03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Lifted 4th Gen running boards or not???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there are a lot of us who would be incredibly grateful to get our hands on a set of directions on how to install around the XREAS.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

The problem is.... there are none because they say they haven't tested it for the XREAS or it won't work with it.

It is exactly the same with the exception of being able to take the strut assembly away from the vehicle to compress it. The lower portion of the strut must be near it's mounting point (within a few inches) so as not to stretch or break the XREAS line.

I think Sedonaz wrote it up pretty nicely in his post. I'll check around though.

Doug
Old 03-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Banned

Doug, Sedonaz says daystar is working on a set for the XREAS ... I just figured if you had a set from your Revtek install, it might give some insight on a similar spacer installation. My problem is, when someone says "strut assembly" or mentions an "arm" or whatnot, I have no idea what piece they're referring to! I guess it's just that any kind of directions or pictures of an install would help me to know exactly what not to pull, and what to compress and what bolts to loosen and what the pivot something-or-other is.

I mean, I know I am not supposed to disconnect the strut assembly, but what part, exactly, is that? I know there are three bolts up top that I'm supposed to loosen ...

I dunno, I just don't have the $ to purchase a manual right now since I'm saving for the spacers. I've tried going through yahoo.com and looking up "daystar instructions" but most of the results were for jeeps and such, so it didn't help too much. I have downloaded the directions for the older gens. from the daystar site, but I'm not quite sure which parts of those instructions I'm to disregard or do differently. I know not to detach the strut assembly or rear shocks ... but ...

it's just confusing at the moment because I don't have a clear picture of what it takes to avoid stretching or breaking the XREAS.

but I do thank you for your help ... I've read all the posts about 4th gen lifts a million times, and still I'm at this place where I feel like I don't have a very good grasp on the visuals.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:42 AM

Any idea what to do with the xreas line on the frame where you would have to bolt/weld the sliders on? I've been trying to figure it out myself.
Herman
Old 03-15-2004, 02:19 AM
Contributing Member

4Route, I will take some pistures of the front end for you this evening. I'll try to get every angle that will be invovled in the lift. Once you see it, it's really simple. It's like riding a bike! Once you learn, you won't forget it.

Hre, that line is pretty flexible. It can be pushed around a little without breaking or denting it. I would plan on just removing the mounts to the frame and then zip tying higher until the sliders have been installed. Once installed you may be able to put the line back in it's original location. You may need to use spacers or relocate it a tad higher to clear the sliders. Drilling a few holes a little higher up shoudn't be a problem at that point.

I would personally plan on sliders that I could mount with only minor moving of the line for the install. You could always use brackets to mount them around the XREAS line. Just a few thoughts.

Doug M.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by 02Runner
Why don't you guys try Wheelers Offroad , they have been really cool with me.

As far as the instructions go, I'm sure someone here can help you out. Hell I may even have left them in my garage. I'll check tomm or so.

Doug M.
Doug,

Did you go with the daystar or Revtek? I noticed on on wheelers site that it says that the revtek kit includes rear shocks. Obviously since you have Xreas you didn't use the shocks. Are the original shocks long enough? Does the daystar kit include shocks?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:09 AM

Approx how much do the running boards weigh, those who have taken them off?
Old 03-15-2004, 09:23 AM

My guess is 20 lbs each. Mine are in my attic...
Old 03-15-2004, 10:00 AM

I think the running boards are more like 12 lbs. each, not very heavy at all.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Banned

very very light. if one fell on you, it would be like being hit with a piece of bacon.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Hey, I have great news................"I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance" ... I know that was gay..just kidding!

I do have more good news. I just found a set of instructions, I think they're Daystar. Either way, they are basically the same. I will scan them tonight and post here in this thread with some pics.

Piston Slap: I went with both. I am going to use the large spacers from each company. Daystar puts theirs on top of the spring assembly and Rev-Tek's larger goes inside the spring assembly. Each lift is two parts, upper and lower. It may give me some bad angles. If it's too bad then I can always drop the diff, but I'll give it a shot first.

I figure I'll end up with what Billy has with his. More or less 40" to the bottom of the front fender at the center of the wheel. When I post pics this evening, I'll show you where I'm putting the Daystar thick upper spacer. or you can see it on Billy's thread he posted a few days ago. Billy's on 315's (35's) (Spacers are in the 3rd pic)

The reason I have to wait to finish this is because I'm waiting for Downey to make available their longer springs for the rear So I can put 35's all the way around. It's been about two weeks now for a month or two!

In the mean time, I'm searching for other options.

Doug

Last edited by 02Runner; 03-15-2004 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

4Route: You are exactly right on the shocks. With this lift, it's advised but not totally necessary. I do still have the Rev Tek rear shocks in my garage on the shelf. I'm eventually going to get around to making an extension plate for my rear XREAS shock mounts. I did say eventually didn't I?

Doug M.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Banned

I'm still debating ... Revtek 3" or Daystar 2.5" ... I have the XREAS too, and just don't quite know which kit to go with. RArrr.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Taints2k3
I took a picture with the running boards on and one with them off. I think I like the looks of it better with out them, but was looking for other opinions.
Let me know what you think...

https://home.comcast.net/~drossi4/running_boards.htm

Without looks sweet. If you added sliders it would look awesome.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4route
Gosh. I keep trying to email daystar, but it keeps getting sent back to me! I'm going to try the 2.5" kit - front and back. I doubt that I will get it done before you though -- I've been having a rough time trying to get ahold of daystar, and I don't trust myself to do the lift, so I'll have to find a place around here.

I wish you luck on your install. How did you get ahold of daystar?? Are the directions they're sending you different from the ones they have on their site??

Hmm.
I got a hold of Dan, at Daystar and he said a write up for installation of a lift kit on a runner with XREAS would be done shortly. I am anxious to install my kit, just need the instructions.