03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

another 4th gen. lift in progress soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark
So if it winds up being ONLY me doing this, is it still doable?
Totally. Just I put the difficulty at the highest for this lift with 1 person and no air tools. Still completely doable.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Banned

Mark ... I did it on my own and I'm just a wee little girl (said in Groundskeeper Willie's voice, mind you).
Old 04-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Banned

I finished my write-up. Just working on the pics now ... the thumbnails are on the site, but the big ones aren't yet.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Banned

okay guys. never thought i'd be saying this again, but, i will soon be wrestling with spring/coil compressors again ...

has anyone found any that they especially enjoy using? i gave my craftsman compressors to fourunnabilly, so i just want to be sure that no one has found any especially great ones before i go buy another set of the craftsman ones.

??
Old 10-27-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by r0cky
okay guys. never thought i'd be saying this again, but, i will soon be wrestling with spring/coil compressors again ...

has anyone found any that they especially enjoy using? i gave my craftsman compressors to fourunnabilly, so i just want to be sure that no one has found any especially great ones before i go buy another set of the craftsman ones.

??
Hey! I should be done with all my spring compression after this saturday and can shoot em right back down to ya. Of course I appreciate your kind gesture!...but I wont accept em for free! Hit me up on the IM so we can resolve this boss r0cky.

Anthony
Old 10-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

??
I wasn't too happy with mine's performance. The rod seems to bend and then it becomes increasingly difficult to turn it. I will be looking at alternatives as well.

Why are you pulling apart your front again?
Old 10-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Banned

bulldog -- exactly! Anthony and I both noticed that the rod starts to bow a bit ... which makes it certainly more difficult to use, not to mention that it sort of scares me.

it looks like for right now I'll just be getting another set of the Craftsman ones that I used before, because at least I know that they fit and work well enough to get the job done, though they aren't what I wish they were.

I'm pulling the front and rear apart again -- I just want to switch over completely to our poly components, and the longer studs at the top plate (because up till now, anyone who had the NE top out spacer was using the old Revtek bolts ... which didn't give much confidence due to being a bit too short for that NE spacer).

I'm going to look around a bit more tonight and see about other compressors ... if I notice anything great, I'll be sure to post here. I sure wish we could use the kind that just goes in the inside of the coil and requires only one piece ... as opposed to the Craftsman setup where there are two and both require a good deal of work.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
I wasn't too happy with mine's performance. The rod seems to bend and then it becomes increasingly difficult to turn it. I will be looking at alternatives as well.

Why are you pulling apart your front again?
all of them will get increasingly harder since you are basically working a power screw. So, as the spring gets compressed more and more, the force that is being exerted against the compressors. the bending could be fixed by using a really expensive set, but the best alternative is to use an air ratchet to turn each side about .5" at a time. I agree with you that hand operated ratchets are a major PITA when the force increases with each turn like that.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Banned

i am such an idiot for doing all this again. not too easy getting a 3.5" rear spacer in there.

next time i mention installing a lift and/or using coil compressors, someone PLEASE remind me that i regret it every time!!
Old 11-25-2004, 02:51 PM

i am such an idiot for doing all this again. not too easy getting a 3.5" rear spacer in there.

next time i mention installing a lift and/or using coil compressors, someone PLEASE remind me that i regret it every time!!

Lol, hang in there r0cky! I think after our phone conversation this morning you will be set to jet. Remember, smart work not hard work... I know you will love the results and new stance of your runner, and once those 35's hit, that is gonna be one sick ride!!! Keep your head up, we all know you can do it.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, hope you all are getting a well deserved break and able to see family. NE will be back in full swing after the holiday weekend. Thanks a TON for all your support of us on this forum...we cannot tell all of you how thankful we are. Take care.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Banned

i finally finished the lift. sore as hell and wiped out, but glad it's over. to be honest, i can't tell much of a difference in looking at it, and the measurements i got seem a bit strange so i'm guessing it'll be different after an alignment and a few days of settling into place.

paint scratched off too, so i'll need to repaint them again. as far as i can tell i didn't break any brake components or sensors, so that's good ... and i definitely know that i can never go any higher than this.

it's a damn good thing we're making diff. drops now!
Old 11-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

congrats, better post pics and measurements.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Banned

will do.