03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

another 4th gen. lift in progress soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another 4th gen. lift in progress soon

Okay, I've been searching through old threads here at yotatech, and looking all over the net to find as much info as I can on suspension lifts. (not to mention how much help I have gotten from GoodTimes, 02Runner, Keisur, etc.) I have decided on the 3" RevTek kit, and will probably be ordering it tomorrow sometime. When it gets in, I will do my best to photograph and writeup the entire process -- I have seen many of you guys promise that, but not always get around to it. Since I have no life but school, and since school is slow lately, I will be able to document the project fairly well (I hope), and will use this thread to post as I go along.

At the moment, my only fear is of the spring compressor. I keep reading old posts about how difficult they are to use, and horror stories relating to randomly explosive off-shoots. So before I tackle this, I would like to know what I can do in order to be as safe as possible (not including taking the parts elsewhere for a shop to do). Also, will I need the internal or the external kind?

Thanks for any pointers you can give me on the compressor, as I just want to lift my truck, not die or wind up a pirate.

Tonight I will be sorting through all the info I've gathered on lifting, and on lifting the 4th gens., and sometime in the next day or two, I'll post here my best attempt at synthesizing all of that info into a decent set of plans. I won't be able to do this without you guys, so please know that any help on any aspect would be so much appreciated. I have the basics down, I think, but just any quirky things you guys faced during your lifts, or any little pieces of advice - anything - don't hesitate to comment here, as I pretty much live at this forum.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4route
Okay, I've been searching through old threads here at yotatech, and looking all over the net to find as much info as I can on suspension lifts. (not to mention how much help I have gotten from GoodTimes, 02Runner, Keisur, etc.) I have decided on the 3" RevTek kit, and will probably be ordering it tomorrow sometime. When it gets in, I will do my best to photograph and writeup the entire process -- I have seen many of you guys promise that, but not always get around to it. Since I have no life but school, and since school is slow lately, I will be able to document the project fairly well (I hope), and will use this thread to post as I go along.

At the moment, my only fear is of the spring compressor. I keep reading old posts about how difficult they are to use, and horror stories relating to randomly explosive off-shoots. So before I tackle this, I would like to know what I can do in order to be as safe as possible (not including taking the parts elsewhere for a shop to do). Also, will I need the internal or the external kind?

Thanks for any pointers you can give me on the compressor, as I just want to lift my truck, not die or wind up a pirate.

Tonight I will be sorting through all the info I've gathered on lifting, and on lifting the 4th gens., and sometime in the next day or two, I'll post here my best attempt at synthesizing all of that info into a decent set of plans. I won't be able to do this without you guys, so please know that any help on any aspect would be so much appreciated. I have the basics down, I think, but just any quirky things you guys faced during your lifts, or any little pieces of advice - anything - don't hesitate to comment here, as I pretty much live at this forum.
Well I have seen some people use two spring compressors, one on each side of the spring and then tighten them equally. The bottom line is just to be careful...What the coil to see that it is collapsing straight. I use one that is permantly mounted and wraps around the coil, therefore, someone who used the portable will probably chime in with some more info...

Mike
Old 03-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Banned

Mike, thanks for the advice ... I'm pretty cautious and definitely know to tighten equally. Nonetheless, I keep hearing people call it a loaded gun, and I'm afraid I'll pull the metaphorical trigger somehow without realizing. I'm thinking of hiding behind a big big wall of thick fiberglass with two arm holes and just working from there. Or, at least wearing a ski helmet and major goggles!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

LOL I think you will be ok, I can understand your concerns though. :^)

Let me know how things work out for you from our last PM

Mike
Old 03-16-2004, 07:19 PM

I'm afraid I'm with Mike on this one. The compressor I used was one that attached all the way around the spring and used a large handle to give you leverage for compressing the spring. IMHO, this is THE way to go if you can get access to one.

If you go with the "rent-a-compressor" route, you may need 2 compressors to get the spring compressed evenly (one on each side of the spring). Those rental compressors are a PITA unless you have air tools. Wrenching down the spring sux with hand tools.

My suggestion would be to find a local shop that has a compressor. If you have another vehicle to drive (or a friend to take you) while yours is being worked on, run the struts down to the shop and have them install the spacers for you. I'd be willing to bet they won't charge very much to do the compression and installation of the spacers. Therefore, you can avoid the risk and effort of compressing the springs yourself.

Good luck !

Steve
Old 03-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Banned

I don't think that is an option for me since I cannot fully disconnect the strut assembly. I will approach with caution, and if I have any fear that it is not working correctly or safely, believe me, I will stop and get a shop to help. I do have air tools, and I was planning on getting 2 compressors ... just for safety's sake. My best bet is that this will work, and I am very willing to take as much time as I need just to keep everything safe.

I know it is dangerous, but pretty much anything can poke an eye out or make for danger if you don't handle it correctly. The horror stories are very discouraging though ... but I really think that if I go slow and be careful, this will work just fine without anyone losing any body parts.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Hi there, you will not need to take apart the coil packs to remove them, so you will be able to take them down to a shop to have them disassembled. I am not aware of your location, however, you could always have a "wrench-a-thon and there could be individuals who have done it or have the equipment...That is always an option as well :^)

Mike
Old 03-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Banned

I have XREAS, and I know the RevTek is not made for XREAS, but as you probably also know, some other 4th gens. with XREAS have accomplished this lift -- it just takes more time and more care, and that was my concern with removing the strut assembly - seems I have to keep everything pretty close to the base where the XREAS line goes, in order to maintain its function after the lift.

I just need to take a good look at the suspension so I understand exactly where the XREAS line runs.

Last edited by r0cky; 07-14-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:56 PM

What made you finally decide on the Revtek over the Daystar? I know you've been looking at both options, anything that you've read convince you one vs the other. Any write ups/opinions when you are done with the project would be greatly appreciated!
Herman
Old 03-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Banned

I decided on the RevTek just based on hearing the most about their product as far as quality and design. The RevTek system is similar to the DayStar, but not exactly the same. The following site provided me with a lot of insight:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/revtek.html

Mostly, it is just personal preference - I have been getting a lot of help from GoodTimes and he keeps recommending the RevTek kit ... also, someone from San Antonio pointed out that a Toyota dealership down there actually sells and installs the RevTek kit - I don't live near that area at all, but I figure just having the option of having it worked on there would be nice. I don't know. Really no real scientific explanation behind it. People seem pretty up in the air about the two kits and their differences. Sorry, I know that doesn't help much!

In case it might help you -- the DayStar is certainly less expensive, and just as many members have used it on their 4th gens as the RevTek ... I have read so many posts and threads and websites in the last few weeks that I've forgotten where all I read these things, but I did get the sense in general that people were of the opinion that RevTek was, in some way, a superior product (but not by much). I, myself, have no idea yet!

And don't worry, soon as I get to order them and get all my tools, I will absolutely document each step along the way (because I know how much it would've helped me to have had some for our generation as well).
Old 03-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

I decided on the RevTek just based on hearing the most about their product as far as quality and design. The RevTek system is similar to the DayStar, but not exactly the same. The following site provided me with a lot of insight:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/revtek.html
you know that link you posted is for a leaf sprung rear right? I'm not aware of a Revtek 4th gen solution. am I wrong?

Last edited by keisur; 03-16-2004 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Banned

˟˟˟˟˟, that was the wrong link ... disregard it and I will try to find the one I meant to post. (thanks keisur for pointing that out ... happen to have an extra set of eyes lying around that you might be willing to donate to me?!)
Old 03-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

Mike, thanks for the advice ... I'm pretty cautious and definitely know to tighten equally. Nonetheless, I keep hearing people call it a loaded gun, and I'm afraid I'll pull the metaphorical trigger somehow without realizing. I'm thinking of hiding behind a big big wall of thick fiberglass with two arm holes and just working from there. Or, at least wearing a ski helmet and major goggles!
maybe you can stop by the police station and borrow one of there bomb squad suits.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

˟˟˟˟˟, that was the wrong link ... disregard it and I will try to find the one I meant to post. (thanks keisur for pointing that out ... happen to have an extra set of eyes lying around that you might be willing to donate to me?!)
just one eye:

EDIT: this may help a little it's for 3rd gens though.
http://www.revtekindustries.com/docs...a/INSTAL4R.PDF

Last edited by keisur; 03-16-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Banned

And yes, sir, RevTek makes a kit for 4th gens. ... it's 3" ... fourrunnabilly has it ...
Old 03-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Banned

also, 02Runner has the 3" RevTek on his, despite the XREAS.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Banned

oh ... another reason I chose RevTek is from willymoe's recommendation:

"I do not have the X-reas system on my runner. If you search the forums you will find that I was the first to install the Rev-Tek lift.
I work for a shop that lifts and lowers car and trucks and have had exposure to the Rev-Tek stuff for years. The reason I used the Rev-Tek product is because of the engineering that they put into their product. If you compare the Rev-Tek to the Daystar on the shelf you will see that they are totally different in design. The lifts both have the same two components on the front. They have a pre-load spacer that goes between the spring and the mounting plate and a top out spacer between the mounting plate and the strut mount (attached to the frame). The Daystar uses a thinner pre-load spacer and a thicker top out spacer. This in theory gives a softer ride but it also causes the upper ball joint to contact the spring at the point that the suspension droops out. It doesn't take long for the ball joint to go bad when this happens. The Rev-Tek does not have this design and thus does not have this problem."
Old 03-17-2004, 03:18 AM

Where are you located? Sounds like you just need an extra pair of hands. Maybe someone in your area who has installed a spacer lift can help you?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member

I have read that lifting above 2" will cause premature CV failure. If you stay in the 2" range, you will be fine. Lefty/Steve has 2". But I am not sure if he has 2" on all four corners.

The Revtek is 3", which is kinda pushing the limits of reliable CV function. I like the Daystar because it is 2.5".

The best scenario for me would be a 2" front spacer with a 1" rear spacer. I just want to level the Runner and add about an inch for tire clearance. No company makes such a spacer for the '03 with XREAS. So, I guess I will wait for Cornfed or other sizes of Revtek/Daystar.

4route: I hear your apprehension. I am hesitant in installing a lift by myself. I value my life and my wife's life too much to have a bad install flip the vehicle or worse have a strut assembly decide to drop out at freeway speed. I changed the cabin air filter yesterday and felt proud of my wrenching skills.

Anybody in the Triangle area of NC know of a good 4WD shop that has the skills necessary to work around a delicate XREAS system?

Last edited by Sac State; 03-17-2004 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:01 AM

What is the price difference that you are finding between the Revtek and the Daystar? I am guessing that the daystar is less because it does not include the rear shock like the Revtek kit does.

Quick Reply: another 4th gen. lift in progress soon