Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ZUK Coil Mod .....an email received

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
ZUK Coil Mod .....an email received

I just received this email and thought some of the info would benefit the searchers ....below is a copy/paste/re-construction of it....

ZUK, you be the man! A sincere Thanks! Here's some pics for you. Some steps others may fine helpful:

When cutting the top bumper stop, use a new blade in your sawzall
Handy man jacks can be hazardous to your health, use two, one on each side, watch for sliding out.
Disconnect shock if your spreading springs with a bottle jack, other wise use a coil compressor.
Install a LSPV bracket for brakes on diff.
Probably will need to adjust your head lights

I used the black magic 14" coils rated at 150# on a '89 Toyota 4x4. Couldn't be happier!

Unbelievable, can't remember where I first found this but it's called the Weldless ZUK Coil Mod. It's become very popular with sagging trucks. Simple amazement, I can't believe how nice the ride is. Took me two days (part of Newbold's Law), But with proper tools, lifts and co-operative weather, one could do this mod in a few hours. In addition to a nice ride I increased the load capacity i.e. I can carry some firewood. I had a real sagger to start with, My rear view mirror is now functional through my topper window.

Since I did this I now understand one can forget cutting the bumper stop and install a much wider spring. Oh well, I love the ride.

Before performing the ZUK Mod, Horrible on bumps and washboard, couldn't carry any weight in the bed. Note the distance between the rubber bumper and the stopper. Now to cram a 14" spring in that space.

Top bumper stop cut to 1"

Black Magic 14'' /150# springs , still supported w/ jack

After; HS What a smooth riding machine- With out exaggeration rides Better than NEW! Got a nice Stink Bug Butt Lift Look. Hauls on washboard! Holds on high speed bumpy turns.
Pictured here loaded with 300# plus in bed. The measurement from the top of the rim to the top of the wheel wheel went from 10.5" to 15.5"
Forget add a leafs, re arching, I had them in another toyota truck, expensive and never road well no matter what the cargo weight was.

Keep up the good work! Best,
Mike
Old 03-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally did my own Zuk mod (no cutting required)

That '89 looks great! It has some nice lift in the bed.

First off my hat's off to Zuk for coming up with a cheap, easy, and effective way to fix the old "i'mridingonmybumpstops" problem. This really is an easy efficient way to make your ride worlds smoother and help the the handling out a lot.

I have wanted to do this mod for quite a while after reading about it on yotatech, but I didn't want to cut my bumpstops to do it. I know it's not that big a deal to do it, but I just preferred to leave the bumpstops alone in case i ever wanted to take the coils back out.

There's another thread on yotatech about no cutting Zuk mods, most guys go with TJ coils. I went with the guy in Fort Smith, AR who sells Southwest Speed coils. ordered the 13" X 5"1/2 rated at 125#'s. Forget his name but he was very professional and shipped them out fast. Ordered on Friday and got them on Monday. Payed just under $80 shipped for the set.

Did the mod this past weekend, pretty simple to do: I only needed a floor jack, bottle jack, spring compressor and jack stands.

Spring and compressors on my front seat

I did it one wheel at a time. Jacked up the truck from under the wheel. Supported the frame (just ahead of the leafs), and lowered the drum down as far as it would go (put plywood under it). I then cranked the coils down as far as the compressors could get them...they still needed an inch or so to clear the bump stops. I went ahead and used my bottle jack between the leafs and frame to give me a little more room to squeeze the coils in.

Coil in

I didn't take any pictures before I took the wheel off but here's a picture that shows how the rear is sagging from last summer

After the coils were in

I know it looks a little high in pictures, but I like it in person. (it's also on a bit of a slope, with no weight but my toolbox in the back). I'm thinking about putting some 31"s on there this summer anyway.

As I said, it rides and handles worlds better than previously. Thanks Zuk!

Also comments welcome on the truck, painted it last summer with interlux brightside (rolled on boat paint). looking for any criticism/praise.

DO THE ZUK MOD! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:10 PM

nlinn,

looks good man. Nice runner, the paint looks great. So are the tj coils you used front or rear? They are just stock coils off of a jeep tj?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM

Thanks man, the paint took a while but it was cheap and it looks pretty good in person.
I actually didn't use TJ coils, a lot of guys do but I decided to go with these Southwest Speed Springs instead, they're not stock on anything that I know of.

(I just mentioned the TJ's because I believe they're similar)

Sorry if that was a little confusing...here's the link to them on Ebay;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280269072877...#ht_1768wt_939
Old 03-06-2012, 05:46 PM

got it. thanks for the link.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:36 PM

nlinn, paint job looks great, i myself am going to do a roll-on soon, hope my turns out as good as yours