86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will 63 in chevies work w/BJ spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will 63 in chevies work w/BJ spacers

If I run 1.5in BJ spacers up front would the chevy swap in the back level it out? Also would the Chevies work with a SAS if I go that route later? Guess I should mention I have a 89 4Runner with a 3.0. Thanks Bryan
Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll have an "Aussie" look, but it should be OK.

Yes, the chev's will work with a SAS.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned fruitloop

Springs

Here is a good link, read it before you reply.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20665
Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM

What is this "Aussie" look you speak of? Thanks Bryan
Old 01-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

i just did the chevy swap on my 89 truck. love the ride. pretty easy swap. the magic number for me was ten and one eighth of an inch. that is how far forwards i had to move my front hanger to keep the axle in stock location.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by bryan
The"drilling for oil" look.

It will probably give you about 2+" of lift, so it will be OK.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by tortis
i just did the chevy swap on my 89 truck. love the ride. pretty easy swap. the magic number for me was ten and one eighth of an inch. that is how far forwards i had to move my front hanger to keep the axle in stock location.
Did you have to move the rear hangar any? What have you done to the front suspension on yours? Thanks Bryan.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:15 PM

drilling for oil? .... I don't get it.

-FroZen
Old 01-09-2008, 03:29 AM
Contributing Member

Did you have to move the rear hangar any? What have you done to the front suspension on yours? Thanks Bryan.
i used the factory hangers. i cut them off and moved them back about 4" to where the shackle is at 45 degrees. no mods on the front. it raised the rear about 1" above stock level. i hope you have faith in your welding.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aussie look? Drilling for oil?

What the feck man....?

The only terms I've seen used are bulldogged for high in the front and raked for high in the back.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM

I'm only high in the ass when empty and it doesn't look too bad. When loaded to go camping I sit nice and level and really appreciate the height in the back. I used to bang my rearend constantly w/ my stock saggy springs.

Springs were a bit of work to figure out where to put them. I ended up w/ a shackle that's 7 3/4" eye2eye that gives me about a 40 deg angle using the stock rear hanger. I moved the front spring hanger forward until the center pin of the leaf springs was just in front on center in the wheel well.

Had to figure this out w/ trial and error and some basic trig after the first attempt didn't really work out. Using the length of the leaf springs and the length between the shock mounts, you can figure out roughly how much lift you will get w/ different length shackles. A perfect 45deg would have been about an 8 1/4" long shackle but I didn't want any more lift so I stuck w/ 40deg.

I've attached a spreadsheet for open office that I used to try different length shackles to see how much height I would get. The height isn't absolute height but it lets you experiment a little and compare how much more height you would get w/ different shackles or mount locations.

It also depends on the chevy's. Mine are well used, maybe a newer set would give you more height.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
shackle_angle_calculator.zip (7.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 01-09-2008, 12:43 PM

for those that dont have oo
Old 01-09-2008, 01:09 PM

Here is my write up on the swap, Chevy Spring Swap. I read up on the pirate thread and it helps but I felt there where a few things left out. I tired to make things clear in my write up, such as the way to measure the distances etc. My father runs BJ spacers on his 4runner and my rear setup would be a great match for his front. Just note the shackle lenght and angle. I would recommend buying a Toyota rear hanger and placing it directly behind the stock one and using a similar length shackle to what I run. Also try to find a Toyota truck load leaf, the 4runner load leafs suck and so do the chevy's. You'll also need to think about a double cardon drive shaft.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Maybe if you're smart enough, you would be able to figure it out by yourself.
Read the damn link above and it will clearly tell you Chevy's provide you with about 3" of lift. SO with 1.5" BJ spacers 3" lift in the back. Think hard what that's going to look like.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bear80
Here is my write up on the swap, Chevy Spring Swap.You'll also need to think about a double cardon drive shaft.
Why in the world would he need a double cardon shaft with 3" of lift?
It's 3" for god's sake, put some shims in and call it a day.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:28 PM

The shims acutally point the pinion at the t-case, meaing you'll need a double cardon at the t-case end.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by yarosig
Maybe if you're smart enough, you would be able to figure it out by yourself.
Read the damn link above and it will clearly tell you Chevy's provide you with about 3" of lift. SO with 1.5" BJ spacers 3" lift in the back. Think hard what that's going to look like.
I have the feeling you're talking out your arse here. Have you done a spring swap and know what setup will give what amount of lift?? The chevy springs can be setup to give anywhere from 2.5-4" of lift. It's not a dead 3" or nothing.

Last edited by Bear80; 01-09-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:33 PM

Here is a shot of my truck with the front set at the same hight as my father's 4runner on BJ spacers. The rear springs set slightly higher but it's hard to tell in the pic due to driveway slope.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

I have the feeling you're talking out your arse here. Have you done a spring swap and know what setup will give what amount of lift?? The chevy springs can be setup to give anywhere from 2.5-4" of lift. It's not a dead 3" or nothing.
true. i am running three springs which yielded about 1 inch over stock. i kept the stock rear shackles and moves the rear mount about 4". my spring were off a new truck, if you get them off an older truck results will very. if you have an hour, pirate has an on going thread about the 63'' spring swap... it should answer all your questions, and see what mistakes others have made.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM

Yes I have done the swap before. Did it on my 1980 which gave me 1" lift because I built an extremely heavy bed in the back. I'm about to do it on my 89 4runner this weekend. I estimate with the hardtop, this setup will net my about 2.5" of lift. I'll have pics for this guy considering I am going to be cranking my bars up 1.5".

Quick Reply: Will 63 in chevies work w/BJ spacers