Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What just happened to my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, just looked at all the pics to see that the backing plate is still intact. That has got to be a retaining collar failure, or installed wrong. Either way, the shop is liable because if it isn't installer failure, then it's part failure. I've worked in a napa auto care center for many years now, when parts fail, there are things called labor claims where the shop will get reimbursed a certain amount for having to replace a failed parts. Either way, don't take no for an answer. Get the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) involved if the shop is jerking you around even in the littlest of ways. That right there is almost grounds for a lawsuit. Good luck and keep us informed

Edit :By retaining collar, I mean the c clip. sorry

Last edited by skoti89; 11-09-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Also, that axle flange looks new, but what is that discoloration on the axle shaft? Rust?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:19 PM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by thenewman
Quick update. He isn't budging on the c clip failure. And twist is that he had it all together when I got there!! TOLD HIM NOT TO BUT DID IT ANYEAY
i think that we've said from the beginning that this shop is dodgy?

to expand on what others have stated... Toyotas don't have c-clips!! see the pic of a ford c-clip rear end below... notice how it's much beefier than the Toyota snap ring? and there isn't any bearing retainer?

that's because it's designed to hold the axle in, but afaik, the Toyota axle is held in by the pressed-on bearing retainer... if the retainer is loose and it slides into the snap ring, i'm thinking that the ring might fail, or if the ring wasn't installed correctly, it would slide right off.

people re-use the bearing retainers, but they are supposed to be replaced every time that you swap the bearing... it has to be a tight fit on the axle.

here is a great video of improper installation of the snap ring... it also shows how a "shop" can screw up the install in just about every way possible:

Old 11-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
^^ he is right. Technically, they are called snap rings. I have erroneously been saying c-clip too.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would not trust that shop anymore.

either that shop fixes it correctly, or bring in a lawyer. sounds like it's heading that way either way.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:34 PM

gotta say guys first of all thanks for all of you that responded and helped me understand better about what happened to my truck. great info, videos and pics.

A quick update. I have decided to get a full refund on the parts and labor that I have invested in the axle with this guy. I do not have piece of mind about him doing any more work to my truck. He did offer to replace my axle with one of my choice as long as it was comparable in price. I could see that it was going to continue to be difficult to deal with this guy so I think the best thing to do is move on. I am contacting him in the morning about the refund. I found an entire axle assembly drum to drum not far from me today for $125! So I will prob get that and get another shop to press new bearings and all on. They guy even ground down my splines bc some had gotten eaten up as they turned in the housing somewhere for a little while ( still not too sure how the spines got eaten up. it was not at the end but about 1/3 from the end. ground up in spots and not sure really what did it. would have thought it would have been at the very end of the spines if it was the housing) And he said they were "fine bc the spider gears did not even touch that part of the splines". Well as it turns out I asked him to take the spider gears out for me to make sure nothing was wrong, and what do ya know the splines ride right where he ground them down! So with out much more fuss I am finding another mechanic to work on my truck. Again thanks guys for the help.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:54 PM

holy crap dude, they destroyed your axle. what's the name of this shop so we can start spreading the word about this place?

also, don't settle for anything less then a full refund.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Any update on this?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:42 AM

Actually had the same shop fix everything for me again. Shop owner apologized for screwing up and wanted to make it right. He replaced everything again. I was happy when all was done. Main thing I told him was to just admit in the future if he makes mistakes....we all do. Next thing I'm looking for are some shackles to lift my saggy bottom :-)
Old 11-21-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by thenewman
Actually had the same shop fix everything for me again. Shop owner apologized for screwing up and wanted to make it right. He replaced everything again. I was happy when all was done. Main thing I told him was to just admit in the future if he makes mistakes....we all do. Next thing I'm looking for are some shackles to lift my saggy bottom :-)
Im glad they took care of it and made it right. I am an Automotive Technician, and hate when I see stuff like this, and shops that will not stand behind the work they do. I hold myself to a higher standard then even my employer does. I will not let anything out the door that is not fixed correctly. Granted mistakes do happen, we are all human. Whats sets things apart is taking care of them promptly, admitting to the mistake, and apologizing for it.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:56 AM

Thats awesome they fixed everything that they screwed up. There's a few shops i know of around here i will never take my rig to, not even for something simple that i might not have time to do. It's sad that there are a lot of shops out there that just simply don't care. Hopefully this doesn't happen again!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Im amazed the guy owned up. I was for sure this was goimg south for you.
Glad it worked out. Shop owner had a soul afterall.