YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

W56 Reverse Idler Gear Replacement

Hi All,

I got a chipped reverse idler gear in my 89 - 22re, w56 tranny. I did a crappy reverse shift while loaded and apparently chipped the gear.

I tore it apart and confirmed that the gear is chipped. Everything else is in good shape.

Any suggestions where I can buy a new replacement gear?? I did some searches but did not get any good results.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
shopman809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #2

Call up Idaho Transmission Warehouse. They have a ton of transmission parts, if they don't have it they would know someone that would.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

thanks for the suggestion. I called Idaho Trans and the guy doesn't have it but is looking into it for me.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I tried all state gear, east coast gear, the toyota dealer, and even asked engnbldr for some suggestions. No one has it or knows anyone that makes them. Also toyota says they are discontinued.

The OEM number is 33402-22023.

Worse case I'll have to buy a used or reman trans from somewhere.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #4

If you are still looking for reverse gears give Terry a call at T&B Trans in Washington state.
http://www.tbtrans.com/id6.htm 1-800-405-4226

I've gotten new and used parts for two W56's and everything I received looked really good and at fair prices. He will have used parts for the reverse.

FYI, he will ask you for a measurement of the small piece on the reverse arm (small rectangular piece held on by a c-clip) that slides into the reverse idler gear. There are at least two different sizes, one that measures approx. .3800" and the other .3050", make sure you get the right one.

Good luck
wolftrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

Update,,,
Idaho Transmission hooked me up. They did not have it but they found one and got it out to me. It was in very good shape for being used and fit like a glove. Saved me from shopping for another tranny.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
85, clicks, gear, idler, pickup, replace, replacement, replacing, reverse, tech, toyota, transmission, w56, yota