Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turn on the Map light, turn off the clock???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Turn on the Map light, turn off the clock???

So i've had an on going issue with the baby runner (89, 3.0, auto) for a while now.. the map and dome lights dont work, when you open the door or turn on the map light the clock looses power. also the passenger side window does not work, even after replacing the Door Control, Power Window Realy and driver side switch.. all replacements were bought at local junk yards but was told they worked prior to installation. the passenger side window rolles up and down just fine if you jump the motor and run it direct off the +12v.

the weird part is, the clock USED to work fine, the passenger side window USED to work, until i got the driver side window motor replaced.. once i replaced that, then the driver side worked but the passenger side didnt, and the clock started doing its weird thing...

besides getting in there and start chasing wires, does anyone have any idea of places to start??

Last edited by Tofer; 01-23-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
what made you replace that motor in the dirst place? did it completely stop working, and everything else was working fine (like the clock, and the other side window)

Sounds to me like maybe the circuit for all of those run to a common ground, and it's not a very good ground...
Old 01-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Sponsor

correct.. when i first got the truck, the passenger side window worked, the clock worked. but the driver window did not work, did some testing and poking, replaced the switch and driver side motor. then the driver side worked but the passenger side did not, that is also when the clock / map lights started acting up. I replaced the Door Control and Power Window Relay today, thinking that it would fix this issue but nothing has changed. driver side still works passenger side does not, and i can turn the clock off by opening the door.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
do you still have the old original switch that came with the truck?

could try and swap that back in and see what happens...

that's pretty odd...

how many switches have you tried?

Maybe you got ahold of a bad one as a replacement?

Or, maybe even there in the door, a wire is chafed, and that's what's been causing the issues all along?

it's REALLY hard to say unfortunately...
Old 01-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by yota4runna
Starting with the wiring diagram in the FSM....

The clock gets its power from the cigarette lighter fuse. The cigarette lighter fuse gets its power from the "D" wire at the top of the diagram [page 5 in your FSM's electrical wiring diagrams in the back]. This "D" wire comes from the "accessory" position on your ignition switch. Sounds like the ignition switch might be a good starting point for troubleshooting.
so, i just double check it, as long as the key is in the ON position of the ignition, the cigarette lighter has power... regardless is the door is open/map lights turn on (which kills power to the clock).. so the brake is somewhere between cig lighter and the clock....

i may tare my whole dash apart today and make sure nothing is crossed wired, although i highly doubt what little stretch room the body harness provides would be enough to get ANYTHING crossed up.. it's usually a "if it reaches its correct" getting everything plugged in.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
do you still have the old original switch that came with the truck?

could try and swap that back in and see what happens...

that's pretty odd...

how many switches have you tried?

Maybe you got ahold of a bad one as a replacement?

Or, maybe even there in the door, a wire is chafed, and that's what's been causing the issues all along?

it's REALLY hard to say unfortunately...
original switch has been thrown out / lost since i bought the replacement. i bought the replacement switch from josh at NIX99 and it looked as if he reached into a time warp and grabbed one off the dealer shelf. its looked flawless.

like i said in the previous post, i think i will tare it apart today and see if i can find anything obviously wrong.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Sponsor

bump... anyone have an idea. i've check all the grounds, i swear it has to be the lock out switch but i cannot figure out where its broken
Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
When I bought my truck, I couldn't roll up the passenger side window from the drivers side. I could roll it down though. The drivers side window would roll up and down no problem. The passenger side switch would roll that window up/down fine. Anyhow, I had the drivers side switch control completely replaced and that fixed the problem. I don't know why. It's a VERY basic unit.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my dome light didnt work. i took it out, took a file, and sanded the metal prongs really well, as it made sure i covered every part of each prong and made sure it was silvery new. plugged it in and it worked.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Sponsor

its not jut a dome light issue.. the dome light / map light / courtesy lights turns off the clock....
Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say you have a short...somewhere.