Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tranny fluid 10 yrs. old

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mwc951
I'm in the same situation. I've not seen any write-up's on servicing the auto tranny though. I'd assume you'd want to drop the pan and change the filter too?
Search, and you will find. We have lots of good info on DIY tranny flushes here. This will get you started.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never had trouble with mine UNTIL it had a complete flush.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't doubt that a lot of people have experienced problems after a transmission FLUSH. This is not the same as changing the fluid and cleaning the screen. When they do a flush at a service center all they are doing is setting you up for an overhaul. If they do what is called a "back flush" even worse still. In my opinion this is a totally useless service. Don't ever do this unless you do it yourself. The best thing is to drop the pan and change it out which absolutely will cause no problems unless you do something wrong.

You have to remember, some places need work bad enough to cheat you. I can make a transmission leak too, all I have to do is overfill it a little, then when the customer comes back about the leak I could tell them they have a major problem and make some easy money. Why on earth would anyone do this you may ask. The quick answer is that karma hasn't caught up to them yet but it usually does.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have to weigh in on this one, i wheel my 93 auto pretty hard during the summer and even during the winter when i can. i had my trans flushed, full service, pan cleaned, screen checked, dip stick tube sealed and a conditioner added.

last season, i towed a trailer (2500 lbs) to at least three events, wheeled hard (water, sand, mud, rocks & gravel), towed said trailer home. i have a trans cooler installed as well, my trans temp light has never come on since the service. it did a couple of times before the service and cooler install.

my mechs gave me the same story about flushing potentially causing leaks. of all the people, the dealer where i buy most of my parts (parts guy worth his weight in gold) told me not to worry about it. called the 25 yr master service tech in and i specifically asked him about flushing the trans. he asked me what i used the truck for and i told him, asked me if the light ever came on, yes a couple of times before. told him about the cooler, he said that was the best thing i ever could have done for the trans.

ive been lucky with the trans shop ive been dealing with, found a gem. everything they have done for me is guaranteed and they havent led me astray.

the ace up my sleeve is, a member of my club is a cert. mech and his specialty was transmissions. i run things past him and he helps with the ?'s to ask. there are going to be arguments for and against complete flush as well as drain and fill. waskilly wabbit and bamachem i believe, have a couple of very good, detailed write-ups on how to service your trans yourslelf. check their posts for the write-ups, it will give you some very good information.

good luck with what ever you choose to do, please keep us posted on how things turned out.

lee