Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing Chain Noise on Startup, no broken guides.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Noise on Startup, no broken guides.

Hey fellas, I have been visiting a lot since I got my truck, a 95 22re. I have found a lot of info, and very much enjoy the site. I am stumped by my timing chain though, I had a new timing kit (chain, sprockets, tensioner, and guides) put in in May of this year. I have noticed lately that the same noise has developed during the 3 or 4 seconds after startup, then the engine sounds great. I have taken it to 1 mechanic who I trust, and he said immediately it is the timing chain making the noise. So I took the valve cover off and checked the guides. Both in great shape, cannot tell anything at all wrong with them. So I am led to believe that I have an issue with my tensioner. I also have read about noise occuring from having the valve cover on too tight, but I am not sure what makes that noise, or why it would stop after a few seconds of running. I have been unable to find anything on the forums here about it, so I am just wondering what you all think. Honestly I am very curious as to how the tensioner actually works, what does it do on startup, and is it supposed to maintain its position after shutoff.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Tensioner is Hydraulic, so it needs oil pressure to do it's job. Get a oil filter that has a anti-drainback valve in it. If that dosn't work then it's possible the tensioner could be loose/leaking oil after shut off.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:48 PM

I don't suppose there is an easy way to check the tensioner, is there? My filter has an anti-drainback valve. Thanks for the response btw.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM

What filter do you run? Is it the same filter every time? They are not all made equal.

The chain may have worn fast? Just a guess, but maybe the chain has got lose enough to require a lot of pressure from the oil pump for the tensioner to be able to take up the slack?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where did you buy the replacment parts from? I'll tell you that the Toyota factory tensioner for that truck will last longer than any other aftermarket tesioner our there. Even if you buy a timing kit from walbobs you should get the tensioner from toyota otherwise you won't always get a good one.... tensioner needs oil pressure for it to operate it acts just like a oil shock. Not unless you stretched the chain out already from heavy loads and high reving..... then its prolly the tensioner.... not unless its valves.... does the sound have kind of a pinging in it? Possible oil restiction too.... possible oil filter but not likely.... low on oil in your truck?

Last edited by Kiroshu; 12-03-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:16 PM

Sounds like a poo poo tensioner.Happened to me a couple of months after doing my chain too.+ 1 on the osk tensioner,will never use another no namer.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd put in a new good quality oil filter. A malfunctioning anti-drainback valve will cause what you're describing. It's the cheapest thing to try.

If the tensioner is going bad you might as well replace the whole timing set while you're in there. Engnbldr's kits come with OSK tensioners.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i know lol.. why doesn't he just use all o.s.k?

x3 for o.s.k
Old 12-05-2009, 07:54 AM

I have been reading up on oil filters, and it sounds like I do not have the best out there for drainback valve performance. I am going to try a new filter first. As far as noise goes, I am sure it is from the chain, it stops after a few seconds every time and I do not hear it again until another cold start (or just a start after it has sat for 10 minutes or so, not always cold). I have adjusted the valves to spot onto specs, and they are making almost no noise at all anymore. If the oil filter does not do it, I am going to aim for the tensioner.

Thanks again for the thoughts.