86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up timing chain

Ok, i new here to the site and i need your help.

I bought a 4x4 86 4runner 22re. It wasn't running when i bought it($200). The previous owner thought the timing chain broke.

I don't thing that is the case because the rotor botton turns and the plugs are getting fire.

My next thought was the fuel pump. Did the searches and rulled that out, i use a jumper wire in the plug on inner fender and the pump pumped gas good. I relpaced the filter. Checked the fuses under driverside dash, all good.

So far, it will fire somtimes, but not enough to stay running. I relpaced the distr. cap, botton, pluges and wires. And still wont start.

Im almost ready to buy some matches.LOL
Has anyone else had similar problems, or know any thing else that may help me.

My next step was to get a compression guage and see what that reads.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uhh, I don't have a 22re, nor have I very much experience, but if the timing chain went there is a very good chance there is damage. The 22re is an interference engine. The pistons would be smashing against the valves. You can still get spark though if your chain goes. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 11-09-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by da_bigg_wigg
You can still get spark though if your chain goes. Correct me if I'm wrong...
im more of a 3vze expert... but MANY MANY times the distrubuter is driven off the cam shaft which is driven off the crank via the timming belt/chain.

broken timming chain/belt = no cam movement = no distubutor rotation = no fire (unless your lucky and then only 1 will work )
Old 11-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Check the intake air tube and rubber boots for any cracks or tears. Even the tiniest air leak between the air filter bolt/AFM and the throttle body will cause the engine not to run, it may start but will typically die right away.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:02 PM

weak battery? test the coil?

and welcome.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:23 PM

Update

checked intake line/tube. no cracks/leaks that i can find.

just though about the old gas that might be in the tank. Its been awhile since ive smelled old gas, didn't smell to old to me, but its worth a try. I don't really know how long is sat before i got it.

Im pretty sure the cam is the drive for the distr., which is driven by the crank too. not 100% on that.

Thankx for the help
Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 PM

Just bought a brand new battery.

Definently getting spark. How can i test if the coil is weak?

Also thought maby the starter is not turning the motor fast enough, it seems like is has a little drag to it. Had to tap on it to get it to work the first time.
what do you guys think?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:01 PM

Also meant to note;
What does the fuse "GLOW AM1" (80 amp) control. Its located under hood, passeger side fuse block, Directly above "diesel Glow" fuse that is not there for obvious reasons(not a diesel). It doesn't look blown, but is corroded.

the manual dosen't specify from where i'v read.

thanks
Old 11-09-2006, 02:43 PM

check if your timing is off you will have to take off the valve cover there is a mark on the timing chain and on the T chain sprocket they need to be set at top dead center then look at where your crank shaft pully is at it should be lined up with the zero on the timing marker that is on the mortor above the pully.if they are off it is your timing.
heres a good link that may help with visual
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timingchain/

Last edited by CyMoN; 11-09-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:26 PM

Id also say it sounds like a timing issue. good idead to check the cam sproket with the harmonic balancer on the crank shaft to make sure the marks line up. i have heard a couple of stories of the timing chain not actually breaking but jumping due to slack in the chain, that could throw off the timing too. and still get spark. usually they just get slack and bind up and break other things though. LOL!

hope ya get it, 200 bucks is a great deal on a 4x4 runnin or not. those 22re's motors are like a sewing machine though and will run through some pretty harsh lack of maintenance. LOL!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:35 PM

Well, the good thing is that the engine turns over. The first thing you should do is a compression check. This will tell you if you have a mechanical problem. You can probably even get a compression gauge through the rent a tool program at Autozone. Even if the engine ran I would still do a compression check. Not sure about the compression specs but I can get them for you if needed. I have access to Toyota's online repair manual (TIS). Let me know!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:51 PM

Comp. specs would be great! Im going to go to Autozone first thing tomarrow.

what about MAF senser? A buddy just told me it may be that or another senser on the trottlebody.

How can i check the check engine code? i was told by jumping the wires in a plug with a paperclip.

This site is great! Already learned alot and saved alot of time and trouble! Thankx again
Old 11-09-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by cruisinforburgers
Id also say it sounds like a timing issue. good idead to check the cam sproket with the harmonic balancer on the crank shaft to make sure the marks line up. i have heard a couple of stories of the timing chain not actually breaking but jumping due to slack in the chain, that could throw off the timing too. and still get spark. usually they just get slack and bind up and break other things though. LOL!

hope ya get it, 200 bucks is a great deal on a 4x4 runnin or not. those 22re's motors are like a sewing machine though and will run through some pretty harsh lack of maintenance. LOL!
Lined up TDC on the crank, and the rotor points to #1. Not positive its the compression stroke, possibly 180 out,but i wouldn't think it is because the guy before drove it for at least a year.

Not to mention, when he bought it, it supposedly had a freash rebuild. Which i would hope/expect included a new timing chain. Which is another reason i don't think the chain is the prob., but anythings possible.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:38 PM

Here are the compression spec and the timing mark references. Just be sure to remove all the plugs before check performing the compression check. Also hold the throttle all the way open when checking.

Good Luck!

Old 11-10-2006, 07:42 AM

Did the comp. test. Not good, 50 on first cylinder, 130 on second.