Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

is there a "plug and play" AFM out there????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nashman00
dude you on the fine line it has not blown up nore melted

that is where you are getting you power from a leaner running motor

what you air ratio is i have not clue my guess would be 17 maybe who knows

you all so have knock sensor in there to kick down timing to prevent pinging as well
I have no idea what you just typed there. I'm guessing that you are saying that a leaner running motor offers more power than a tuned one?

every car that is made is made to be dumb proof reliability factor like at full song you car runs a 10 ratio or what ever
Ok so a dumb proof motor at full song has 10 something?

you have not taken this ratio and changed it this is were this power is coming form cause you afm tells the ecu what the hell is going on now if you give it hole bunch more air the ecu has not clue that you just fooled it and will keep on doing what it is doing
This one I think I can answer. The AFM tells the ECU what the hell is going on, we can agree on that yes? So since I've changed the AFM, and it still sends a proper signal to the ECU telling it what the hell is going on I'm guessing the ECU still knows what the hell is going on. Yes?

i have ran a dyno for some time and tune cars/trucks so frankly you the stupid dork this time around
Well although I've never ran a dyno I do a little tuning on the 22re's that I own and everything I've done has enhanced the motor. Oh and it's not nice to call names, especially when you can't do so with proper grammar/word usage/spelling. (you might have to look those words up, Google is your friend)

more air and perfect balance of fuel makes power witch makes heat keep the heat to proper temp to stop perdetonation
Indeed! I'm guessing that the AFM/ECU help keep the proper balance of fuel and air yes? Timing (5*BTDC) helps prevent predetonation (spell check is also a great tool) and proper valve adjustment helps keep things in sync (look that one up also).

I must confess that I'm unsure why you believe that the Supra mod is a bad idea. Perhaps some dyno numbers from what you've done on the 22re would help convince me that something that has been done for years is a bad idea. I've looked at dyno readouts for this mod and the hard numbers show improvement, it's not much but it's there. My biggest concern when I did this (twice) was to improve throttle response, those of us that get out and do things instead of "web wheeling" like to be able to "blip" the throttle and go over a problem area, I also was concerned about fuel milage and that improved also although only a little.

I think maybe you and I are in disagreement about the wrong things here. I know the mod works, you look online for crap that doesn't. I have a Tornado intake fan for sale if you're in the market?

Just kidding.

Shall we agree to disagree for the time being so this thread can still be used for something besides argument? (<---- you really need to read and understand this part)

edit, I forgot this part..................

Last edited by Junkers88; 03-26-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well said...Bravo Bravo
Old 03-27-2009, 05:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The O2 sensor will detect the lean condition. The ECU won't allow it.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Efi 101 i am going to say this once and only once

i am going to make this easy

the stock afm\ecu runs the motor Rich for reliability
the supra afm is bigger let's more air in with out the ecu know it is there
the stock ecu is tuned for the smaller afm ( timing/injector dwell/injector size/fuel map )
the supra afm lets in more un metered air that change's the a/r ratio that stock ecu did not know it was there aka fooling the stock ecu

what does this end up with not sure never had this combo on dyno can be good can be bad could be in limp mode but lean enough for it to run well i don't know

same thing for mk3 supra owners when they do the lex 1uzfe v8 karmvortext
afm more air so you have to do a injector upgrade to prevent leaning out on boost
so they stick the stock 440's and go to 550's

this all so changes the fuel cut to higher rate

the 02 sensor is not wide band dude it's just narrow band o2 sensor

it's just there to tell the car what is going on as in open loop or closed loop
but can't do every thing the knock sensor is the main controller of this

there is alot of info on ecu tuning and you learn some thign new every day

i not the greatest still take me some time to get stand alone up and running from scratch
every year ecu's just get smarter smarter and wont work with most piggy back apexi hks ect
so in the end you have to do stand alone and if not per calibrated for your truck/car you will get dead dash or the auto wont shift right ect

these will very with car's and truck's

but the 22r is a caveman you can trick it all day long and it will still run and not throw any code's ect

if you say i am lieing go read a book

ps i have dyslexia and hard for me to spell thank god this forum has spell cheaker

Last edited by Nashman00; 03-27-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 VZE has another option from the 24 valve v6 camry motor. IIRC it's the 91 Camry. I bought one and haven't installed it yet.
I can get the part #'s for you when I get home.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nashman00 thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:37 PM

no prob dude

a good idea would to find out how big the injectors are in the 82 supra i don't remmber off hand (think 340?)

this will give you an idea on how much you are fooling the ecu

if it's not much you should be ok and might be able to play with timing still and bump it up a notch or 2 with out pinging

and if you are pinging you can try a higher octane gas to fight this or just lower you base timing
Old 03-27-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by phildelfino
3 VZE has another option from the 24 valve v6 camry motor. IIRC it's the 91 Camry. I bought one and haven't installed it yet.
I can get the part #'s for you when I get home.

well just mesher it out you find out if it is upgrade or down grade same with injectors

if i was you guys i would just install this and throw that stupid afm away should work with the 22r as well

i was going to do this but i gonna do motor swap instead

oh yea it supports boost as well it's cheep and does alot
and you can go map or run hot wire maft

http://www.maftpro.com/

Last edited by Nashman00; 03-27-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 PM

VAFM Swap

well just mesher it out you find out if it is upgrade or down grade same with injectors

if i was you guys i would just install this and throw that stupid afm away should work with the 22r as well

i was going to do this but i gonna do motor swap instead

oh yea it supports boost as well it's cheep and does alot
and you can go map or run hot wire maft

http://www.maftpro.com/
--> I dunno, but this might help: here's how I did mine.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-think-183463/