Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Taurus/Sable/Lincoln Fan Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mastacox yes I remember your post but I really couldn't see the 33 amps for the highside because I have run mine (short test) for via a 30amp fuse & it should have blown on a constant 33 amp pull.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NC-B17A
mastacox yes I remember your post but I really couldn't see the 33 amps for the highside because I have run mine (short test) for via a 30amp fuse & it should have blown on a constant 33 amp pull.
I think the proper answer is: "your results may vary between 25 and 35 amps" because my fan melted one of my 30 amp relays, and my stock alternator couldn't keep up with the fan even with the engine revving.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
I think the proper answer is: "your results may vary between 25 and 35 amps" because my fan melted one of my 30 amp relays, and my stock alternator couldn't keep up with the fan even with the engine revving.
What controller are you using Brian?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
What controller are you using Brian?
DC Controls FK-35 now, for a brief time I was running two relays with a two-way toggle switch controlling them. I still have the relays and switch in there though, as an emegency backup I have male/female connectors set up so that I can switch between the set-ups easily.

I am in the process of getting a new 4runner (Supercharged with a URD kit, 2.2" Pulley, very similar to your engine) and I'll be going hard-core with a Lincoln Mark VIII fan in it, and the DCC FK-60 controller.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

DC Controls FK-35 now, for a brief time I was running two relays with a two-way toggle switch controlling them. I still have the relays and switch in there though, as an emegency backup I have male/female connectors set up so that I can switch between the set-ups easily.

I am in the process of getting a new 4runner (Supercharged with a URD kit, 2.2" Pulley, very similar to your engine) and I'll be going hard-core with a Lincoln Mark VIII fan in it, and the DCC FK-60 controller.
Cool!!!! I want pics! What year?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Cool!!!! I want pics! What year?
It's a '98, in NC:

Here's what it currently looks like, Graham has done a great job of building and taking care of this rig, I am totally STOKED!!!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/some-new-pics-1-inch-body-lift-89891/

The classified listing:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f180/1998-supercharged-4runner-sale-boone-nc-83458/

The fact that it already has so much done to it really puts me on top. Two days after I get it I'm having a URD Fuel Upgrade Kit and 2.2" Pulley installed, then I'll be ready to ROCK! I might also get a 2.1" pulley for high altitude, for swapping back and forth (since Los Alamos is at 7500 ft) but I'll get an EGT gauge first to keep an eye on things.

My little 3.Slow struggles at altitude, maybe around 105hp I think, so I am SO ready for a big bad 3.4

Last edited by mastacox; 07-21-2006 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

It's a '98, in NC:

Here's what it currently looks like, Graham has done a great job of building and taking care of this rig, I am totally STOKED!!!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89891

The classified listing:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83458

The fact that it already has so much done to it really puts me on top. Two days after I get it I'm having a URD Fuel Upgrade Kit and 2.2" Pulley installed, then I'll be ready to ROCK! I might also get a 2.1" pulley for high altitude, for swapping back and forth (since Los Alamos is at 7500 ft) but I'll get an EGT gauge first to keep an eye on things.

My little 3.Slow struggles at altitude, maybe around 105hp I think, so I am SO ready for a big bad 3.4
Sweet truck, good score!

Yeah I mainly got the 2.1 inch pulley because of my trips to the Rockies and the high elevation. If you read Gadget's "u-tune" write-up he said at around 5000 ft your actual boost (relative to sea level) is cut to about 3 psi with the stock pulley, even though your boost gauge will read 6-7 psi. If it's that low at 5000 ft image how little the boost would be up here: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...42310107iSWMTL

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-21-2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet truck, good score!

Yeah I mainly got the 2.1 inch pulley because of my trips to the Rockies and the high elevation. If you read Gadget's "u-tune" write-up he said at around 5000 ft your actual boost (relative to sea level) is cut to about 3 psi with the stock pulley, even though your boost gauge will read 6-7 psi. If it's that low at 5000 ft image how little the boost would be up here: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...42310107iSWMTL
Yeah, the gauge is a "relative" one, not true "absolute," so it only measures the difference between the pressure you are at, and the boost pressure. Air pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi, so with a 9 psi pulley (read: URD 2.2") you are putting 23.7 psi into the engine. But, at 5280 ft the air pressure is about 11.8 psi and at 7500 ft it is only 10.8 psi... So at 7500 ft I will only be putting 19.8 psi in, but with the 2.1" I should be able to get back up around "Sea Level" boost ranges. But, like I said, I want an EGT gauge first since Los Alamos is at 7500 ft, but I may go down to around 5500 ft some times, and I don't want to mess with water injection, yet... I'm going to get a 2-pod to put my boost gauge in one and the EGT one in the other.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet truck, good score!

By the way, what goes into installing an EGT gauge anyway? Is it easy or a huge PITA? I'm really more curious as to what goes into installing the probe, the gauge is easy. Disconnect the exhaust at the cat, drill hole about 8" from exhaust port, and blow out chips, something like that?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

LOL, we've kind of hijacked this thread, I'll start another one...

EDIT:
It's the "Supercharged 4Runner at altitude" thread in the 3rd gen area...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...191#post948191

Last edited by mastacox; 07-21-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:33 PM

An easier electric fan.

I don't know about the rest of you but I like going by the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle. After reading all the post by Ritzy it seems to me that this Fan mod is too complicated, especially when there is an easy drop in fan made by flex-a-lite that bolts directly to where the old shroud bolted. It even has an adjustable thermo built into the unit with all the hookups for A/C, Manual override, etc... I hooked mine up so I can have the thermo control the fan, or I can turn it off (for deep water crossings), or I can just turn it on and leave it on. I even have an LED indicator light hooked up to the unit that tells me when the fan is running and when it is not. Check out the flex-a-lite website for all the specs, then find who has it for the cheapest online. I bough mine through Summit racing. It has always kept me cool on several trips from Virginia to Mexico. If you have any questions shoot me an e-mail.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/toyota-4x4.html

Just as a side note I am trying to get my website up and running with all my mods, pics, and how I did them. Hopefully it will be working soon.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

I've heard a ot of failure/overheating stories about flex-a-lite, and pretty much won't go with them. I suppose there is something to be said about simplicity, but at the same time I enjoy tinkering with my car, making it my own, and tweaking to get the kind of performance I am looking for out of it.

The DCC controller with a Taurus fan gives you far more fan control options than a FAL, including adjustable thermometer, minimum running speed and "AC on" fan speed, and most importantly of all variable control of the fan rather than on/off operation. Doesn't a FAL fan cost around $300? You get better performance and cooling out of a Taurus/DCC controller for about $180. As for installation, it isn't for people that don't understand the concepts behind it, but it isn't too bad with proper planning and a little know-how

To each his own...
Old 07-22-2006, 05:47 PM

I have been following tis thread, and at work I found a dorman # 620-101

1995-90 Taurus, Sable, Continental 3.8L Is this the correct year span for the fan mod? I can get this for $138.88 brand new. the reason I ask is I don't like to put used electrical junk in my junk.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Once again I say THANK YOU to all who have posted and offered advice, suggestions and information. ALL of it is appreciated and will in time help any and all. As for hijacking my thread, LOL well there ya go! Makes for interesting reading too.

Now as things have gone the past few days, I have been in San Diego at Comic-Con 2006 International, but thats another thread so I won't belabor it here. I have had one incident of late but it didn't repeat today. Two days ago I was stuck in traffic near my parents house and the temp was around 90, humid and sunny. I was traped at a light for about 7 minutes, no A/C and I'm not sure if the fan kicked on or not but my temp jumped up to about 3/4 (near the red line) as I started to finally move. This really bohtereed me as I didn't understand why it did that and I thought maybe I had cooked my controller. I got to my parents and shut downt he truck and decided to see if I could set the thermostat again. Hey why not? Anyway got the truck running and at temp ( normal jsut below mid range) moved the pot back towards factory setting and the fan kicked on just like it should have. I then rotated the pot clockwise to increase the setting and it shut off. I then backed it down to where it kicked on again and then moved the setting just a tiny bit back clockwise. The fan now will kick on when the temp hits normal op temperature (180). I am still going to look at the radiator issue and see if I can get a pressure test done and maybe even a back flush this week. I wish I had packed the shroud and clutch fan just to check its ops for the return trip. I may leave early and drive the coast hiway, less temp and less grade, but takes more time and gas. Oh well I will keep you all informed as the saga continues.
If anyone has anyohter ideas or suggestions, feel free to post. Take care and everyone have a gr8 weekend!
Old 07-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LOCKnGO
I have been following tis thread, and at work I found a dorman # 620-101

1995-90 Taurus, Sable, Continental 3.8L Is this the correct year span for the fan mod? I can get this for $138.88 brand new. the reason I ask is I don't like to put used electrical junk in my junk.
Yup, that looks like the one I have. You can find pretty good ones at a junkyard if you want for about $40, just so you know. Wherever you buy it, just make sure it is a 2-Speed.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:23 AM

Ritzy4Runner you could buy a relay & hook up the high side of you fan for the trip back to have extra cooling power.
Did you take pics at Comic-con?
Old 07-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NC-B17A
Ritzy4Runner you could buy a relay & hook up the high side of you fan for the trip back to have extra cooling power.
Did you take pics at Comic-con?
X2, You should be ok with a 40 amp relay for a while and those can be found pretty easy.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NC, thanks for the info but what I really would like is pretty much a cook book layout of what I need to do, things to pick up. If I have the plan layed out and the items identified, I can do just about anything. I was thinking the relay route would be a good way to go, just don't know what I would need to get, and then install. I still have concerns with the slow speed setting controlled by the controller as to how it would be over ridden.
As for the Comic-Com, ohhhh yeah I got pics. Samuel Jackson was there for the first screening clip of "Snakes on a Plane". Will be an interesting thriller. I will have stuff to email after I get home, too hard to do on the road. But like I mentioned I need a plan on this high speed side install. I have about 4 days till I have to start heading back. Been thinking about maybe even going the coast route to avoid the high temps and mountains. Will take me longer cost more gas (gallons and price) but masybe I won't have to deal quite so much with the heat issue, Would rather just get home and not have to redo an HG on the road. Thanks again to all
Old 07-24-2006, 03:37 PM

as far as the highside of the fan goes you need a relay,a switch,& some wire
if you get the stuff I will help you with what goes where as far as the wiring.
When the highside wire has 12volts on it it will over ride the controller but if you have it off then it will operate like normal.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi friends!!
check my post for efan swap
mercury villager electric fan swap

DEATH TO THE TAURUS FAN!!!!!!!
RIP TUARUS FAN!!!

Last edited by runnermedic; 11-06-2009 at 09:12 AM.