86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

T-case leaking after dealer flushed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update:

I checked the transmission fluid level on Wednesday......to find it just as high as ever.

I parked it, and went back to the dealer yesterday. The service advisor that I had been dealing with was off, but the tech that was supposed to lower the level was there. Turns out he was going to wait until I got there on Tuesday to pick it up before doing anything. He wanted me to come in the back with him and look at it on the rack. For some reason, the service advisor told me it was finished, and sent me on my way (this is the level of competency I'm dealing with).

So, yesterday the tech made sure it was at the right level. I just wiped up underneath, and snapped a pic of where the fluid looks to be coming out (to me). It looks like it's coming from all along the seal (the red RTV), but I think it's originating from this hole (drivers side) and just running down along the seal.

What is this hole for?
Attached Thumbnails T-case leaking after dealer flushed transmission-img_20130922_155421.jpg  
Old 09-24-2013, 03:38 AM

Surely someone has to have some input. I would really like to avoid having to take it back to the dealer.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdrum1
Surely someone has to have some input. I would really like to avoid having to take it back to the dealer.
From the pic, it looks like a plug rusted out. Haven't gotten under my rig to find what you're looking at to compare... Pics starting further out and then moving closer are helpful for orienting...

There shouldn't be parts of your tranny/tcase just exposed to air/allowing in dirt.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by RSR
From the pic, it looks like a plug rusted out. Haven't gotten under my rig to find what you're looking at to compare... Pics starting further out and then moving closer are helpful for orienting...

There shouldn't be parts of your tranny/tcase just exposed to air/allowing in dirt.
I can't tell if anything was ever there. The truck is rust free, and it doesn't look like something is missing. I don't see the hole (or something that should be in it) on any parts diagrams and have searched for pictures of other peoples a340h to see if theirs looks the same, but haven't found a good shot of that area.

That said, it sure looks like fluid has come out of the hole.

I've driven it to work the last couple days (maybe 5 miles each way). Once home, it drips about one drop.

I'll get under it this weekend, get some better shots, and clean it up some.

If you look under the drivers side, this is towards the very rear.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
This is interesting... I have a thread going about doing my engine work, similar to you jdrum1, I just got the 4runner. I put the tranny work down the list, after I get the engine squared away, but I did have to put a bucket underneath to catch the dripping tranny fluid coming out of those two holes that you are talking about. These are my pictures.. sorry the second zoomed out one is a bad pic... SO, i'll be keeping and eye on this thread until I get to that part of the work

The two holes started leaking the fluid on the incline on the driveway.

In this crappy pic the area of those holes is in the top left quadrant.

I've learned in my life, If I want something done right, either I have to spend the many hours doing it myself, or take charge of managing it. So, don't hesitate to breath down the dealers neck to get what you want.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 PM

If I remember ill ask a few master techs at my dealer ship.

if I had to guess . I would say those are weep holes for the seals between each case. And to fix it the chain case will need to come down
Old 09-25-2013, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gevo
This is interesting... I have a thread going about doing my engine work, similar to you jdrum1, I just got the 4runner. I put the tranny work down the list, after I get the engine squared away, but I did have to put a bucket underneath to catch the dripping tranny fluid coming out of those two holes that you are talking about. These are my pictures.. sorry the second zoomed out one is a bad pic... SO, i'll be keeping and eye on this thread until I get to that part of the work

The two holes started leaking the fluid on the incline on the driveway.

In this crappy pic the area of those holes is in the top left quadrant.

I've learned in my life, If I want something done right, either I have to spend the many hours doing it myself, or take charge of managing it. So, don't hesitate to breath down the dealers neck to get what you want.
Yours looks worse than mine. I don't have anything coming out of the front hole. I'm going to clean it up this weekend, and see if I can determine for sure that it's coming from the hole.

Originally Posted by 7m4x4dude
If I remember ill ask a few master techs at my dealer ship.

if I had to guess . I would say those are weep holes for the seals between each case. And to fix it the chain case will need to come down
That would be great.

I'm not keen on your guess, though

If they are weep holes, I'm guessing their overfilling the transmission could have easily caused a seal to go. I can't imagine I'd get them to budge on doing anything to repair it (given that it's 20 y/o with 180k miles)........
Old 09-27-2013, 08:59 AM

Jdrum1, anything new on this topic to share?

Im gonna get around to buying tranny gaskets and seals soon... wanna know which one of yours failed

Also, I do have the "G294/A340H" tranny.. as per the label on my 4Runner... now I hope there is a clear specification on the type of oil to use in the transfer case... The car came with the original owners manual.. I'll start from there
Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G294 is your axle code. That's 4.10 gears. The a340h is your transmission. The transfer case and transmission share the same fluid. So Dex III.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 AM

FYI:
Here is a couple pages from the CSM. The second page shows a breather hose, which may be your problem..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
trans.pdf (30.7 KB, 275 views)
Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
G294 is your axle code. That's 4.10 gears. The a340h is your transmission. The transfer case and transmission share the same fluid. So Dex III.
Kewl.. Yeah I didn't know one was the axle code, thanks ALso, everywhere I see in the manuals it says Dex II... is Dex III a typo or an updated oil to use for the Dex II?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 823 Likes on 650 Posts
Leave those Sperm Whales alone! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON
Old 09-27-2013, 10:30 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amsoil ATF is the best way to go on these trannies and tcases. Dex III and II are swappable.

Your tcase is two parts. The chain case fills and drains through plugs on its vertical face located behind the tranny.

The tranny drains through the main pain. The tcase itself is the second smaller drain plug immediately behind the tranny drain plug and between the tranny and chain case. The tcase fills through the tranny dipstick tube. Both the tranny and tcase plugs use the same gaskets. The transfer chain chase uses a different, washer type of gasket (same plugs as your diffs fwiw).

I'd definitely recommend you go w/ at least 4.56 gears. 4.10s w/ an auto will be a dog... I have 4.88s on mine (they're a special gear setup so the third member has to be swapped in entirety for 4.88s and can only be regeared for the 4.88s -- this applies to rear diff only). The 4.1s and 4.56 can be regeared to anything, including 5.29s, etc...

And that transfer case section isn't applicable to the a340h, it's much more of a pain: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-case-156307/
Old 09-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Jdrum1, anything new on this topic to share?

Im gonna get around to buying tranny gaskets and seals soon... wanna know which one of yours failed
I haven't done anything. I'm going to try to 100% pinpoint where it's coming from this weekend.

I'd be more than happy if you want to make a DIY for it!!!!

Originally Posted by RSR

And that transfer case section isn't applicable to the a340h, it's much more of a pain: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-case-156307/
Too bad the pics are gone......good reason not to offsite host.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 PM

FYI:
Here is a couple pages from the CSM. The second page shows a breather hose, which may be your problem..
Something to check. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by RSR
Amsoil ATF is the best way to go on these trannies and tcases. Dex III and II are swappable.
The only Amsoil product I've tried is their MTF in my s2000. It felt pretty good for about 1k miles, then got very notchy and even had a slight grind going into one gear (very scary). Drained it and all problems solved, never to return (that was about 1.5 years ago). Haven't even considered trying another Amsoil product since.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm of the school of never flushing a high mile trans myself.

I see no reason to fault the dealer for anything....I think your seal between trans and transfer case is blown, letting fluid leak between the two causing the high reading on the dipstick.

When it comes to a high mileage auto trans, if it works....don't do a damn thing other than a simple fluid and filter change. If it starts to act up....a flush will only hasten its demise.

(Blown/rebuilt enough auto trans over the years to fill a garage.)
Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 AM

Here are some random (hangover induced thoughts);

The a340h transmission/t-case system seems overly complex. What is the benefit of it vs. a typical system with a normal t-case?

On the flip side, it seems to be reliable. There isn't much information online about repairing it (which also makes it difficult if you do have problems).

While reliable, it isn't very refined.......but it does the job (still wish I had a stick in mine). My Dad drove trucks in the Army (he got out just before Vietnam). He said some were autos, but they were much rougher than the manuals. They would lurch forward as it would kick out of one gear, clank loudly as it found the next, then jerk you back as the next engaged. I guess the a340h is better than that.

It is also difficult to get a good reading on the fluid level. It is very temperature sensitive. When I was in the dealers shop the other day, the tech was checking the temp of the transmission pan with an infrared thermometer to see if we were in range (158-176F). Being slightly over or under made a surprising difference on the dipstick. That's probably how they overfilled it by so much; not getting it warm enough before checking the level. I think everyone with a a350h needs an infrared thermometer (I'm going to grab one today).

If I do need to reseal my t-case, I'm going to have to take it to someone. Obviously, I don't want to go back to the dealer (that may have caused the seal to go in the first place). I don't have the transmission knowledge to tackle this myself. Plus, I just don't have the time right now (I'm a teacher, and the start of the year is a crazy time for me). I don't know of a good transmission shop in my area.

Trying to find a shop to work on it will be tough. Most are understaffed and are charging at least $100 per hour (we are in an oil boom).

I don't mind putting some $$ into the truck; I really love the thing. It's worth it given the condition it's in (other Toyota techs were coming over to check it out the other day because it's so clean). But, I really hate to part with $1k right now (remember, I'm a teacher living in a boom town)..........

My plan is to wait and see. It's such a slight drip right now, and I want to pinpoint the cause before moving on (I was really hoping that lowering the level would stop it, but it's only gone about 20 miles since that was done).

Do any of the "stop leak" type of product do any good? I've had luck with high mileage motor oil stopping minor leaks (causes seals to swell slightly). Anything like that for a transmission?
Old 09-28-2013, 06:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
never ever put any stop leak anything anywhere.

Did the flush accomplish anything other than sprouting a leak?

The trans needs to come out and someone needs to take a look at it.

You opened Pandora's box.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by HighLux
I'm of the school of never flushing a high mile trans myself.

I see no reason to fault the dealer for anything....I think your seal between trans and transfer case is blown, letting fluid leak between the two causing the high reading on the dipstick.

When it comes to a high mileage auto trans, if it works....don't do a damn thing other than a simple fluid and filter change. If it starts to act up....a flush will only hasten its demise.

(Blown/rebuilt enough auto trans over the years to fill a garage.)

Not trying to argue, but the a340h t-case and transmission are a joined unit; they share the same fluid (chain housing is separate).

I also know the argument for not flushing. The old fluid looked alright and it had flushes done regularly, so it seemed like a safe idea.

Why wouldn't overfilling it potentially cause a leak? They had it WAY over where it should have been!

Quick Reply: T-case leaking after dealer flushed transmission