Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Starter Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starter Solenoid

Recently my starter is making the clicking noise so its should mean that my starter is giong out, so I went to toyota dealership and bought a solenoid for the replacement. My truck have already swap transmission and when I was ordering the solenoid I mark it as a 5 speed starter instead of the automatic starter, is there be any problem using the 5 speed solenoid over to the automatic starter? The order is still in back order so I might still have time to ask them by Wednesday, thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait...you are replacing the ENTIRE solenoid? All you need is the contacts. VERY common problem, every Toyota will experience this around 150k...do a search here for "starter click" and you will see. Here's my writeup I did a while back for 4x4wire...

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/

auto/manual should make no difference
Old 12-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any local starter/alt shop should be able to get you the parts for cheaper, and probably made by the same oem manufacturer.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Adam F
Wait...you are replacing the ENTIRE solenoid? All you need is the contacts. VERY common problem, every Toyota will experience this around 150k...do a search here for "starter click" and you will see. Here's my writeup I did a while back for 4x4wire...

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/

auto/manual should make no difference
Yeap the entire solenoid, so since I'm getting a new solenoid, it should came with all new contact right? Sorry my first starter built... didn't think about the contact, thanks for the link, mine was diong exactly what you have wrote. 15-20 click and it'll start!!! so make sense, I'll see if I can cancel the order or just have a spree one...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:01 AM

Here is some work on the repairing the bad starter. Some picture for the inquire. Turn out to be a bad contact, but got the whole solenoid. Hope this help other that may incounter a bad starter clicking. Total cost is one hundred dollars.

OEM Starter Solenoid, it said switch instead of solenoid so don't know if its the solenoid.

Worn contact

This is what I want to replace but as I was inspecting it and is still good. This is a pain in the arsh when putting back the rotor back inside of the coil, but if you manage to unscrew the two screw that is locate behind the coil then it should be an easy install, I strip the screw so I have to maneuver the rotor to fit into the coil.

The inside of the coil, before picture. Seem like the four contact is still looking good.

The inside again, after picture. Using some lectra motive to clean the inside.

To open the solenoid you need to unscrew the two big four head screw, which you need a big forehead screw driver, do not use smaller screw driver or it will strip the screw and do not force to open if it will not budge, try using the clamp and try to loose it at the end of the screw.

This is how it look when you unscrew the two screws. There is five pins or what ever you call that is sitting inside of gear two which is the middle gear, there also a plastic cover that need to go there, put the pin with the plastic cover before inserting into the gear.

Comparison from the two starter, viewing the contact on both starter solenoid, which tell my contact are very worn that was causing the clicking.

Finally got it all done, was a very smooth repair.

Now just got to put it back the way I got it out, man what a pain in the arsh to put it back in...

The product that I use to clean the starter.

The result was incredible, it sound much diffrent. The sound when you crank it is sound like a new car.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good job... I would like to add that by just changing the contacts ($20), you probably could have gotten another 100,000 miles from the solenoid, but at least with a new solenoid, you know you'll be fine for a long time.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on contacts in Solenoid

Thanks for sharing products used for cleaning up the Solenoid, here is where i got my contacts (that make contact to the Plunger), The four mentioned contacts in addition above are called Brushes, these make ,(graphite that also wear out and can be replaced inexpensively ) contact around copper Armature) to repair mine when it started just clicking-
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

This guy is an Engineer, and Fabricates good inexpensive parts for Off roading/Crawlers. Today you can buy whole starter online for 100 Bucks delivered to your door,so things have changed some. Best Regards, AJ

Last edited by farmsteader; 04-12-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought new contacts a few months ago, need to do this myself... thanks for posting up pics, lookin' good! my original is still going but sounds/feels tired...

gonna be a bear to get at with the DT headers, crikey...