86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

sr5 gauge cluster.. or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sr5 gauge cluster.. or aftermarket?

sick of not having a tach. so im wanting to get one. however, im trying to decide what would look better... if i got the sr5 gauge cluster, or just got a aftermarket tach, along with the pillar mounted volts, oil, water, etc. what do you guys think?
Old 11-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you can get a tach that fits in the pillar mount without going digital... IMO the SR5 cluster looks the best, those big tachs stuck on the dash or where ever just look dumb to me...
Old 11-11-2007, 03:36 PM

i found a custom made pillar gauge mount for my truck. cant remember where i found it, but i could probably find it again. will post if i do. im trying to decide whether i want to do aftermarket gauges to give it the 'prerunner' look, or just a stock look. hmmm. choices choices.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

I would go SR5 for now, it's super simple and as a bonus you get a better oil guage and you will have a trip meter !!!

Then if you later want to get some nice big gauges and stick them all over the truck you still can, but in the meantime you can save up some money and figure out the best way to mount and wire up all those things.

Last edited by linuxrunner; 11-11-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:17 PM

ok cool thanks. and does it have to be a tach out of a 88 4 cyl non turbo efi?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:34 PM

its an 88. according to those pics, mine is already prewired for a tach. what i dont understand is why they didnt put a tach in.. they wired for it, but didnt install one? doesnt make sense. anyway, thanks. ive been pricing aftermarket gauges.... $$$$. i can find one on ebay for like 20 bucks. thanks!
Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
its an 88. according to those pics, mine is already prewired for a tach. what i dont understand is why they didnt put a tach in.. they wired for it, but didnt install one? doesnt make sense. anyway, thanks. ive been pricing aftermarket gauges.... $$$$. i can find one on ebay for like 20 bucks. thanks!
Well because they wire them all up the same from the factory, but they will only give you the guages if you pay for that option.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Up till 88 it was a one wiring harness fits all set-up... they just capped off the conectors that did'nt get used if you did'nt have that option...
after '89 they started making specific wiring harnesses based on which options you ordered... major PITA for those of us "upgrading" our rides...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:59 AM

i have an sr5 tach out of an 87 or 88 i will sell you, i'm located in indy.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM

ok installed the sr5 cluster FINALLY... the mechanic workin on the mileage STOLE it and i havent heard from him, so i ordered another speedo, stuck it in, and the damn cluster doesnt work! im pissed! im just gonna do aftermarket, jesus christ what a fustercluck (sorry fuster, just had to use that since the other way around isnt appropriate). gauges dont do anything, theres no lights, nothin. yet my basic one with the big speedo works fine. sorry just venting
Old 03-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your problems ozzie... don't give up it is usually pretty much a simple plug-n-play operation except for the tach hook up and maybe the oil pressure... You may have just got a bad cluster... as for the mileage why are you worried about changing it? just make a note of when the gauge was changed and what the mileage was on the new and old gauge sets. If you have the factory owner's manual there is even a place in it to note the change... maybe grab that cluster from the previous previous poster and try again...
Old 03-12-2008, 07:12 AM

I tried doing this and I had some trouble too, for one the guages didnt work either (turned out because they are for a manual and i have an auto) so i have to switch the wires around and plus to add to it i dont have the pre set tach wire under the hood. Does anyone know where i need to put the tach wire from the cluster on the coil if mines not prewired?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Sorry to hear about your problems ozzie... don't give up it is usually pretty much a simple plug-n-play operation except for the tach hook up and maybe the oil pressure... You may have just got a bad cluster... as for the mileage why are you worried about changing it? just make a note of when the gauge was changed and what the mileage was on the new and old gauge sets. If you have the factory owner's manual there is even a place in it to note the change... maybe grab that cluster from the previous previous poster and try again...
i dunno, i just kind of like the correct mileage on my odo, you know? though i got sick of waiting and just bought one and threw it in.. and im thinkin the cluster is bad since it doesnt even light up, no turn signals, nothin. and it seems to be from a manual, since theres no 'ect' light or anything like that. the old mechanic at work (genious with electrical crap) is gonna take a look at it tomorrow and see if he can figure it out. he thinks theres a bad ground somewhere, but doesnt know for sure. and about the P.P. that offered one, i think i got it from him, lmfao!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM

okay, got a new one from 'just a 22re' and it works SUPER! the tach even worked without wiring it up! my only complaint is a burned out bulb on the gas/battery side of the cluster, but thats my fault for not checkin all the bulbs. OH, question for electrical junkies: the battery gauge works(a little too well for my taste LOL) and it just chills up at the top (18), but when i turn a turn signal on, the needle bounces to the signal light. anyone got any ideas? i know theres a short or bad ground somewhere, but id like to get an idea of where to start
Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
My battery guage goes down about 3mm, back and forth when I have my blinker one, same with my wipers.

Good to hear you got everything working. I would hate to have the base model cluster!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an SR5 with the proper gauge cluster from the factory and my voltmeter needle bounces with the turn signal. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 PM

oki thats about what i thought. the gauge lighting has been fluctuating with the turn signals for goin on 3 years now, so im sure its normal. though i did notice my clutch slips more than i thought it did, thanks to the tach. lol
Old 03-27-2008, 06:41 AM

The relay that's activated when you hit the turn signals will draw some power, that's the movement you see on the gauge. My FJ80 does it as well, and many other rigs I've had in the past would do it too...nothing to worry about. Glad you got it worked out. I'm swapping mine over to an SR5 cluster in the next week or so myself...can't wait to have a tach and a trip meter! Plus, my coolant gauge on my cluster now is not registering the correct ohms...so it will be nice to have one that works properly....I hope.