86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sorry, but I have another AFM swap question and need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but I have another AFM swap question and need HELP

I just wrapped a day working on the swap. I have the old AFM out and the new intake tube in. Oiling the K&N tonight and making a few mods to the little brackets to get the new AFM mounted tomorrow.

My QUESTION is: On the old AFM/K&N filter there is a hose that is attached to the intake tube going to the throttle body. The hose goes from the back of the K&N filter into what I think is part of the emissions system, a small black device (I think it is the RESONATOR). What happens if I disconnect the resonator? Would I pass emissions with it disconnected?

The reason I ask is that with the new AFM and filter I have no place to attach the hose for the resonator. I can make something if need be, but wondering if I need it. I do live in an area that requires emissions testing.

Thanks again for everyones help.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Blocking the resonator inlet would likely raise the amount of unburned hydrocarbons and cause the emissions test to fail.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by razed
small 3/4 - 1" diameter pipe? pair system. a small cone filter on top of the resonator is fine. you might not pass visual inspection but some discussion about it may get you by
This is a good idea. I like it. Easy to rig up too.

You think I would pass emissions this way? They don't do visual checks here, just a tailpipe check.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
or just put one on the end of the hose at the afm. Here's a pic for ya. Bought the filter at local autoparts store O'rielly i think.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
or just put one on the end of the hose at the afm. Here's a pic for ya. Bought the filter at local autoparts store O'rielly i think.
That looks real good. I'm not using my original resonator hose. Doesn't really fit with the new 3" aluminum pipe I'm installing. I think I'm gonna go with a little cone filter on top of the resonator or I'll buy some replacement resonator tubing and set it up sort of like what you have.

Thanks for the photo. That really helps in brainstorming ideas of what to do with my truck.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by razed
the pair system puts air into the exhaust to help the converter out. it should still pass tailpipe tests just fine cause the air it uses doesnt go through the air-flow meter
good to know. thanks.

i'm headed to the hardware store right now. picking up the last few things I need for the brackets and then a stop at the auto parts store for the mini filter. Almost there, finally.