Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SDS install

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SDS install

Has anyone ever installed an sds EM-4 system on their 22re powered yota. I have on to put on and am just wondering about ecu placement ideas and any other tips anyone may have.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by saitotiktmdog
Has anyone ever installed an sds EM-4 system on their 22re powered yota. I have on to put on and am just wondering about ecu placement ideas and any other tips anyone may have.

I have one installed in a buggy so I'm no help really...but make sure you mount it so that the plugs are pointing down (wich makes the logo upside down ) to keep any moisture out...They tell you this in the directions, you'd think they'd put the logo on accordingly.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two guys over on the turbo truck website running SDS.
http://22rte-trucks.com

Unless you're turbo, highly modified (stroked), or have a buggy, I'm wondering why bother? I've done custom EFI on a stock 22RE, couldn't get much more (if anything) out of it.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:38 AM

I'm not sure if it was in my head or not but I felt a large difference in the performance of mine...but there also could have been something wrong with my previous set-up...I sure like how clean my motor is without the mess of toyota wiring

Originally Posted by dcg9381
There are two guys over on the turbo truck website running SDS.
http://22rte-trucks.com

Unless you're turbo, highly modified (stroked), or have a buggy, I'm wondering why bother? I've done custom EFI on a stock 22RE, couldn't get much more (if anything) out of it.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Aaronn
I'm not sure if it was in my head or not but I felt a large difference in the performance of mine...but there also could have been something wrong with my previous set-up...I sure like how clean my motor is without the mess of toyota wiring

Maybe you're just better at tuning than I am!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

I have added a turbo which is the reason for the sds. That and the fact that I am running stock (non-turbo) compression and don't want to take any chances.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
Maybe you're just better at tuning than I am!

I doubt it
Old 12-13-2007, 12:13 PM

I have added a turbo which is the reason for the sds. That and the fact that I am running stock (non-turbo) compression and don't want to take any chances.
There's a forum with some tuning information on it, one taken from an SDS system. I believe that truck is 8:1 CR though.

At least one guy has experience running a turbo on a NA motor, it was an MS setup though.. the timing and fuel maps can be translated.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Ok Thanks dcg9381, (your name Darin) I will look into that. On the sds website they have a map for a 20r in a celica turboed with stock compression of 9.5 to one. I was gonna use that as a starting point, but i will check out these others also. Of those of you that use aftermarket management systems what is a good place to put the ecu.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:39 AM

where to place to put the ecu.
I actually build an adapter that uses the factory wiring harness with mine. By doing so, (when running a stock 22re) - I could swap for the stock ECU to aftermarket in about 2 minuteds.

Mine resides where the factory ECU was.
If you're doing a lot of water/mud, most people put it in the glove box.

This is a photo of my original setup.. Unclip, swap ecu, clip it back in... :-)

Last edited by dcg9381; 12-14-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dcg9381's suggestion of the glove box is OK but if you can get it higher it would be best if you are into hardcore wheelin.

I don't know how big that controller is but there is some space above the glovebox
Old 12-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Does anyone have any idea on where to put the water temperature sensor for the sds system. I was thinking that I could just used one of the two places that the existing temperature sensors (the one for the cold start injector or the one next to it) but the sensor that comes with the sds kit is is larger and wont thread in. I was thinking about just splicing the wires from the sds harness to the toyota harness plug and using the toyota sensor. Any thoughts. As far as ecu placement goes, I am going to put all the sensors and such in along with the coil pack and all and then see how much length I have in the wires and where abouts they will reach to and then mount the ecu in an appropriate location. I don't do a lot of hard core mudding as some would say. Mostly just trails and such. I want to eventually put a strait axel on it but that is about the extent of my plans. I learned my lesson about deep mud and water when I fragged the previous engine.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:14 PM

if you can use the toyota sensor and spice the wires that locxation wouls work. I would not use an adapter in this location. I used an autometer adapter for a switch for an electric cooling fan and about cooked the motor. the adapter pulls teh senor away from coolent flow and I dont know if air pockets form around the adapters. but by using the plugged hole on the drivers side of the block between cyls 2 and 3 with an mechanical autometer gauge I could get consistant and acurate measurements.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 PM

Does anyone have any idea on where to put the water temperature sensor for the sds system. I was thinking that I could just used one of the two places that the existing temperature sensors (the one for the cold start injector or the one next to it) but the sensor that comes with the sds kit is is larger and wont thread in.
That's where I put mine...I just ran a pipe tap into it...I don't think I even had to drill it..Just ram the tap in...works fine.no leaks
Old 12-18-2007, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

That's where I put mine...I just ran a pipe tap into it...I don't think I even had to drill it..Just ram the tap in...works fine.no leaks

I thought about that but then if I ever want to take the sds system off and install it on something else the intake now wont work with the original toyota sensor. That may be just what I have to do. I thought first before I did that I would see what others had done. I do have an extra one though so that may not bee to bad an idea. I will have one to use in case I put it back to stock. Which is probably not likely anyway. What about the length of the probe end. The toyata sensor is much longer. Do you still get accurate readings. What SDS system are you running? Do have any other tips. I still need to find a place to put the ecu and my wideband box and get it all hooked up. I also have a Leen Steed turbo manifold on the way. Should be a good setup.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:07 AM

I have the fuel only kit...as far as it being "accurate" I'm not sure,but my system works fine...I have to say I just coppied my friends...They both have these kits in their buggys...one has the kit you have with a built motor and a LC turbo kit...The only reason I bought the kit is because they were so happy with theirs..
Old 12-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

I have the fuel only kit...as far as it being "accurate" I'm not sure,but my system works fine...I have to say I just coppied my friends...They both have these kits in their buggys...one has the kit you have with a built motor and a LC turbo kit...The only reason I bought the kit is because they were so happy with theirs..
Hey thanks for the input. Thats probably what I will do.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Well I got the sds all hooked up and everything seems to be working ok. I moved the ignition to the other side of the engine bay behind the battery and to the left of the engine. I am still working on getting the intercooler in. I had to get a smaller one as the first one would have taken to much time and effort to get it in. I have an arb bull bar and winch so there is not much room. I do not have ac so I had to get one that would fit in front of the radiator with minimal cutting. I am still waiting on my Turbo manifold from Leen. It is at the coaters and should be totally done soon and hopefully arrive at my door next week sometime. Hopefully I can get it done soon. I will try and put some pictures up if anyone cares to see them.

Funny, I thought that once I turboed my truck I would be satisfied, however now it is time for axle gears, lockers and tcase gears, new clutch and a heavier flywheel. Not necessary of course but most mods are unnecessary anyway but it sure is cool, and fun.