Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

runs but the longer it runs the worse it get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
runs but the longer it runs the worse it get?

im having some issues with my truck. it starts up fine and then it drives fine at first but after about 10 min of driving it starts loosing power and becomes really hard to drive. i have a feeling its the fuel filter but im not a 100% sure. i wanted to see what you guys recomend as far as a check list maybe of what to look for.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 824 Likes on 651 Posts
Sounds like a fuel problem to me, but with a fuel pressure gauge you would know rather than guess. Remember that the fuel pressure is supposed to go up and down with input manifold pressure, so it will seem coupled to the accelerator. You're just looking for a trend. If your problem is showing up while driving rather than idle, you may need to rig the gauge so you can see it through the windshield.

But before you do that, check for stored codes. Who knows what you'll find?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It does sound like a fuel issue, but when was the last time it had a good complete tune up. I have seen that solve several issues. Changing a fuel filter should be part of the tune up process as for me. It is not needed everytime though.

I would suggest tuneup, fuel filter, and then if problem persist start checking fuel pressure. Could be a fuel pump issue. Fuel pumps are cheap, but I found a site on ebay for 30ish dollars which is way cheaper then a parts store. It is listed on my 88 runner build, first page where to get it, if fuel pump is the issue.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 824 Likes on 651 Posts
What is a "tune-up"? In the dark ages (with mechanical ignition and carburetors), the points/condensor/plugs chewed each other up so quickly that they were regularly replaced. That's what I think of as a "tune-up."

Now, the owner's manual for my '94 calls for the plugs to be replaced every 30,000 (this was before the days of modern plugs; they now go for 60,000 or more), and the fuel filter every 60,000. There is no service interval at all for the plug wires, cap or rotor (meaning: Toyota expects them to last much longer than 80,000).

Does an '88 have mechanical ignition? Is the fuel filter on a short interval? (Replacing the filter on a 3VZE is no picnic; I wouldn't do it more often than 60,000!).
Old 07-03-2012, 06:34 PM

i have owned the truck for about a month now and this problem just started recently.... i have no clue when the last tune up was done but i have a really noisy rocker so i think im just going to rebuild it all because when i got the truck the odo didnt work and stopped at 155k so go only knows how long it has not been working and is burning oil common on a 22r? i have not owned one before this one and had a few questions about it but im still back and forth on the rebuild i want to do it just so i know how many miles are on the motor and and all that but idk.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Anytime I buy a used car or truck, I change oil/filter,plugs,wires,distributor cap, fuel filter,air filter, all fluids in axles and tranny, radiator fluid,powersteering fluid. Check your valves and adjust them as well. Check your belts and hoses too.

It might be overkill, but alot of the trucks on the road now have been neglected and are in need of all of that anyway. Plus alot of people just dont know how to maintain a truck and I know the overall condition.

I get my plugs and oil filters from Toyota and they arent any more there then at a parts store. When I can afford it, I like to get all of my parts from Toyota but that isnt always practical.

Even though the plugs will go alot longer nowaday, for as cheap as they are and depending on which truck I drive, I every summer or every other summer pick a day and go thru everything. It is a good $100 dollars to do all of that, but is cheap insurance and one tow bill will wipe that cost out quick.

Even before owning Toyotas, I have never broken down on the highway and never stranded on the road. Anytime I have helped someone on the road, most of their breakdowns was just simple maintaince issues. Hoses and belts are were the biggest problems. So much easier to fix in the drive way when tools are available then on the road and safer.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by 94_yota_4x4
i have owned the truck for about a month now and this problem just started recently.... i have no clue when the last tune up was done but i have a really noisy rocker so i think im just going to rebuild it all because when i got the truck the odo didnt work and stopped at 155k so go only knows how long it has not been working and is burning oil common on a 22r? i have not owned one before this one and had a few questions about it but im still back and forth on the rebuild i want to do it just so i know how many miles are on the motor and and all that but idk.
Burning oil is not common on these. I would run a compression check and see what the results are. Are you getting black smoke? or just losing oil. Check for leaks. I have gotten away with just doing a top end rebuild, Getting the head checked and machined if needed. A new head can be bought for $250ish or there about, so depending on cost of the old head, I have bought new ones. Just depends on where repairing the old head is worth it.

A complete rebuild can be expensive and time consuming and I enjoy doing them, but if it is one you need quick, might be better and cheaper to buy a remaned engine. I like getting mine from http://unitedengine.com/index.php?se...ion=com_search
myself. Have had great luck with them.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:00 PM

me and my buddy can rebuild it in a weekend im very mechanically inclined so is he.... so rebuild isnt bad i need to run the compression test to see what it says and yes im getting black smoke too but only at high rpm and i do have a small valve cover leak but no near enough to notice....do the springs on the rockers wear out? because i adjusted them according to the tech manual. and i still have one or 2 that are incredibly noisy. i found a master rebuild kit new rods and pistons, rings, bearings, head gasket and valve stem seals for only 250 or something like that im not looking for a really expensive build i just want a solid motor i know my trans and tcase and axles are good i have checked them out. i may do the fuel filter and plugs i have a k&n filter so thats easy to clean.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 AM

well rebuild kit will be here tomorrow any advice i need for rebuilding the head? i am replacing the fuel filter while i have it apart but i just dont know a whole lot about these engines since i have not messed with them alot. any info would be greatly appreciated