Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

runnin on 3 out of 4 cylinders....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=abecedarian;51116528]I wouldn't do that. It doesn't take much current to burn the coil out in an injector, particularly with low-impedence injectors. They are designed to be on for hundreths of a second at most and be cooled off by the fuel they're spraying. If it ohmed out okay then likely the injector is fine, well except for maybe leaking or bad spray pattern or crap plugging it up. A 'noid' light on the injecter plug will confirm if the injector is getting the pulse from the ECU to fire.

Do it all the time. You just touch it and it clicks. Checking the resistance does not tell you that it is work. It tells you that the coil is not broken but not that the pin is sliding.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:55 PM

so far every suggestion i tried which was all... its to no prevail... well thanx for all the help, i think ill just get rid of all the fuel injection crap and convert it over to a carb... mainly cuz less things to go wrong and easier to diagnose a problem..
Old 04-16-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Batman
because i started pulling the wires from the dizy when it was running and when the one for cyl 2 was pulled nothin happened, and when pulled 1,3,4, the idle went down...and i pulled the wire from both ends, theres spark on both sides but no firing
Intake gasket at the head. My 86 did the same thing and after a Seafoam treatment I found a leak at the head. The intake gasket was leaking a little and the Seafoam pushed the broken piece of the gasket out.

Check the gasket between the intake tubes and the head.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh...
... so air bleeds, jets, accelerator pump stroke, needle valves, float, choke, choke pull off, high-altitude compensation, fuel-cut solenoid, vacuum advance, vacuum retard, fuel pressure, fuel return and vapor separation, EGR switching... those are so much less to deal with than EFI with its coolant temp, air flow, air temp, throttle position, O2 and distributor pick-up... and maybe knock and EGR temp sensors?

They both have spark plugs, valves, compression, pistons and wiring.

...not to mention that if you live in the USA, it's illegal to change EFI to carb unless your year vehicle came with a carb from the factory....
Old 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
...not to mention that if you live in the USA, it's illegal to change EFI to carb unless your year vehicle came with a carb from the factory....
EEw. That sucks. I was thinking of a future project to convert mine to a carb. Guess that's out of the question now.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:46 PM

Oh...
... so air bleeds, jets, accelerator pump stroke, needle valves, float, choke, choke pull off, high-altitude compensation, fuel-cut solenoid, vacuum advance, vacuum retard, fuel pressure, fuel return and vapor separation, EGR switching... those are so much less to deal with than EFI with its coolant temp, air flow, air temp, throttle position, O2 and distributor pick-up... and maybe knock and EGR temp sensors?

They both have spark plugs, valves, compression, pistons and wiring.

for starters im more knowledgeble with carbs than efi and where i live, theres no vehicle inspections, of any kind for my year of truck... and the only thing they do in my town is emission checks on vehicles 1996 and newer..
Old 04-16-2009, 06:53 PM

and dude... your such a buzz kill!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:18 PM

and dude... your such a buzz kill!!!
not trying to be... just keepin it real.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 PM

for starters im more knowledgeble with carbs than efi ...
and... yeah, all those little things in carbs that affect everything and you have to mix and match and tweak... yet efi has a hand full of sensors and wires that either work or don't work- and you can test them all with a meter.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:41 PM

wow abes got the hate out for carbs lol

Have you compression tested the cylinder ?? Have you tried putting a test light on the injector for that cylinder make sure its pulsing??

Also, i don't think you can do this with a 4cyl and have it work still...but i know on a few v-8s the plug wires were completely wrong and the vehicle still ran just like ass. Your plug wires are on correctly i assume

Your timings good too ?
Old 04-17-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the sparkplug is clean and dry, then that cylinder is not getting fuel. If it clean and wet, then it's not getting spark. If there is a vacuum leak, then IMO it should show the typical signs of one. I'm with Abe; EFI is usually not very hard to troubleshoot.

so injectors are all in spec and you tried swapping injectors around... all fine and dandy....
did you try swapping plugs between injectors (which is what I asked but you didn't answer)?
srry for not answering your question, i was elsewhere while typing... umm yea, i put new plugs in, tried it, rearanged wires and plugs and injectors.. and still the same results...
I think he meant the injector plugs(connectors), not the spark plugs. The answers I saw weren't clear to me. Which did you swap around?

If you rearranged the injectors and still have a dead cylinder, then there is probably a fault somewhere between the injector and the ECU assuming there is spark.

Last edited by Dirt Driver; 04-17-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:28 PM

Ouch! Abe that was great lol. If anything I want to swap over to EFI on my 86, but...it's really not worth it $$ wise.

Also - the "tupac" quote in your sig is PRICELESS
Old 05-16-2009, 11:52 PM

in 87 toyota did have carbs so no big deal with that... and its only easier in my opinion czu thats all ive dealt with, since my first car, and if something goes wrong with a carb it can easily be rebuilt for cheap... so right now i might ot be a genious with them but i know how to use, tweek, and match parts and adjust carbs to make them run great...
Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 PM

as for the plugs they are brand spankin new ngk's it looks like that one aint gettin any gas czu it still looks new... and the wires are also brand new, only has about two minutes of wear on them... the timing is pretty damn close, i dont use a light for that on account ive only used one once on my first car... but the wires are all on where they need to be at, the compression checks out fine, i had a buddy check it and he never told me what it was at, but since he didnt make any comments im guessin its fine, and the injuecors have been replaced and rearranged, along with the plugs until i replaced them a few days ago... and im not one for troubleshooting, i just fix things,
Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 AM

all i know is that if i cant get this fricken motor to run on all four im gonna take it out put in a 350, take the old motor out back and shoot it
Old 05-17-2009, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same boat as you man. Misfire with cylinder 2. I've changed just about everything on this engine. All I have left is the ECU and the MAF sensor. And if that doesn't fix it the 22re has to go...
Old 05-17-2009, 02:58 PM

as for the plugs they are brand spankin new ngk's it looks like that one aint gettin any gas czu it still looks new...
Like I said here:

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
If the sparkplug is clean and dry, then that cylinder is not getting fuel. If it clean and wet, then it's not getting spark.

If you rearranged the injectors and still have a dead cylinder, then there is probably a fault somewhere between the injector and the ECU assuming there is spark.
Have you verified that the wiring is good and the injector plug terminals are clean and have good contact? A cheap noid light can be made from an LED and a resistor of the appropriate value for 12v....
Old 05-17-2009, 06:47 PM

x3 on the same problem with number 2 misfire. i have mine down to a fuel issue. tonight i was messing with it while it was running like poo. started wiggling plug wires, coil wires,etc and no change. but when i got to the injector harness and moved around it started running good! (the connections @ the injectors are good).

id pull the harness down and it would misfire on #2. pull the harness in the opposite direction and it would smooth right out. did that for about 10 min and it did the same thing every time so I'm sure its a bad connection in the harness.

before you shoot your engine, you might want to check into that..
Old 05-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave
EEw. That sucks. I was thinking of a future project to convert mine to a carb. Guess that's out of the question now.
ah, who's try'n to be legal anymore
Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 PM

and now for the fun-
the 22re injectors are all wired in parallel- all 4 fire at the same time.
If you switch say #2 and #3 injector plugs (they should reach) the problem should follow the plug from #2 to #3 if it's a wiring problem, or stay on #2 if its the injector... or something more mechanical like a sticking or mal-adjusted valve in #2.

"Noid" lights are great trouble shooters here too since they will reveal if the injector is getting a signal. No "flash" of the noid, no signal.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-17-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: runnin on 3 out of 4 cylinders....