Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Roll bar, take it or leave it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ya i rolled around with a big honda 4x4 4wheeler in the back of my truck for a while..it fit ALMOST right in between the roll bar..and in fact went all the up to the front if you bent the fenders of it in a little bit..lol..only problem i had with the 4wheeler..is that it ed my tailgate ALLLLLL up..the toyota tailgate was not engineered to support that much weight..but o well..its a beater..toyota tail gates are for sale everywhere anyway..

i've been thinking on how to cut down on the light inside the cab..and will probably just bolt a small square piece of aluminum to the base..no that wouldnt work either because of the other light shining some into the cab...idk..i'll figure out something..my roll bar is made for a 79-83 anyway..no an 84-88...

if i can ever find like a LEER type camper..one that is fiberglass..looks nice..fits close to the cab..and doesnt look like ..i will most likely get it and do away with the roll bar..one like RESmith's his looks INCREDIBLE in my opinion...

does anybody know of any camper tops like this???..i cant even find one in ANY craigslist..and i've searched ALOT of cities...
Old 06-19-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i like roll bars, i think yours could use an little more beef though but still looks great as far as the lights not being useful turn the center ones twards the back, they will work great at lighting up whatever is behind you including that tailgater that wont turn his brights off. xzyragon just cause you have an 2wd does not mean you cant rock the roll bar

here is my 2wd with roll bar

i need to put some lights back on it however, my roll bar has 3 light mounts i had two forward facing and one rear facing lights on it

iv never had anyone made any negative comments about my roll bar, unless you count one time someone asked me if they actually work, i told them i don't know haven't tested them and don't plan to. and with the lift tires roll bar and front bumper seems everyone assumes my truck is 4 wheel drive including the last time i was at the local ohv park i almost got stuck in some soft sand climbing an steep hill after i made it to the top an guy came up to me and said hey only your back tires were spinning then after i told him it was only 2wd he asked how i even made it out there

Last edited by Ezrider_92356; 06-19-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say load it up with lights big enough to be useful! Maybe even call up Uncle Sam and see if he has a spotlight or two he'd be willing to part with...

Make it like noon when you turn that sucker on!
Old 06-20-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
rollbars make you this cool

and if your 22re can push you past 80 mph, you might be able to go back to the future too

wrong.... these trucks dont have the superconductive body able to withstand 1.21 jiggawatts needed to activate the flux capacitor... though im half tempted to rig up a flux capacitor once i get buckets in.... would be interesting, to say the least...
and for the record, my truck will do 100mph no sweat.
...well i get nervous when its that fast, cuz it feels like its gonna fall apart....
i dunno, my truck ALWAYS gets compliments. and ive heard it called the mcfly truck also.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I havnt re-installed the roll bar yet. But its safe in my shed. I plan on ordering 4 Hella 700ff's, rig up some light deflectors (so I dont get light in through the back of the cab, and my sunroof) and re-drill the roll bar mount holes to slide it forward a half inch.

Then its just a matter of welding on some hi-lift mounts onto the roll bar. Right now I can bolt my hi-lift in using the holes I drilled for the roll bar.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 AM

When I first bought my rollbar, I thought the light bar on it was funky looking. But after mounting lights and using them, I think it is a great design.

It sets the lights far enough up and forward that I don't get any light in the back of the cab.
But having a sun roof makes it much more difficult for you. Is there some kind of insert that can be put in the sunroof to block it?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by grant526
When I first bought my rollbar, I thought the light bar on it was funky looking. But after mounting lights and using them, I think it is a great design.

It sets the lights far enough up and forward that I don't get any light in the back of the cab.
But having a sun roof makes it much more difficult for you. Is there some kind of insert that can be put in the sunroof to block it?

From what I have heard, there was a factory cover that slipped into place. But where the heck am I gonna find one, I have never even seen one..

I suppose I could always try and fab something up.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 PM

Give your local yota scrapper a call. . . They may know of something! If all else fails, you can probably take one of those Spring folding windshield covers and cut it down. Then you have something that will fold up and slide in the back easy w/o getting damaged or taking up much space. But also be functional for w/ the lights on, or just getting out of the sun. . . Just a thought. JC Whitney or someone may sell something along those lines.

Keep us posted if you find anything.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

There is one junkyard that has the monopoly on yotas, they buy em all and charge ALOT for em. www.usedsuvparts.com

It would be sweet to have a factory cover!!! I wonder if I could take one from a 4runner and modify it...

Last edited by Jay351; 06-23-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 AM

Is the sun roof different from a Truck to a Runner? Dumb question, I know. If you found a 91 Runner, you might be able to make it work. . . If it isn't the same. I'd definitely look into that possibility.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

The pickup is a pop up/removable moon roof, the 4runner has a pop up/retract sunroof. So the cover just slides back.. i think
Old 06-24-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
correct... the cover slides back into the same housing that the sunroof slides into...

the sunroof pops up in back for just a crack of air, then lays flat and sucks under the roofline when you want it fully open...

at least thats what i hear, mine hasnt worked since i bought it...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 AM

I was wondering how much different they are. So you can physically take the moon roof out of the trucks? nice! Could you fit a piece of sheet metal that fills the hole just like the glass does? That way you have options! And no worries about the roof lights when they are on! (assuming you have the custom metal insert in)
Old 06-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah you could do that. You are gonna be amazed how easy it is to remove the factory sunroof!!

Pop the handle off its mount on the roof (by depressing the sides of the pivot), then unhook the little metal doodad on the drivers side seal that keeps the sunroof from flying off (just depress it). Then just life the window out, it slides into the front of the roof with two flat tabs. Just lift up and you will hear it unhook.

Takes me about 2 mins to remove it. slide the tabs into place, make sure its nice and even and just put it in. The little metal doodad will hookup by itself, and then just hook the handle back up..

It took me over a year of owning my truck to figure that one out!!

to put it back in, just slide the
Old 06-28-2009, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
say leave it because my roll bar saved my truck from more damage
Old 06-28-2009, 09:22 PM

89whitetoyota: are you one one of the beastie boys?