Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rock Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think if rustproofing were important in your area you could put a thin bead of silicone or form in place gasket between the plate and frame or make rubber washers out of old bike inner tube.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If any force was exerted on the slider, then any silicon or rubber between would be pushed out or pierced.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they look good. when are you going to try them out? when you have a free minute clean up the garage, or, are you saving that for the kid
Old 03-24-2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You want to scab plate the frame IMO for strength and to spread out the loading.

You need to spread the load or you stand the risk of damaging the frame.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yota Tony

You need to spread the load or you stand the risk of damaging the frame.
OR ripping the sliders off the frame.....
Old 03-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

looks sturdy... I personally do not like the idea of drilling/tapping into the frame, as it will eventually strip out if actually used on the trail, but it is still pretty good, and is a decent alternative to welding if that is not wanted. (Don't want to start a weld versus bolt argument)

Here are decent pics of welding to frame with gusset plates (click for larger)

Old 03-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tortis
they look good. when are you going to try them out? when you have a free minute clean up the garage, or, are you saving that for the kid
Dude, this is the bad thing about having a 5 car garage; your house becomes the family's storage. That is all my uncle's junk. He's had it there for over a year. I don't have the heart to toss it out. Maybe my kid will when he/she turns 18.

You can see my e-locker and new front third laying right in front of the tires. NEXT!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

i am sure you are charging him a fair yearly rental and by the way, those thirds look real good on the floor. you wanna sell them
Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

HA!! NO WAY!! Too much thinking and and work went into them. Just ask BLKNBLU haha. They will be going on THIS MONTH remember? The check is in the mail.

When the heck are you gona come up? Mardi Gras already passed so you have no reason to stay in LA. Bring me some beads when you come up.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wjwerdna
looks sturdy... I personally do not like the idea of drilling/tapping into the frame, as it will eventually strip out if actually used on the trail, but it is still pretty good, and is a decent alternative to welding if that is not wanted. (Don't want to start a weld versus bolt argument)

Here are decent pics of welding to frame with gusset plates (click for larger)
Sliders look good man! I was seriously considering just welding, especially considering I had to still pay an extra $30 for hardware. Bolting on was SO much easier though, I'm glad I went that route. We welded my buddy's sliders on his Jeep and it was a major PITA.

What kind of sliders do you have? I like how they aren't too far out from the body. It's now kind of a PITA to get in/out of my truck w/the sliders.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't remember where I saw this, but it was a very good idea. Extending from the frame were three tubes, just large enough to accommodate the legs of the sliders. These tubes were welded and gusseted, but you could remove the sliders by pulling them out. They were secured by bolts.

There is a picture of this somewhere, but I've lost it.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Sliders look good man! I was seriously considering just welding, especially considering I had to still pay an extra $30 for hardware. Bolting on was SO much easier though, I'm glad I went that route. We welded my buddy's sliders on his Jeep and it was a major PITA.

What kind of sliders do you have? I like how they aren't too far out from the body. It's now kind of a PITA to get in/out of my truck w/the sliders.
I made them, 2"x2"x1/4" wall square tube, with close to 3/16" wall tubing (scrap industrial hydraulic line of some sort), they are way overkill, but will outlast the vehicle by about 500 years. Bending was a pain, but they both came out pretty close to each other

Originally Posted by Matt16
I can't remember where I saw this, but it was a very good idea. Extending from the frame were three tubes, just large enough to accommodate the legs of the sliders. These tubes were welded and gusseted, but you could remove the sliders by pulling them out. They were secured by bolts.

awesome idea, I wish I had thought of something like it, I can see it being more work at first (large holes in frame) but in the end the best of both worlds!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

HA!! NO WAY!! Too much thinking and and work went into them. Just ask BLKNBLU haha. They will be going on THIS MONTH remember? The check is in the mail.

When the heck are you gona come up? Mardi Gras already passed so you have no reason to stay in LA. Bring me some beads when you come up.
AC. my wife not working last year didn't help my bill to uncle sam. i have to send him 10 large. kinda cut into my play, and travel money a little.
don't count me out yet. i am waiting to see what color of outfit i need to bring for the young'in. i am really going to try and make it up there in june for my grandfather's 91st birthday. he lives in the northwestern part of kansas, about 15 hours from here, and about 3-4 hours from denver.
another note. finally sold the 4runner to a fellow here in town, of course all that money goes to uncle sam. death and taxes. alright, i am ready for the pics of the diff's going in. only you can make it happen.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16

Kind of like this one? http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/sliders/slee2.jpg

they are from Slee Off Road http://www.sleeoffroad.com/
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yopar
WOW... those look great!!

I went to sleeoffroad though and the sliders there are $595.00!

Another thing I've experienced with the sliders on my truck is people who park to you, begin to hate you. I've seen so many people staring at their door dings from slamming their doors into my sliders LOL!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 AM

they shouldnt be parked that close to you
Old 05-02-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW... those look great!!

I went to sleeoffroad though and the sliders there are $595.00!

Another thing I've experienced with the sliders on my truck is people who park to you, begin to hate you. I've seen so many people staring at their door dings from slamming their doors into my sliders LOL!

Even funnier is to park really close with sliders to another "close parker" then they cant open their doors at all