Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Disc Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Scribed for future reference ... GREAT write up!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i used a trail gear rear disc kit, and a 1" bore mc.
2 years and about 10k miles later, i'm happy with how everything works.
along with the v6 front calipers/rotors i have strong brakes.

just have to install my proportioning valve and an allpro tc e-brake.

to the OP good write up. should be sticky.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4x4 rotors fit perfectly and the matching calipers have enough clearance that I can fit my hand between the caliper and the inside of my 15s

I took a bunch of measurements and I'm having custom brackets made up to use them... so far this seems like a much better solution than Monte Carlo calipers: better clearance, cheaper parts, no modifications to the calipers or rotors needed, and they're more appropriately sized for rear brakes on a vehicle this size so I'd be willing to bet I wont need a proportioning valve either.

if I can find some backing plates I might be able to figure out the viability of getting the montero ebrakes working with this as well.

If anyone is interested I'll be selling my Sky/Monte-Caro setup since I no longer have need of it.

Last edited by twistedsymphony; 09-18-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by twistedsymphony
Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4x4 rotors fit perfectly and the matching calipers have enough clearance that I can fit my hand between the caliper and the inside of my 15s

I took a bunch of measurements and I'm having custom brackets made up to use them... so far this seems like a much better solution than Monte Carlo calipers: better clearance, cheaper parts, no modifications to the calipers or rotors needed, and they're more appropriately sized for rear brakes on a vehicle this size so I'd be willing to bet I wont need a proportioning valve either.

if I can find some backing plates I might be able to figure out the viability of getting the montero ebrakes working with this as well.

If anyone is interested I'll be selling my Sky/Monte-Caro setup since I no longer have need of it.
I' very interested in the details when you get this finished!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just wondering

Could you run the same caliper on the rear as.you have onthe front?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by 40vern
Could you run the same caliper on the rear as.you have onthe front?
There are kits to do that, however the front rotors mount behind the hub, which places a majority of the caliper outside of the wheel. using similar rotors on the rear would place the caliper almost entirely inside the wheel, and with a tapered inner diameter I would likely run into the same clearance issues.

not to mention brakes that size are way overkill for the rear and would screw up the bias.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 AM

ok

I.was.just wondering since they fit on the front but what you say makes since
Old 10-13-2012, 02:10 PM

twistedsymphony, did you sell that second Sky disc kit? I have an '86 4by x-cab that may eventually be in need. Hope you get the wheel fitting problens resolved. Interesting about the Montero compatibility. Let us know how that works out for you.

One thing I did notice about my rear discs is that, even with my proportioning valve backed completely off, the back wheels lock up a bit before the fronts. That's not right, especially driving in snow as much as I do.

I'm also experiencing front discs rubbing on the rotors and think it may be time for a new master cylinder (having never replaced it on this 28 year old truck).
Old 10-13-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by TruckeeToy
twistedsymphony, did you sell that second Sky disc kit? I have an '86 4by x-cab that may eventually be in need. Hope you get the wheel fitting problens resolved. Interesting about the Montero compatibility. Let us know how that works out for you.

One thing I did notice about my rear discs is that, even with my proportioning valve backed completely off, the back wheels lock up a bit before the fronts. That's not right, especially driving in snow as much as I do.

I'm also experiencing front discs rubbing on the rotors and think it may be time for a new master cylinder (having never replaced it on this 28 year old truck).
I still have the sky kit, the calipers are still hooked up because I didn't want to disconnect the lines until I was ready to install the Montero calipers. It just so happens that I have a brand new master cylinder too (I bought it thinking I needed one only to find out I already had the larger bore M/C). All this stuff is brand new, although the rotors have developed a little surface rust having been exposed to the rain.

-------
As for the montero calipers, the first bracket design didn't quite work but it was very close. I hope to have my new design machined within a week or two and we'll see how that goes. The next few days I'll be working out the lines.

here are some pics of the Montero setup:

You can see that the Montero rotors are lots deeper than the GM rotors used by the Sky kit. They have a slightly larger outside diameter but a much smaller braking surface

Here was my first fitment test before developing a bracket, you can see on my 15" Micky Thompson wheel there is TONS of clearance with the Montero calipers and rotors

With my first prototype bracket installed I'm really happy with the placement, the angle and spacing is all spot on

Unfortunately the caliper is too far towards the inside of the vehicle, as you can see the inside pad is installed and there is quite a bit of gap, there also isn't enough room for the outside pad to be installed, even with the caliper at the limit of the sliders.

The next version of the bracket is a 2-part bracket instead of 1 piece this will move the caliper 3/8" toward the outside. (I'm having these made at a machine shop so hopefully they'll be in soon)

EDIT: I finished version 2 of the brakets and got everything installed, they work great
http://solid-orange.com/1034

Last edited by twistedsymphony; 11-27-2012 at 05:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
shikard (09-28-2019)
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Checked the link - nice work. Persistence often required. I'm interested if/when you decide to get rid of the Sky kit.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by TruckeeToy
Checked the link - nice work. Persistence often required. I'm interested if/when you decide to get rid of the Sky kit.
already sold, sorry.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can the ABS system be left in place with this swap? I definately need to do a rear disc swap with the truck soon to make 4x to 5x the power it had....

E-brake will be accomplished with a good ole line lock like a good drag racer - on the front axle!!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM

Thumbs up

I'm gonna start this tomorrow!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 PM

Question

Why couldn't you use runner or Tacoma or tundra or chevy parts, rotors and calipers?
Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I was just going to say something that is probably, most likely, totally irrelevant... Haha... But anyway why not: the yard the other day had an 89 4runner, and the guy had installed a complete Chevy axle on the rear... They have pretty heavy duty calipers and working e brake... I'm not sure why he decided to transfer the whole entire axle... The Wheel stuck out a little bit too much, but other than that it look like it was working for him? Lol. ....
Old 05-22-2013, 12:57 AM

Question

So, if you've got all your parts and beer in the fridge, is this a good solid weekend project or a knock down dragged out month long project? I'm probably going to do an axle swap with i, that I'm sure will be a good 3 days, so maybe I'll just get the brake components on that and ready to rip, then just connect all the crap when the axle gets hung. Thoughts? Prayers?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
T4Rguy, I'm in the process of restoring my 1983 Pickup and went with a rear conversion as well. Here's the rundown of how long it would have taken me if I did it all at once and wasn't distracted by a wife and one-year-old.

Day 1
-Drop axle
-Remove old drums & Hardware
-Remove axle shafts
-Remove axle seals
-Sandblast axle housing
-Apply 3 coats of POR-15

Day 2
-Remove Drum backing plates by removing bearing/bearing cups (Must use a press or you can cut them off) from axle shafts
-Remove old wheel studs from axle flanges
-Remove Bearings from bearing cups (Again, use a press)
-Clean up axle shafts
-Clean up bearing cups
-Powdercoat axle shaft flanges, bearing cups and disc brake conversion brackets

Day 3
-Press new bearings into bearing cups
-Press new wheel studs into axle shaft flanges
-Fress bearings/bearing cups and bearing collar onto the axle shafts
-Install snap rings onto the axle shafts
-Install new axle seals
-Slide axle shafts into the axle housing
-Bolt on the disc brake bracket
-Bolt on the new calipers
-Reinstall axle housing to the truck

Voila, you're done!

It could easily take a day if you aren't cleaning parts and waiting for paint to dry, but 3 days is tops.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:15 PM

1979-1995 4runner & Truck rear disc brake brackets!!

CNC plasma cut Toyota rear disc brake brackets!!

Cut outta 1/4" mild steele plate!!

FITS all 1979-1995 Toyota 4Runners and hilux Trucks!!

$86 bucks shipped!!

Lower 48 States & across CANADA with a tracking number!!

You can use IFS, Tacoma, Pre-1985 calipers and rotor combinations!!

**Warning** You have to cut off the rear axle backing plate to fit the brackets!! Your losing your emergency brake in the process!!** Your gonna need to install a manual proprtioning valve to keep the rear brakes from locking up **Warning**

Last edited by viaduct09; 07-21-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by viaduct09
CNC plasma cut Toyota rear disc brake brackets!!

Cut outta 1/4" mild steele plate!!

FITS all 1979-1995 Toyota 4Runners and hilux Trucks!!

$86 bucks shipped!!

Lower 48 States & across CANADA with a tracking number!!

You can use IFS, Tacoma, Pre-1985 calipers and rotor combinations!!

**Warning** You have to cut off the rear axle backing plate to fit the brackets!! Your losing your emergency brake in the process!!** Your gonna need to install a manual proprtioning valve to keep the rear brakes from locking up **Warning**
Highly interested do you have pics of this. What kind if modifications is required to use stock 95 ifs rotors and calibers?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 PM

Once the e-brake backing plate is cut off...likely have to grind down the outter axle shaft (wheel stud side) a couple of thousandths with a grinder...too slide what ever Toyota rotor you choose to run with!!

Here's a link to a post of a successful rear disc brake conversion on a 88' 4Runner!! He used 1997 Tacoma rotors & Pre-1995 calipers!!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nstall-191482/

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Highly interested do you have pics of this. What kind if modifications is required to use stock 95 ifs rotors and calibers?

Last edited by viaduct09; 08-22-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Disc Swap