86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Questions Please Help =-)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions Please Help =-)

Hello as you can tell I am new here, and have came to this site seeking help on my 1991 Toyota build.

To begin I have attached a few pictures of trucks I really like and also a picture of my truck and the plans I have for it.

The first picture of the green Toyota is a Toyota that I seen back home at my parents house. The best I could tell it has a 4in suspension lift and as well as a 3in body lift. The truck also has what I believe are 10in wheels and 36x12.50 on it. (What do you guys think?)

The second picture I have is just a truck I seen on a website that appears to be the same setup as the truck I seen back home.

The third picture is my silver 1991 Toyota. It has a 3in body lift as well as 10in wheels w/ 33x12.50s. Here is where some of my questions begin. I use this truck as a mild offroader but mainly just to and from college. By the way please don't mention a SAS please. Anyways I really want to put 5.29s as well as a locker in it. But I really want to know if I will be able to clear the 36x12.50s with my 3in body and the addtitonal 4-5.5 suspension setup like these trucks I have posted above. Does the trucks above have anything special done other than what I have stated by the pictures because I want my truck to have that setup just the same as the trucks above. I just want to make sure I have enough fender space to clear the 36in tires.

Thank you all so much and please help me because I want my truck to sit and look just like the ones listed above! Again feedback would be so appreciated. By the way I LOVE THIS FREAKIN SITE people actually help people unlike.......................................toyot aoffroad

The only picture I could get attached was the green truck I am sorry I don't have much time to play with it now but I think you guys will get the drift.
Attached Thumbnails Questions Please Help =-)-e7d7dc37.jpg  
Old 09-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could get 36's on there with less lift (lower COG). All of your questions can easily be discovered doing a little searching on here.

Couple things I would do during your research is research the positives and negatives of running a body lift that large, as well as running 36's on IFS.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
You should be able to clean 36" tires with that ammount of lift

p.s I love my body lift
Old 09-18-2007, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will begin with say my truck already has a 3in body lift installed on it with 33s. I am looking to put the largest suspension lift on it which all I have found is 5in rough country lift for the money. Anyways I am glad to hear I can clear 36in tires easy. This truck will only be used for mild trail riding and hunting so COG isn't a huge factory at all with me because I have always wanted a truck that sits pretty high in the air. I was just worried about having fender space, but surely if I am already running 33s with just a 3in body then with a 4-5in suspension lift I can clear 36s no prob. I know SAS is the best for offroading, but I am in college and money is tight for me so my plans can only go so far, plus I use the truck everyday so as of now I am not looking into doing a SAS. Again thank you greatly for replying I love this forum because people are actually involved in helping other people with questions unlike other forums I ahve joined.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:26 PM

Keep in mind that 36's might be a little much for CV style axles. Especially with the CV angle you'll be running with a high lift like that. You should research what the axles are capable of.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 PM

It's a drop down kit of the diff. so basically the angles will be nothing more than the factory settings. It is almost like putting a body lift under the front end just in reverse to allow for more fender space. But thank you for telling me to consider that because I learned on my old Nissan all about CV and torsion bars lol..
Old 09-18-2007, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the 4" Rough Country lift and, with exception of the rear blocks, I like it alot. You can't beat it for the money. Keep in mind that 36's are going to require regearing to like a 5.29 gear. Its a daily driver so you can say goodbye to any kind of decent gas mileage. I get 10mpg with 3.0, 33's and stock gearing. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I think these trucks look awesome floatin' on big meats like that, just understand that there is a downside to factor in.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 AM

I don't see a body lift on that green truck but the pics are kind of small... If it had 36's it probably did though. I t does look nice.

I have just about everything on my truck that you want. I bought this truck new and love it more now than I ever have.

A word of warning though, I don't know if it's just me or not but I refuse to do any hardcore offroading now. I'll do fire roads, mud, and climbing some hills but no rocks or hardcore. The bracket lift gives me no confidence at all.

Still, for my 95% street use of the truck it's the best thing since apple pie.

I had a buildup thread over at TN before I got in a fight with the mods and got banned, but the thread is still there with plenty of pics.

http://toyotanation.com/forum/t184391.html
Old 09-19-2007, 05:51 AM

Overrdrive, well like stated above that is EXACTLY how I want my truck. But I have a few questions to ask you if you don't mine.

1. Were did you find 5.29's for the front and rear with IFS?

2. I plan on running the rouch country 4-5in suspension lift w/ rear 4in blocks I know get leafs, but money is tight anyways how much rear lift do you actually have?

3. Were and how much were your balljoint spacers? Are they a must given I can get 5in without putting much strain on the T-bars without them? plus the fact I am only going up 4in in the rear of the truck?

4. I also plan to run 36x12.50 do you ever rub your 13.50's?

5. I also want the truck to set perfectly level any suggestions? oh and without strain on the front cv's.

by the way straight up killer pictures of the build on TN they will come in handy! And yOUR truck freaking rocks dude!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 AM

1. 5.29's are common at any place that sells or installs Toyota gears. I got my rear from Zuk already set up and the front from some guy in CA that did an SAS to his truck and had this sitting around collecting dust. I sent $150 and he sent it to me.

2. Counting the 4" block, 3.5" spring, and 3" body lift, the back is up about 10.5". It's still a few inches higher than the front but I haven't gotten around to messing with it to let it down any. I hate a bull dogged truck more than anything and would rather keep my slight rake than go the other way. Eventually I'm going to go with a Trail-gear 5" rear spring kit and an extended shackle and try to get it even with the front.

3. BJ spacers came from Toyota of Dallas (www.trdparts4u.com) but 4crawler also sells them. If you feel like giving something back to Roger for all he does buy from 4crawler. If you need to save $10 buy from strap. http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-BJS1.aspx?MakeID=1 At the time $10 was a lot to me as I had spent about $4k on the parts...

4. My tires don't rub at all.

5. Do the front first and then try to level out the back to it. Lifts for the back are easy and cheap, the front is more set in stone. With a Trail-gear rear kit and a slightly longer shackle in the back, you could let out the tbars in the front a little until it was level and still clear the 36's plenty well. I just have gotten lazy and a new hobby so I haven't messed with mine very much lately. (DRZ400SM )

Thanks for the comments man. If you have any questions just ask and I'll help you as I can.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 AM

Do you recommend the BJ spacers? Do you really think you gained 6.5in in the front of you truck because I was thinking 5in suspension plus 1.5bj spacers ? and if I run a 4in block were can I get 2in shackels for the rear at? Thanks again for all your input man this has been so much inspiration!!!!!!

Last edited by 91yotadog; 09-19-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 91yotadog
Do you recommend the BJ spacers? Do you really think you gained 6.5in in the front of you truck because I was thinking 5in suspension plus 1.5bj spacers ? and if I run a 4in block were can I get 2in shackels for the rear at? Thanks again for all your input man this has been so much inspiration!!!!!!
I'd recommend BJ spacers and you can get them and longer shackels from Roger @ 4crawler Offroad:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml

I wouldn't go any bigger than 35" tires myself, I like my 33's.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 91yotadog

The bj spacer is the only part of my suspension that I know will never fail.

4crawler is just about the best place to get an extended shackle. He can make them custom at any length you want.

I probably got 6" out of my front setup. They advertise those kits at 5" but that's with a tbar crank, they're really only 4". I may have gotten a little more because I had a tbar crank before that I let out some but probably not all the way back to stock. My front end is nice and flexy now.

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 09-19-2007 at 12:01 PM.