Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Panhard Rod drop bracket or Adjustable Panhard Rod?
Drop Bracket - Bolt on
35.19%
Drop Bracket - Weld on
18.52%
Adjustable Panhard Rod
22.22%
Leave it alone - no harm
24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Panhard Rod drop bracket or Adjustable Panhard Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hlpressley
I know this is a old thread guys but I was still wondering which one would be better for the LC coils in the rear? I understand that the bar gives more articulation but is it really that much? I guess what I am asking is should I buy the drop bracket or the adjustable drop bar from Steve??? Please tell me why one is better than the other.

BTW. Mine is actually a 97 but I think it is the same as the 2nd gen.
Holy old thread bat-man! As far as I know, it is the drop bracket, not the extended bar that gives more articulation. The bracket is also a heck of a lot cheaper, you just have to know someone, or be able to weld it up yourself.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm there's lot of bad info going around. The pan hard bar basically centered the rear axle. you drop the axle, it moves the axle in a radius.
As the suspension flex, the axle swings the driveshaft toward the gas tank. You can swap with front double cardan d-shaft. It's skinnier than the rear one. I've been running it for a while now and it's fine. Another option is to move the gas tank to the rear where the spare tires is located. 2" body lift helps with the clearance.
I would just use Downey or Roger Brown bolt on type. When you're ready to go higher, you just change it.

this pic show my set up right after my SAS. I eventually took off the Downey one cause I swapped out the coil with a softer one.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:02 PM

Some other information.

Seems almost everyone makes a trackbar *DROP* bracket that drops the mounting location on the frame end (passenger side).

The is 100% ass backwards from what's really needed.

I've seen at least one vendor (can't remember who at the moment) that makes a trackbar *RAISED* bracket, that is it entends (raises) the axle mounted end (drivers side) of the trackbar.

This is the correct way if you're not going with an adjustable trackbar (and should even be done if you do go with an adjustable trackbar).

I haven't look at any of the adjustable trackbars that are being sold, but I sure hope that the ends are some sort of flexable joint (heims, JJ's, etc).
If not they'll contribute to suspension bind during articulation.

Fred
Old 11-08-2006, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
I haven't look at any of the adjustable trackbars that are being sold, but I sure hope that the ends are some sort of flexable joint (heims, JJ's, etc).
If not they'll contribute to suspension bind during articulation.

Fred
How does the binding occur? the axle is held inplace by the 4 links. the pan hard bar justs go up and down.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by anthony1
How does the binding occur? the axle is held inplace by the 4 links. the pan hard bar justs go up and down.

You should really set the vehicle up on jack stands, remove the rear wheels and, using a floor jack under the ends of the axle, cycle the suspension some and get an idea on how a 5 link suspension works.

The axle has *TWO* planes of movement.

- It moves up and down, as you've indicated.
- It also moves FORWARD and BACKWARDS (when viewed from the side).

These two planes of motion, combined, make the axle move in an arc when viewed from the side.
This is because the control arms (links) are fastened to a fixed place on the frame and thus will rotate around that fixed point (they are the radius of a circle). When the CA's (links) move up and down, when viewed from the side), they'll rotate around their pivot point on the frame end and thus, "shorten" or "lengthen" the front/rear placement of the axle.

So, this means that the trackbar does NOT just move up and down, but it's also pulled forward and rearward on it's mounts as the axle articulates.

With relatively tight rubber or poly bushings at both ends, that will introduce binding.

Fred
Old 11-09-2006, 11:11 AM

ic what you mean. I think these rubber bushings has a lot of give. I've never had issues with binding.
Having said that, I'd like to get rid of the pan hard bar all together and go with trianglulated 4 links.
but that takes $$ that I don't have.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by anthony1
ic what you mean. I think these rubber bushings has a lot of give. I've never had issues with binding.
Having said that, I'd like to get rid of the pan hard bar all together and go with trianglulated 4 links.
but that takes $$ that I don't have.
Just remember that longer coils (and shocks) allow the axle to articulate more.
The more the axle articulates on the vertical place, the move it'll move on the horizontail (view from the side) plane and the more stress on the trackbar mounting brackets because of the rubber or poly bushings.

Now, just for fun, since you understand the axle movement.
The axle also moves on two other planes (at least), other than the vertical plane and the horizontal plane (when viewed from the side).
Can you tell what those planes are ?

Fred
Old 11-10-2006, 08:18 PM

With a heimed/stock jointed panhard, custom links and a drop combined with 5009 Ranchos, the rear of my truck worked better than I could have ever imagined. I was maxing shocks on both compression and droop.

I don't care what planes things move in.

I also think that for most people with a mostly stock suspension, the drop is the best solution bar none no matter what theory says.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:51 AM

I agree. I've never heard of anyone broke the pan hard bar mount before.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:26 AM

Never the panhard, often ripping the uppers off the housing.

I even had a bent passenger side upper to clear the tank and eliminate bind even more.