Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
View Poll Results: Panhard Rod drop bracket or Adjustable Panhard Rod?
Drop Bracket - Bolt on
35.19%
Drop Bracket - Weld on
18.52%
Adjustable Panhard Rod
22.22%
Leave it alone - no harm
24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Panhard Rod drop bracket or Adjustable Panhard Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Panhard Rod drop bracket or Adjustable Panhard Rod?

I've got PP rear coils on my rig. My understanding is that longer rear coils move the rear axle sideways since the panhard rod is no longer the right length to keep it centered.

Would this off center position of the rear axle cause my Runner not to track straight? Would this require constant corrections while driving and result in some uneven tire wear?

Or is this really just a negligible issue, no harm done, except maybe the driveshaft whacking the gas tank on max articulation?

My jump to 33's soon has made me think it's time to correct this if it's a problem.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get one from Steve. Very solid and easy to deal with.

Dan
Old 08-04-2003, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by asudan96Runner
Get one from Steve. Very solid and easy to deal with.

Dan
I thought he was only making 3rd gen ones.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

That's true, he only makes 3rd gen brackets, but the issues would be the same. I'm not sure about uneven tire wear, but it will help out with rubbing as demonstrated by Keisur's pics; which incidentally I think are also on Steve's site.

Last edited by TDiddy; 08-04-2003 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

A longer bar will re-center the axle but will not give you the extra articulation as the mounting point is still too high for the lift.

The axle only move 1/4" so the fact the the bar can droop further is really the main reason for the drop bracket.

Downey makes a great one for 2nd gens, saw Adrians in person.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah the Downey 3" bracket is really only a 2" drop.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:33 PM

I have been running better than 40k miles with assorted rear lift and drop brackets as well as wheeling it pretty good during that time, so I will reiterate what I often say on this.

First, Downey coils, no drop bracket, stock length Bilsteins. No issues at all. I don't recall the specific angle of the rod as that was some time ago, but there were no problems wheeling or on the street.

Then, Downey coils, longer rear shocks. Occassional issues with the driveshaft skid and gas tank getting friendly. No other issues.

Then, Downey coils and spacers and longer shocks still but now with a Downey drop bracket. Gas tank skid and driveshaft get really friendly now. Axle looks slightly offset to the passenger side at ride height. No problems on road.

Now Cruiser coils, same length long shocks, and a Downey bracket. I listed this separetely because I am getting more lift frmo the cruise coils. Gas tank, not skid, and driveshaft hump like rabbits. With trail gear, the axle is slightly off-set, that is 3+ inches of lift. No problems on the street.

I have noticed absolutely zero issues with not completely flat panhard angles on the street in more than 40k miles of driving. My issues have occurred with longer than stock shocks and wheeling.

As Steve said, my bracket is only 2". He paid close attention to it and didn't seem enthused about making one. He also did get to see and hear my tank and drivehsaft getting cozy.

Honestly, I don't think that adding a bracket is that huge a deal if you have less than 3" of lift and wheel it. The brackets is clearly the way to go instead of simply longer than so that pivot is moved.

Downey sells the bracket, it just comes with some spacers and stuff.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:24 AM

Custom bracket welded up for a 6pack of good beer. Sits perfectly level with Eibach springs (~2.5" lift). Haven't been off road w/ swaybar disconnected since I've had it done, but doesn't sit as crooked as it used to on level ground.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
A longer bar will re-center the axle but will not give you the extra articulation as the mounting point is still too high for the lift.

The axle only move 1/4" so the fact the the bar can droop further is really the main reason for the drop bracket.

Downey makes a great one for 2nd gens, saw Adrians in person.
not to mention a longer panhard rod will make your driveshaft and your gas tank become very friendly with one another...
Old 02-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 44Runner
not to mention a longer panhard rod will make your driveshaft and your gas tank become very friendly with one another...
are you using a panhard anymore? modified?
Old 02-03-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by RTdawgs
are you using a panhard anymore? modified?

Old 05-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

ive got a question regarding panhard rods...
the reason i ask is because my roommate just recently lifted his 2000 Isuzu Rodeo, and their rear suspension is practically the same as 2nd and 3rd Gen runners. and with his lift kit, they didnt include a drop bracket for the panhard, but rather a new bar that is bent. what is the benefit of this if at all? here is a pic to illustrate what im talking about...

im just curious if this will do away with the need to drop the bracket. does it increase flex? im just not exactly sure what the need for the bend is

-Casey
Old 05-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by casey
ive got a question regarding panhard rods...
the reason i ask is because my roommate just recently lifted his 2000 Isuzu Rodeo, and their rear suspension is practically the same as 2nd and 3rd Gen runners. and with his lift kit, they didnt include a drop bracket for the panhard, but rather a new bar that is bent. what is the benefit of this if at all? here is a pic to illustrate what im talking about...

im just curious if this will do away with the need to drop the bracket. does it increase flex? im just not exactly sure what the need for the bend is

-Casey

That's a bolt on solution so you don't have to drive all the way to Arizona to get one installed.

Someone could make those for 3rd Gens but they would be a heck of alot more expensive than 75 bucks.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

yea, good point.

I heard somewhere that the bend increases flex, but i dont see how that would work?
Old 01-22-2006, 07:14 AM

bought the extended pnahard bar from Steve for my 3rd gen from Steve, and I love it, I noticed better handling on road, especially after taking bumps, it used to feel weird with my stock bar after the lift, but it seems to ride like stock, with stiffer springs of course. I would definately reccomend the extended bar, never tried the brackets though. I use mine as a DD so, thats where I notice the most difference, on road. Aside from that, I believe if the back axle is off a 1/4" to the right, wont the drive shaft and joints wear quicker too?
Old 01-22-2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by JHupp
Aside from that, I believe if the back axle is off a 1/4" to the right, wont the drive shaft and joints wear quicker too?
not to any extent that you would ever worry about..
Old 01-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have recently started carrying a bolt-on 2nd gen panhard drop bracket:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...anhardDropBrkt

Sized for a 4" drop, can be redrilled for less drop if needed:
Old 01-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I have recently started carrying a bolt-on 2nd gen panhard drop bracket:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...anhardDropBrkt

Sized for a 4" drop, can be redrilled for less drop if needed:
I can vouch for it. I just put my bracket in from roger this past weekend and it is very stout. It will definately handle some punishment if needed and it worked out excellent with my lc coils.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

I know this is a old thread guys but I was still wondering which one would be better for the LC coils in the rear? I understand that the bar gives more articulation but is it really that much? I guess what I am asking is should I buy the drop bracket or the adjustable drop bar from Steve??? Please tell me why one is better than the other.

BTW. Mine is actually a 97 but I think it is the same as the 2nd gen.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

I have the 4crawler bracket. It works great with my cruiser coils. Everyonce in a while my driveshaft will scrape my gas tank skid, but it really is just enough to scrape the dirt off. That being said, I think there is a difference between the 2nd and third gen in this department.

Quick Reply: Panhard Rod drop bracket or Adjustable Panhard Rod?