Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Are New Toyota Trucks as Tough as Our 89-95's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would drop my 86 so fast it'd make your head spin if I could get into a Tacoma instead. I spent a few months driving a '10 2wd short bed for work and loved it. If I could afford a regular cab, short bed 4wd with the 4cyl and a 5 speed I would be driving one.

But... since I'm broke, a cheap ass and live in an RV, my '86 is just fine for me.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 PM

they have hilux diesels in mexico? damn that would be sweet to get my hands on one of those d4d's i wonder if u could get one here somehow the emissions can't be worse than a v8 ford diesel. if toyota brought d4d tacoma's to the u.s. they'd sell like hot cakes toyota is missing out on some big$$$.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Unhappy speedometer cable

I've been trying to post for the last hour but don't know how have a 91 Toyota sr5 at speedometer needle won't sit on zero whether running or not it sits about 4mph at 40 its actually going 35 and at 70 its actually going 60mph I'm new to the forums just joined about an hour ago thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peckinpah
Yeah, that's the thing about my '91, it's getting almost impossible to find any aftermarket stuff, and even the dealers don't stock a lot of the parts for my truck any more.
I don't see where anyone would have trouble finding parts for the 89-95 pickup. True the dealerships don't stock many parts because of the age, but I've never had a problem with them getting the parts. Not to mention the aftermarket support is incredible. WAY better than most other vehicles of that age out there. Look at engnbldr or LC Engineering or Wabfab or Budbuilt just to name a few. I almost bought a pickup from a dealership in Shenandoah Valley, Va that sells nothing but Toyota trucks....especially the older models.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by blacknight84
I've been trying to post for the last hour but don't know how have a 91 Toyota sr5 at speedometer needle won't sit on zero whether running or not it sits about 4mph at 40 its actually going 35 and at 70 its actually going 60mph I'm new to the forums just joined about an hour ago thanks
first off you my get a little better response if you posted this to the newbie tech section. just a heads up. how long have you owned the truck? sounds like someone did a little fooling around with your speedo.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peckinpah
I have been looking at new Tacomas, but am curious as to how reliable they are compared to our 89-95 Hiluxes. Some of the Consumer Reports-type reviews claim that the newer Tacomas are only of average reliability compared to other brands.

I find this hard to believe, since I would assume that Toyota engineers learned numerous lessons from various mechanical failures they saw on our trucks and made improvements.
I wouldn't put money down on engineers learning lessons. More and more newer engines are having more and more problems. The problem is that most car manufacturers are designing cars to last as long as they are 'expected' to last. Case in point: My grandmother had a transmission go out in her Cadillac and had it taken to the dealership. She bought it brand new with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. She always drove GM vehicles her whole life with little/no problem and told them she couldn't believe the transmission would go out with so few miles on the car. She was told by the service manager that the transmission was designed to last 50,000 miles because research showed that most people who bought that car brand new only kept it for about 40,000 miles and then traded it in for a new one. After that it was sold 'as-is' with no warranty to the next owner and they would have no way of knowing how poorly the car was treated. Her Cadillac was 6 years old with 48,000 miles on it.

It's a business. Why spend money developing something people aren't going to use? The manufacturer doesn't care if the transmission dies on the second or third owner. They already got their money from the person that bought it brand new and they can't sell you a new one if your old one still works just fine.

Look at the 22r(e) motor and how many people still swear by them and the aftermarket support they still have. Toyota hasn't put one in a truck for almost 18 years now. Or how about Chevy with the 4.3 V6 or the 350 V8 they used. They were incredible engines and they stopped using them. What engineer in their right mind would stop using such incredible engines as the three I just mentioned? Just because something is newer or different doesn't make it better. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by SPARKS89
I wouldn't put money down on engineers learning lessons. More and more newer engines are having more and more problems. The problem is that most car manufacturers are designing cars to last as long as they are 'expected' to last. Case in point: My grandmother had a transmission go out in her Cadillac and had it taken to the dealership. She bought it brand new with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. She always drove GM vehicles her whole life with little/no problem and told them she couldn't believe the transmission would go out with so few miles on the car. She was told by the service manager that the transmission was designed to last 50,000 miles because research showed that most people who bought that car brand new only kept it for about 40,000 miles and then traded it in for a new one. After that it was sold 'as-is' with no warranty to the next owner and they would have no way of knowing how poorly the car was treated. Her Cadillac was 6 years old with 48,000 miles on it.

It's a business. Why spend money developing something people aren't going to use? The manufacturer doesn't care if the transmission dies on the second or third owner. They already got their money from the person that bought it brand new and they can't sell you a new one if your old one still works just fine.

Look at the 22r(e) motor and how many people still swear by them and the aftermarket support they still have. Toyota hasn't put one in a truck for almost 18 years now. Or how about Chevy with the 4.3 V6 or the 350 V8 they used. They were incredible engines and they stopped using them. What engineer in their right mind would stop using such incredible engines as the three I just mentioned? Just because something is newer or different doesn't make it better. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
i agree, but not all new engines have gotten less reliable

and if they did that we would still be driving air cooled vw's with propane heaters and carburetors.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 AM

I have an 86 truck 22R and 86 4Runner 22RE. Rebuilt both of them and find them to be totally reliable. But than, I've replaced A LOT of stuff for improvement and because original was just worn out. Never have a problem with OEM parts, which I use because they are the best quality. Both vehicles have over 200K on the chassis, with rebuilt engines. I'm in the process of selling the truck, now that I've purchased a 2013 Access cab Tacoma. I going to try to replace the 86 truck with the Tacoma for hunting. So far, the Tacoma seems huge compared to the 86. I don't plan to baby the Tacoma and expect it to do the job off road. It will take some getting used. The 86 is pretty spartan, while the Tacoma bluetooth connects to my cell phone, and has air bags in every direction. The Tacoma also has more traction control buttons than you can imagine. Do I really need a backup TV camera? Hmmm. Time will tell on the durability issue. I've got 3 years 36,000 miles on Toyota's dime to find out.

Last edited by blaiwayw; 12-21-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 AM

I've got an 85 thats tough as can be... but I'm here to tell you that My '08 Tundra is just as tough and can take as much of a beating if not more than any of the old yoters. I've beat and beat and beat on that thing and it keeps coming back for more. I've had the Tundra everywhere, from up to the Toyota emblem in water, to running 70 down a washed out road, to tight trails that were probably too small for my '85 and it keeps ticking... The only part that I've managed to break (apart from knocking a tail light out when someon hit it with a fourwheeler) is one of the CV boots.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 AM

I had a 94 hilux 4x4 22r that never gave me a lick or trouble ever sold it with 180k on it. Replaced it with an 04 taco 4cyl 4x4 that really hasn't been bad, with regular maintenance it will soon turn 100K. Only issues so far are 02 sensor replacement and cel issues. I do miss the 94 still though, it really was a tight truck.