86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Here, New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Here, New Truck

Hey all, My name is Dave...just wanted to introduce myself and give you guys some info on my "new to me" 88 Longbed 4x4.

I picked it up this past Saturday. Nothing too special about it yet, but I love it. This is my 2nd Toyota. The other one (FJ80) is in my sig and I've included some pics of that below as well. I've been using the Land Cruiser for occasional wheeling, but wanted to retire that to the wife to use for everyday driving, hauling our 3 kids, the dog, etc...and work on this pickup for my wheeling rig.

It's in excellent shape mechanically. The previous owner replaced a lot of good stuff in the engine and it runs perfect...just shy of 185,000 miles on the ticker. Here's what has been done in the last few thousand miles:

New Timing Chain w/DOA Racing metal guides
New Water Pump, Oil Pump, Radiator, Belts, Hoses, Fan Clutch, Thermostat
NGK Wires, Plugs, Cap, Rotor, and TPS
New Valve Cover Gasket and Valve Adjustment
New Clutch, Pressure Plate, Throwout Bearing, Pilot Bearing, and Rear Main Seal
Amsoil Synthetic in Transmission and Transfer Case
Upgraded Marlin Crawler Shifter Bushings
3rd Generation bench seat added

The only problem it has is the fuel gauge drops to empty when it gets to about half tank...but the low fuel light still comes on when it needs gas...so I'm not even going to make that a top priority for fixing.

Next week I'm putting on the Toytec 2" lift, AllPro u-bolt flip kit and rear shock mounts...all of which have been sitting patiently in a box awaiting the install day. Regearing will come soon and will be running 33x10.50s. I've removed the obnoxiously big rear step bumper and cheap u-haul trailer hitch leaving just the rollpan for now. Will be getting a Marlin rear tube bumper as well as a Marlin front tube bumper, and WabFab sliders at some point over the next few months. Should fit the bill for me nicely.

Here are some pics. I'll put up some more tomorrow of the tinkering I've done with pieces and parts over the last couple of days.

A couple shots of my FJ80:

Old 01-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

welcome to Y/T. like you i just bought me a truck, after searching for four months. 89 xtra cab, blue like yours. did you buy it off a lot? your motor looks reallllllly clean. just regeared mine w/4:88's and aussie lockers front and rear, thanks to ZUK(the mind reader) i put the 63" chevy springs on as well. enjoy your truck.

i'll give a couple of bucks and a case of beer, and maybe an ounce of weed for you FJ
Old 01-07-2008, 04:03 PM

That's an interesting offer for the FJ Thanks for the welcome!

Not from a lot, got it from a friend in our off road club. The engine was pretty well degreased and cleaned up after all the work was done...it does look real nice in there and I was impressed. Lots of new parts (hoses, wires, etc...) help out appearances alot.

Here's some more pictures of today's activity of removing the rear bumper and hitch, and the end result. I love the way it looks without that huge "trail disaster waiting to happen" on the back end

I forgot to add that I'd also like to lock mine...at least in the rear for starters...but eventually up front as well. Can't beat the price on some of these lockers available for these Yotas. I'll plan to throw a locker in the rear while the 4.88s are being done.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

i was going to take my bumper off, but the last time i took my bumper off the 4runner i backed into a tree. yes, i was very, very, ahhhh. mad so this one stays on till i get the tube bender.

let me know if you change your mind about the FJ, maybe hash is more your style..
Old 01-07-2008, 04:13 PM

I'll keep that in mind about the FJ

I've been to Amsterdam twice, so keep that in mind. I need some STRONG stuff to keep me happy now
Old 01-08-2008, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my truck as well. Do you know who did the bedliner? It looks good. Getting some sort of spray-in type bedliner is first on my list when spring arrives.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 AM

The bedliner was done by Line-X of Virginia. Any local Line-X dealer in your area can do it though. It's great stuff. I used Herculiner on the FJ80 exterior in the pictures...but I think both are equally good products.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 AM

Here's a couple more quick shots, and the Pioneer stereo I had that I added to the truck. Need my iPod connection for commuting, so it works out great.

I'll have updated pics after this weekend when the lift is done.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:52 PM

Got the lift done yesterday. The ball joint spacers were a pain in the a$$...but other than that it all worked out great. Here a pic of the finished product along with the 33x10.50s I took off the Land Cruiser and swapped onto the pickup.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM

looks real good dude!!!

Your Cruiser is sweet too!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 AM

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:14 AM

Nice Truck! Now go to www.budbuilt.com and get at least a front skid plate and new crossmember. I think he still has deals on fully belly skids (3 piece kit). I have an 89 and got the full skids for 525 bucks.

Maybe I missed it, but, how many miles are on that new rig of yours?

Originally Posted by DCYota
Got the lift done yesterday. The ball joint spacers were a pain in the a$$...but other than that it all worked out great. Here a pic of the finished product along with the 33x10.50s I took off the Land Cruiser and swapped onto the pickup.

Last edited by Trail_Banger; 01-15-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
My kids are waiting for the bus (2 hrs late due to some ice) but anyway, I was proud when my daughter said that you have got a cool Land Cruiser....just glad she is learning .

Both of your truck are nice..
Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Thanks guys. The truck has 184,000 miles on it....runs great because of all the recent work. I couldn't be happier. Looks like I'm averaging about 18mpg right now. Will be a little less than that now that the 33s are on, but coming from driving the Land Cruiser daily and it getting maybe 10mpg, I'll take it!

The Bud Built stuff will be ordered within the next few weeks. I had planned to get the belly pan, crossmember, and front skid....I agree that it's necessary for wheeling these trucks..especially with that nasty crossmember and skid just hanging down there waiting to be destroyed and really offering no real protection.

And OC....Tell your daughter thanks for me!!! She's got good taste!!!