86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help finding source of oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help finding source of oil leak

First off, '93 xtra cab 4wd, 22re 5 speed with approx 146,000 miles. I started seeing oil in garage back in January, few drops at first but now loosing about 1/2 quart a week. Oil appears to be coming from somewhere on the back side of the motor on the passenger side up high. First thought was valve cover gasket and half-moons. I changed those, didn't help at all. I've tried looking with mirror and flashlight, you name it. Oil is definitely on top of the tranny housing and all around the top of the starter. Basically the passenger side is covered. Drivers side is clean. The tranny was out in November for a new clutch, no oil leaks at that time or for the 1 1/2 months after. Would the rear main being bad localize oil on the passenger side like that? I'm a computer nerd by trade, so forgive my automobile diagnostic ignorance. Weather hasn't exacly cooperated with me on this either, but we're supposed to have a nice stretch of sunshine this week. Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited by pokey; 03-19-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by pokey
First off, '93 xtra cab 4wd, 22re 5 speed with approx 146,000 miles. I started seeing oil in garage back in January, few drops at first but now loosing about 1/2 quart a week. Oil appears to be coming from somewhere on the back side of the motor on the passenger side up high. First thought was valve cover gasket and half-moons. I changed those, didn't help at all. I've tried looking with mirror and flashlight, you name it. Oil is definitely on top of the tranny housing and all around the top of the starter. Basically the passenger side is covered. Drivers side is clean. The tranny was out in November for a new clutch, no oil leaks at that time or for the 1 1/2 months after. Would the rear main being bad localize oil on the passenger side like that? I'm a computer nerd by trade, so forgive my automobile diagnostic ignorance. Weather hasn't exacly coorperated with me on this either, but we're supposed to have a nice stretch of sunshine this week. Any insight is appreciated.
If it's high around head, could be head gaskets. I know it's unusual, but blown head gaskets don't have to leak coolant to be blown.

Reason I say this, mine did the same thing. First set was blown and leaking coolant internally, second set was blown and leaking oil externally.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by JEBSR5
If it's high around head, could be head gaskets. I know it's unusual, but blown head gaskets don't have to leak coolant to be blown.

Reason I say this, mine did the same thing. First set was blown and leaking coolant internally, second set was blown and leaking oil externally.
Never would have considered the head gasket, but that's why I asked the question on here, thanks. Did you have any other symptoms aside from the oil leak? I'm not seeing any loss of power, actually the motor seems to be running as strong as it ever has.

Anybody else have any ideas? I can try to get some pics if anyone thinks that'll help, but it's goning to be tight getting in there.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:46 PM

The same thing happened on my 87 P/U, paid a garage a few hundred to fix the leak and they replaced many things but no luck. Two months later I find out its the head gasket. I also had no heat the whole time, do you?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by jaysTOY
The same thing happened on my 87 P/U, paid a garage a few hundred to fix the leak and they replaced many things but no luck. Two months later I find out its the head gasket. I also had no heat the whole time, do you?
Thanks for the reply. Heat works pretty well after waiting for the initial warmup. Oil has always looked good, yet another reason I would never have thought head gasket. The location seems right as well, it's just so hard to see in there. If the EFI and firewall weren't in the way, I'd be able to spot it right away. Either way, looks like I need to get the 4runner back together and running so I can take the pickup apart.

Keep 'em coming, who else thinks a possible head gasket issue?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by pokey
Never would have considered the head gasket, but that's why I asked the question on here, thanks. Did you have any other symptoms aside from the oil leak? I'm not seeing any loss of power, actually the motor seems to be running as strong as it ever has.

Anybody else have any ideas? I can try to get some pics if anyone thinks that'll help, but it's goning to be tight getting in there.
No symptoms other than oil leak. Ran good the whole time. If I were you, I would clean the area as thorough as possible and monitor it in order to try to pin it down. I've heard people say sprinkle baby powder in the area after cleaning to show oil tracks to pin it down. This way you can rule out valve covers, etc.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
My bet is on the block-off plate behind the head that passes coolant, oil, and EGR gasses.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by JEBSR5
No symptoms other than oil leak. Ran good the whole time. If I were you, I would clean the area as thorough as possible and monitor it in order to try to pin it down. I've heard people say sprinkle baby powder in the area after cleaning to show oil tracks to pin it down. This way you can rule out valve covers, etc.
The leak is definitely below the valve cover. I replaced the valve cover gasket and that area is staying clean when I feel around back there. The baby powder thing sounds like a good idea to check where the trails originate from. I'll have to try that tonight. This thing is a DD so it'll be this weekend before I can even think about taking anything substantial apart to actually see back there. In the meantime, it'll keep marking it's territory and I'll keep adding oil as needed. Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by 84sr5yoty
My bet is on the block-off plate behind the head that passes coolant, oil, and EGR gasses.
I had previously looked in the FSM under the oil system and nothing jumped out at me. Where would this back-off plate be listed (system) or rather what does it look like? Might sound like a dumb question, but I'm a computer guy, not a mechanic. Visuals really help. Could I see it without contorting and using mirrors or whatnot? I'm thinking if I pull the EFI stuff off this weekend that it'll allow me unrestricted access to the area I'm talking about (below valve cover but above starter). I'm going to try the baby powder trick first though. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's another tip you could try instead of baby powder, and might be cleaner than getting it more gunked up. Take a white piece of paper, and while the engines running, hold it in various positions around the block, valve cover, and cylinder head to block mating line. Although my leak was the valve cover. Oil will spit on the paper and bingo, there's your leak. I couldn't find it forever, and even though it was a minor leak, oil was everywhere on the passenger side.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Here is a picture of it on the following link. Scroll down to post #83

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=88722&page=4

I don't know if it's accessible to remove and replace the gasket without pulling the head if it is indeed the leak.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by 84sr5yoty
Here is a picture of it on the following link. Scroll down to post #83

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=88722&page=4

I don't know if it's accessible to remove and replace the gasket without pulling the head if it is indeed the leak.
Thanks, that pic makes all the difference in the world. I did some searches yesterday for the head gasket replacement, but didn't know what I was looking for in regards to the plate. I really wish the leak had started before I changed the clutch. Would have made it so much easier to see. From the pics, my impression was pull the head to fix if that's my problem. I wonder if some high temp sealant would provide a short term bandaid fix?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:44 AM

After hosing the motor down with Super Clean, it doesn't look good. Looks like the oil is definitely coming from where the block and head meet. Not exactly the news I wanted. Guess I'll pull the valve cover and check the torque on the headbolts...probably a stretch that that would cure the leak, but I can't really pull the head to do the head gasket just yet.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just a thought, not saying that is not where your leak is comming from, but when my FMS (front main seal) behind the timming pulley went. The fan sprayed the entire pass side of my motor with oil includding all the way back to the tranny. I didn't find it until my fan belt broke and I saw drips comming from behind the pulley.