Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

name that symptom: 91 22re, 5spd 215K

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
name that symptom: 91 22re, 5spd 215K

I've got a 91 22re, 5spd 215K
new plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Been timed, TPS in range, new O2 sensor, though I wonder if the wire is intact

1) Imagine you are in first gear at 2500 rpms, and you let off the throttle, does your truck do:
A) coast like a dream
b) bog down, and begin to slow, much like you would expect if you were 'engine braking.'
c) something else?

Mine does B. Normal?

2) Imagine in 2nd gear, 2000 rpms, with just a nice even bit of throttle to maintain that 2000 rpm.
A) does your truck glide, quiet and smooth,
B) does it glide for about 2 seconds and then bog down, a light version of engine braking
C) or something else?

Again, mine does B.

I don't if this is normal and if not, what could be causing it.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 PM

It seems like what you are describing it normal. My 22RE 5spd does the same. The resistance cause by the engine will not let it 'glide or coast', unless you put it into neutral. There are a lot of things in play here, like incline, gearing changes, etc.

What do you mean by 'bogging down'? If you are in 1st gear at 2500 and you suddenly let of the gas you are going to get a decent amount of resistance until you gas up, shift or let the engine die. In second gear the resistance wont be as great, but you will slow down, you wont coast or glide by any means.

You could sort of call it engine braking (although true engine brakes are a result of controlling the exhaust valves). The resistance of the gearing and engine is slowing the truck down and that is normal.

I think you're fine. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 PM

sounds normal to me for a 22re with 215k.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1 - b is normal - it shows that the tps is grounding IDL to E2 as it should.

I'm a bit unclear on the behavior in 2 - are you saying that with the throttle in a fixed position the motor all of a sudden lags? No, if I'm understanding you correctly that probably isn't normal. It sounds like some sensor reading may be changing, or possibly some other condition affecting the ecu.

First, have you checked for codes? Do that if you haven't. If no codes, I would carefully look at the progression of resistance in VTA in the tps - making sure it smoothly rises and falls as throttle is slowly opened & closed, with no spikes or dropouts. Likewise, check VS in the air meter - it should change "in a wave pattern" - in other words up-down-up etc. but smoothly, with no sudden spikes or dropouts of resistance.

If those check out, I would suspect a poor ground, maybe intermittent. Also I've heard of EFI Main Relays going intermittent and sporadically interrupting power to the ecu, which would cut off injector firing. Make sure ecu terminal E1 has a good connection to chassis ground, E01 and E02 have a good connection to the engine, and clean up the igniter ground (mounting bolts).

Another possibility is failing fuel pump or possibly failing coil. You can check the resistance of both circuits of the coil - make sure to disconnect it first. For the fuel pump, you would need to have a fuel pressure and volume test.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Also check your bearings and your brakes, if they are dirty and your drums are full of brake dust and dragging your not going to coast as much. Mine coasts pretty well but I re-greased my bearings and cleaned my drums and have changed my diff fluids.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 AM

Engine Brake

No matter what your driving, gas motors will begin working against themselves creating resistance when no throttle is being applied. The symptoms you are describing sound completely normal.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wetwoodchuck
No matter what your driving, gas motors will begin working against themselves creating resistance when no throttle is being applied. The symptoms you are describing sound completely normal.
In his second scenario, it sounds like he's keeping pressure on the throttle, not "no throttle being applied", when it bogs. And if that's true, it's not normal, is it?

Hey briholt, how about confirming - does the motor bog while you're keeping steady pressure on the gas pedal?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by rebelrunner
sounds normal to me for a 22re with 215k.
I forgot to add that the engine only has about 70k.

Thanks for your posts. I'll try to explain more clearly when I bet to my computer. Phones aren't as easy to text with.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by sb5walker
1 - b is normal - it shows that the tps is grounding IDL to E2 as it should.

I'm a bit unclear on the behavior in 2 - are you saying that with the throttle in a fixed position the motor all of a sudden lags? No, if I'm understanding you correctly that probably isn't normal. It sounds like some sensor reading may be changing, or possibly some other condition affecting the ecu.

That's exactly what happened. I'm driving in 2nd gear, just barely enough throttle to maintain 2K rpm on flat ground, all is well, and then a sudden lag, enough to shake the coffee in your cup out of the cup.

First, have you checked for codes? Do that if you haven't.
I can't because the bulb in my dash is out. I just haven't had the time to pulll it all apart to replace it.

If no codes, I would carefully look at the progression of resistance in VTA in the tps - making sure it smoothly rises and falls as throttle is slowly opened & closed, with no spikes or dropouts. Likewise, check VS in the air meter - it should change "in a wave pattern" - in other words up-down-up etc. but smoothly, with no sudden spikes or dropouts of resistance.
This is very helpful. I'll check them again. I've been recording my readings for the year, and they are: My MAF and TPS Readings

If those check out, I would suspect a poor ground, maybe intermittent. Also I've heard of EFI Main Relays going intermittent and sporadically interrupting power to the ecu, which would cut off injector firing. Make sure ecu terminal E1 has a good connection to chassis ground, E01 and E02 have a good connection to the engine, and clean up the igniter ground (mounting bolts).

Another possibility is failing fuel pump or possibly failing coil. You can check the resistance of both circuits of the coil - make sure to disconnect it first. For the fuel pump, you would need to have a fuel pressure and volume test.

Good luck.
Thanks for these ideas. This are very helpful!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by wetwoodchuck

I don't think so. I've driven a truck like this before, and it just seems way too tight. I suspect some issues described up above...
Old 05-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by sb5walker
In his second scenario, it sounds like he's keeping pressure on the throttle, not "no throttle being applied", when it bogs. And if that's true, it's not normal, is it?

Hey briholt, how about confirming - does the motor bog while you're keeping steady pressure on the gas pedal?
Exactly.

I never noticed it before, and so for the longest time I thought that I had a really tight engine and that any 'bogging' was simply engine braking because I took my foot of the throttle.

But last night I noticed that I didn't let off the throttle and it just bogged.