86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my new lift!! (rear shackle how to)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my new lift!! (rear shackle how to)

well i did go and do it thanks all to lftd_86_yota he helped me outy and gave me the part numbers and everything

where autozone
cost 14.99
time 3 hours
fun fun you see

ok so here it goes i was sick and tired of the rear being low and her looking like a old beater so i got ahold of lftd_86_yota and he pointed me in the right path!!

heres before and after just so you can see how much it lifted the rear end!

and after now

taken in the same spot on the ground look at my moms driver side mirror and my back up light

heres the tools needed to do

floor jack, bricks or something like that, 19mm wrench and or socket, PB BLASTER and lots off it, pry bars, hammer (bfg) breaker bar, and the kit

the kit sells for 14.99 at AUTOZONE heres the kit and it comes with the rear shackles both sides and the bolts needed to install

part numbers DONT MATCH this number comes up as a tie rod end but they will still find it for ya

heres a picture of everything you will need

first you spary all 4 bolts down real good and wait a few days still spraying or if your like me then spray and crank you must jack the trucks butt up and get the rear tires off the ground and start turning the 19mm bolts get them off and then you start hammering away at the bolts the shackle is infact one peace so the inside will come off after the bolts but the outside with the bolts will be one peace just hammer top a few times then the bottom a few times and repeat will take a wile then you take a jack place it like this

BE VERY CAREFUL you must do this to get the rear of the leaf to come down to the new bolt hole then you just slide the bolt in and let the jack out

and then go to the other side if you have any questions pm me or add to this!! now for all the pictures i took and boy the ride is way differnt feels like im falling off the front of her now

before the lift

♠after the lift

jacked up on my home made bumper

and if you think she wont flex anymore ha ha take a look again

the before and after pisctures are the truck sitting on the floor and NOT jacked up look at them and you will see light between the jack and bumper thanks for looking and thanks a million to lftd_86_yota goood job on the find buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
looks good buddy... i just wonder how hard it would be to twist those lengthened shackles... i mean, they look pretty beefy, but they are awefully long...

and did that rear axel used to be all yellow??? hard to tell now... lol...
Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And you talk'd smack to me 'bout my spacers!!!!! So that what, gave ya 2"-3" or 3"-4" lift in the back? In the pic be4 your poser flex shots, it still looks like your saggin. And ya should take some pics in the daylight, the night pics aren't doing a whole lotta justice.....

Last edited by a4runnerfreak; 09-02-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 PM

yeah it is a dead smilley lol two X's and a frown face! lol
Old 09-03-2008, 03:26 AM

You should brace those shackles in the center with some steel before they twist or snap while wheeling.

Also something else to consider fabing up would be a set of flex shackles. I recall JT Outfitters (which started as a FJ40 speciality shop) sold a lot of their "Hyper shackles". Their site was out of stock but here is a guy who had them installed. You could fab them so you have a higher than normal ride high but then extended another 2 inches when your wheel drops in a hole to keep ground contact....just a thought. But your ride height does look better.

It looks like the one on the center side of the left is already starting to bend.

Originally Posted by just a 22re

Last edited by wardriver; 09-03-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:42 AM

I smell snappage in the future...but frankly, wadda I know?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:32 AM

I know there is snapage in the future...and it wont even take much.

I bought the same exact kit from my local Advance auto I drilled an extra hole thru the center to brace it. And even with that there was too much space and in some light wheelin my LR snapped leavin me to have to un hook the right side and chaining my rear springs to the frame rails and limping home.

My permenent fix...an inexpensive add a leaf kit from Rough Country.

I also bought a set of stock replacement spring packs from JC Whitney for 120 bucks a side. To go with that I bought a set of 1 1/2 lift gresable shackles from daystar. Those were installed with the add a leaf kit at a later date. I.E. I put the add a leaf kit in the stock spring set till i got the new parts a few weeks later. Then added the add a leaf kit the the new stuff upon installation.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/ALLOY-STEEL...3409_10101.jcw

http://www.jcwhitney.com/ROUGH-COUNT...3409_10101.jcw

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/W_shackles_Toyota.HTM

all together I got about 4 inches of lift and by the time everything settled a little over 3. And its a far more reliable set up than those shackles you installed.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:46 AM

The ideal shackle lift is to get your lift out of both sids. Cut off the front shackle and fab a taller one and then put a taller one on the back. If you split the difference between the two you can achieve the same lift as you would by putting a rear shackle twice as long.(ie +4 inch rear shackle= +2inch front and +2in rear). The longer rear shackle is definitely more prone to twist. If you can't weld I would even take a block of hardwood and lag bolt it inbetween to give it some tortional strength
Old 09-03-2008, 07:13 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
HI Allen-
For 16 bucks you can't beat that with a stick. But I see the overload leaf is still resting against the rest of the pack....that means your ride is rough but it's probably been that way since you've owned the truck and you never really ever noticed it.
If you get tired of that stiff ride and maybe the poor pinion angle that has caused a slight vibration at speed?....then think about this option in the future.
ZUK
http://gearinstalls.com/russell.htm
http://gearinstalls.com/stephen.htm
http://gearinstalls.com/miked.htm
http://gearinstalls.com/saggyrear.htm

Last edited by ZUK; 09-03-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:41 AM

yeah coils not to bad would have been fun to and as for wheeling theres not much here in milwaukee and there just there as a untill i get my sas and rear leaf packs so i just wanted to get it back to stock for real cheap and i did so i dont do much wheeling but i will be watching out on them though and they are very beefy they weight about 3-5 pounds a peace and are really strong steel as for the one bending already thats the way the kit came the two on the inside have the slight bend to make it fit all in all i like the kit and i twised her really good in the pictures but like i said i will keep an eye on them thanks alot guys
Old 09-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, it looks good. But I still don't trust them though. They look real weak.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:58 AM

ya u just wouldnt trust them its a cheap and easy fix but all i would be thinking while wheeling is "hmmm i wonder if there bent yet "
Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Zuk's set up is really great, Allan. I have done it to my '86 with some Jeep coils he sold me. Even after tons of weight, the springs do not sag. Could use some retainers to keep the coils from shifting around during flex, but I don't really wheel and therefore droop the suspension much. So, a non-issue for the moment.

The springs he sold me are wider than what's shown in the links, so 31's on stock 6" steelies with stock backspacing rub. But, the 31's work on stock 7"rs.

Anyway, regardless of the little details, the coils work much better than longer shackles functionally and give a better ride. Definitely consider it for the future if the new shackles don't work out.

Ken........I have not forgotten the pics!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man Zuk that looks killer! Could something like that be done on an 86 pickup or is there not enough weight in the back end to justify coils?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Man Zuk that looks killer! Could something like that be done on an 86 pickup or is there not enough weight in the back end to justify coils?
Yes, it could be done just as easily on a pick-up version and it has been done on a couple of them in this link....
http://gearinstalls.com/dc.htm

Pick-ups generally don't seem to sag as much as the Runners....but it's still a cool way to add lift or payload to the rear of pick-ups.

By the way, what's the distance between the bottom of the frame and top of the leafpack in your case? 9"? 10"?

ZUK

Last edited by ZUK; 09-03-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:30 PM

stock everything to the bump stop was 4-5 in and now there at around 10-11in i think
Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM

wow! and to think of all the money i wasted replacing my rear springs.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ZUK

By the way, what's the distance between the bottom of the frame and top of the leafpack in your case? 9"? 10"?

ZUK

If you were asking me I just measured and its right at 9 inches right behind where the U bolts are and about the same in front of them.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:03 PM

i saw some shackles before that had a hinge on them and they twisted like up and down normal but then twisted so the pack can move around you know
Old 09-03-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
ok .. I'll say it ...

YIKES ... wrong O .. minimum take them up 2 notches to the lowest setting .. then weld in a cross bar

something like this ..

that is dangerous , and just WRONG ..

Quick Reply: my new lift!! (rear shackle how to)