Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

moving timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
moving timing chain

can someone explain to me in laymans terms on how to move the timing chain one tooth thank you its a 22rtec 1986 single chain
Old 02-10-2007, 06:17 PM

please
Old 02-11-2007, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well why would you want to do this? It will not run if you move it off the one that it should be on. Also, if you screw around and are wrong you will end up with a smashed valve as these are interferance engines.
But if you must the easies way would be to take the valve cover off, pull the distributor, Undue the cam gear, pull it off then pull the gear with the chain off the cam. Move the chain, and put it back on. You may have to rock the crank a bit to get the gear back on.
I would be very worried if you have to do this. Goodbye head if you screw it up..........
Old 02-11-2007, 12:52 PM

AGREE very nicely put
Old 02-11-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remove the valve cover

Turn the engine by hand to TDC #1.

With the crankshaft indicator right on tdc, observe the position of your camshaft sprocket.

There is a timing mark on the sprocket and if you look closely you will see that it is just to the left (as you are looking at it) of where the dowel on the distributor drive gear. This dowel should be straight up with the sprocket mark slightly left (as you are looking at it) If this is the way that it is oriented then leave it alone.

It is possible to take the sprocket loose and realign the sprocket and then while holding the gear you can move the engine to get it back on the cam. A good deal of upward pressure must be used to defeat the tensioner.

However as was mentioned before this is an interference engine and if you get it wrong it will be bending valves.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:05 AM

it's tough but you can do it

I had to do this with mine the p/o put the timing chain on and got it one tooth off it was a pain in the ass to try and just keep it running for a couple of months until i gave up and decided to do this:

pull the valve cover off and the intake hose out.
put your motor on top dead center
look at the cam gear decide if it needs to be turned counter clockwise or clockwise
remove the distributor making note that the rotor is pointed at the #1 plug wire(if you are standing in front of the truck it should be pointed aprox. at your face)
I used a couple of screw drivers stuck through the gear to hold it up out of the timing cover(if it falls you get to take the whole thing apart)
the whole time you are doing this keep the chain tight (or you get to take the whole thing apart)
I used a piece of flat metal about 1/8" thick and cleaned it really well then stuck it down into the timing cover and pushed in the tensioner to release the tension on the chain and give me the needed slack to slowly move the chain one link at a time around the gear.
keep the tension off while you slide the gear back on (it's really tough with only two hands but you can do it)
CHECK EVERYTHING: TDC cam position, dist position
at this time you can button it up
CHECK EVERYTHING and
start it with a timing light on it to check your work
if all goes well it will be running much more smoothly and quietly

hope this helps
it took me about 3 hours (i was beeing very careful)
good luck
Old 02-12-2007, 04:43 AM

the sprocket has a hole as a mark but when it is at tdc with the bright link it is slighty to the right not straight up an down. As you can read in another post we cant time the motor it is at 10 degrees advanced?????
Old 02-12-2007, 05:08 AM

If that is your problem, Can't time your ignition, That has nothing to do with your cam. Pull your distributor out and move it one tooth.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:00 AM

I was off one tooth on the distributer when putting mine back together following Hayne's way of doing it. The damn thing wouldn't idle unless I was giving it gas. There was no way I could time it. I used 4Crawler's advice and set the number one cylinder to tdc and then removed the distributer and aligned the rotor to 12 oclock before inserting it. It will rotate counter clockwise and get you close enough to idle. Then set your timing.

Rob
Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tom renzoni
the sprocket has a hole as a mark but when it is at tdc with the bright link it is slighty to the right not straight up an down. As you can read in another post we cant time the motor it is at 10 degrees advanced?????
Should be set up like this:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
Old 02-12-2007, 09:08 AM

Remember you TPS must be adjusted properly and the connector jumpered. Your cam is not the problem. Your timing light has no idea where the cam is. It just tells you when number 1 is firing according to your distributor location. If your cam is off you can still get 0 degrees on your light it will just run like crap because your valves will be open at the wrong (valve) timing. Sounds to me like your TPS is not right. At TDC on the crank your rotor should be pointing at the clip that holds the plug for the distributor. Make sure your light is connected to Number 1 cylinder. The only thing that effects your ignition timing is the placement of the distributor in relation to the crank, your cam just turns the distributor but has no bearing on ignition timing.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:35 AM

im talking about the bright link and the sprocket is to the right a little not to the left. If i move a tooth on the distrib it wont start ill post a pix very soon
Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 AM

So you're bright link is lined up with the bumps on the cam sprocket? Or it's to the right of them?

Rob
Old 02-12-2007, 12:31 PM

bright links are straddling dot on sproket
Old 02-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Tom, it sounds like the bright links are correct.. That being said, I hate depending on them (and don't) - set it to TDC, sprocket mark should be between 11-12 o'clock.

Please post photos.

If you can't bring your timing in to spec when the distributor is tied down, you need to adjust the distributor, not the cam sprocket.

Get it on TDC and the cam lined up right. When you put in the distributor, have it point to #1. To further narrow it down, look inside the distributor and notice the inductive pickup. One of the 4 "prongs" at the base of the distributor shaft should be just past the pickup.. It's critical that the distributor is installed so that the adjustment range lines the prong up with the pickup.. Post a photo of this too at TDC with the cam gear alligned.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:57 PM

I think I get what you're saying. It sounds like when you installed your cam the sprocket dowell was closer to 1 oclock than 11 oclock. Is this correct? So when you put the chain on, the bright link is also now closer to 1 oclock?

So instead of this at tdc:

You have this:

Am I right?

Rob

Last edited by rdlsz24; 02-12-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:54 PM

yes you are dead right thats what it looks like !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:52 PM

is it ok ?????
Old 02-13-2007, 03:15 AM

to the top
Old 02-13-2007, 06:17 AM

Mine would have been like that if I had installed the chain after getting back my head from the machine shop. So I turned the cam so that the dowel was at 12 oclock before installing the chain. I'm not sure if not having it at 12 affects how it runs or not.

To give it a shot, set to TDC and remove the cam chain and sprocket as one piece. Now separate them. Use some wire to attach your chain to the underside of the hood so it doesn't fall down into your oil pan and cause a hassle. Now that you have the sprocket by itself, put it back on the cam (don't use bolt; dowell will hold it in place good enough), and use it to turn the cam slightly by hand so that the dowel is at 12 oclock. You might be able to turn the cam without the sprocket, but I couldn't, so that is why I say use the sprocket. Now put everything back together, and your bright links will be at 12.

I stress to be extra careful when taking the timing chain off the cam so you don't drop it down into the oil pan and have to take it all apart. It is a real pain in the ass.

Rob

Last edited by rdlsz24; 02-13-2007 at 06:24 AM.

Quick Reply: moving timing chain