Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mounting point for aux. Trans cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting point for aux. Trans cooler?

So I've got a hayden 16"x8"x1" auxiliary trans cooler begging to be installed.

Any suggestions as to location? I found there's squat for room in front of the radiator, and my concern is if I mount it next to the tranny by the frame it'll get coated with mud/dirt and be useless.

I'm getting that lovely AT Oil temp light when doing 65+ on the interstate with 31" tires and 5.29's on my 3.slow.

I was thinking spare tire area (after yanking out the useless spare) but I'd have to run lines ALL that way from the radiator part all the way back to the back of the rig.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

check out robinhood150, member, he has detailed an installation behind the front skid. that is where i installed mine and has worked flawlessly both on and off road.

lee
Old 05-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

It can be done behind the grill if you have some patience and some time.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/transmission-cooler-mounted-behind-grill-pics-86774/
Old 05-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

with my Warn bumper, there's not enough room for a cooler of this size to fit there, and as for the front skid plate, you wouldn't believe the dirt I get in there, also the fact that I'll be going SAS.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chimmike
with my Warn bumper, there's not enough room for a cooler of this size to fit there, and as for the front skid plate, you wouldn't believe the dirt I get in there, also the fact that I'll be going SAS.
I dunno where to put it.. As suggested, the best place is somewhere behind the grill. If it's too large, I'd suggest downsizing over hanging it out somewhere that it doesn't belong.

I'm having the same issue with an intercooler. No room - no way to fit behind the grill. You have to put the thing in the path of some air flow for it to be most effective. I'll probably end up doing another custom bumper that incorporates it...

Does the auto tranny really get that hot? I thought the V6 had a transmission cooler built into the lower section of the radiator?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, the stock cooler is for shat. larger tires and/or gearing makes it throw the at oil temp light with ease. I was doin 60mph and threw the ˟˟˟˟˟˟˟ light, with the a/c on, flat FL!

I'm draining the fluid and changing the filter this weekend and gonna mount this cooler SOMEWHERE. Even if I have to build some ducting of some sort with aluminum. And I'll probably order some small 200cfm fan that I can just switch on during interstate driving for even better airflow.

I know the dilemma about fitting an intercooler, lol.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Does the warn bumper slide far behind the grill? Also, what rpms are you at going 60mph with 31's and 5.29's? If you are getting a temp light on for that, I think the cooler may just be a bandaid to a bigger problem. It will help but it sounds like you have something else going on. Is it actually going into OD? I also agree with what another poster said, getting a slightly smaller one that fits in a great spot will do better than a massive one in a place with no airflow. ONe of the reasons for the front of the grill is because in 4lo, your fan will be pulling air through it whereas somewhere else you aren't getting much cooling at a couple miles an hour.

Last edited by slosurfer; 05-01-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

it's running about 2900-3krpm at 60-65mph, yes it does go into overdrive. The Warn bumper almost completely slides under the grille.

If I have to mount it in a place that won't get direct airflow, I'll likely throw on a specific trans cooler fan.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Humm. Any ideas?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i tried and tried to get mine behind the grill like slosurfer but couldnt make it fit so i moved down to the vallance.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by snap-on
i tried and tried to get mine behind the grill like slosurfer but couldnt make it fit so i moved down to the vallance.

yeah, see, I don't have that anymore. Stock bumper was thrown away months ago.....the Warn bumper kinda throws a rock in the gears so to speak. Oh well, I may just hack a big portion out of the grille if I can somehow make it fit like that.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

That is a big cooler, you might be able to mount it between the radiator and AC condensor, but you'd have to R&R the radiator to do it. Sometimes it's easier to mount 2 small ones rather than one big one.

I have a feeling though, with the cooler, you're just going to mask some under lying problem. The AT temp light doesn't come on until the ATF gets over 300 deg F and the stock radiator cooler should keep it below that easy. After 100,000 miles without an extra cooler (half of that with 33s) my AT temp light never came on. Might check the flow to the radiator cooler to see if it's good.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-02-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
That is a big cooler, you might be able to mount it between the radiator and AC condensor, but you'd have to R&R the radiator to do it. Sometimes it's easier to mount 2 small ones rather than one big one.

I have a feeling though, with the cooler, you're just going to mask some under lying problem. The AT temp light doesn't come on until the ATF gets over 300 deg F and the stock radiator cooler should keep it below that easy. After 100,000 miles without an extra cooler (half of that with 33s) my AT temp light never came on. Might check the flow to the radiator cooler to see if it's good.

heavier vehicle (4runner) + 5.29 gears+ 31" tires+ warn bumper and winch preventing more airflow to radiator (and therefore trans cooler) + high humidity and temps in FL + no a/c (extra fan) = A/T oil temp light. lol.

I'm almost tempted to bypass the stock cooler itself and use this one and maybe another one, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

You say 5.29 gears + 31 inch tires like that'a a bad thing, that's an ideal set-up IMHO. That should run nice and cool.

Now the bumper and winch is bad, I'm finding that out now myself.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-02-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

well my point was that they're higher making me run higher rpm at speed, = hotter= higher trans temps
Old 05-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

well my point was that they're higher making me run higher rpm at speed, = hotter= higher trans temps
Hmmmm, not sure I agree with that, but I'm lacking test data to prove otherwise.

As far as mounting behind the AC condensor, mine just bearly fit in there:

If you go to the rear, like spare tire carrier spot you mentioned, I'd definately bypass the front stock cooler just to cut down on all the piping and pressure drop.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

My big concern with the rear is it won't get enough airflow, then again I can run two in parallel back there with room to spare for a fan or something. That and it might get completely caked with mud...........
Old 05-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

If your overdrive is working correctly, it still shouldn't get that hot. When I am loaded with camping gear, 33's, towing my trailer, 90*+ outside, and I am really cruising on a flat highway at those rpms, I just run a slightly higher temp than normal. I am thinking you may have something up with your lockup.

Also, if you are willing to trim the back of your grill like I did, you could also get out the grinder and clearance your bumper slightly to make it fit. Just a thought, I would have to be pretty sure about the placement before I cut my bumper though. The nice thing, is all the cuts are hidden if done right. ONe with a dedicated fan would be cool also if you could find a place that didn't get too muddy. I know, get four little ones and mount them over your vents inside, when the temp starts to get too high just blast your fan on high for awhile.

Last edited by slosurfer; 05-02-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

heavier vehicle (4runner) no a/c (extra fan) .
Do you meen that you were not using a/c or that you don't have a/c?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

At first I wasn't using a/c, so only the main fan was running. On the trip back I was using a/c, but everything was so coated with dust and mud that it still did it once, after about 60 miles, but I had been running hard on the trail all day too.

I'm thinking clearancing the bumper some will be necessary, and it's not going to hurt anything there either.

Quick Reply: Mounting point for aux. Trans cooler?