86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MANY MANY QUESTIONS????? Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MANY MANY QUESTIONS????? Please Help

As it says I have a list of questions on my project. Heres the run down. I am swapping a 1990 ext cab body onto a 94 xtnd cab truck. It seems there are a few differences and hence the questions.

1. I think I may have trouble with the speedo reconnect as one is all mechanical and it looks like the 94 is elect. Any help here would be awesome.

2. HUBS> Mine (90) are manual aisin hubs. 94 are auto od ADD. Can I just do a normal hub swap here? And if so do I just disconect the compnent on the axle? If I were to keep the autos is all i need to add the extra vacuum lines? Help here is greatly appreciated.

3. The 94 had cruise and air, is it a major undertaking to add those to my 90s body.

Remember I have both trucks disassembled and I hopefully will be putting the 90 body onto the 94 frame tonight.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Pete
Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If I remember correctly, you can get an adapter from marlin crawler to change your speedo to eletric.

Hubs, just unbolt then and bolt them onto the ADD truck. Just swap the hubs for the flanges

Cruise should be as simple as making sure all the wiring is hooked up, and using the donor steering wheel (for the buttons)

The air would be just as easy aswell, just swap over the ac switch from the 94 and plug everything in.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
1. Two options, 1 is move VSS from '94 to '90 and use '94 cluster or use speedo cable and '90 cluster.

2. Swap away:
- http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/
Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 PM

Jay so the hubs are just as simple as doing a normal hub job?????????

Isnt the unit that is attached to the axle doing anything ..Like important.

I will check marlin right now. I will probably not do the a/c and cruise immediately but am thinking bout it.

Thanks man.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 PM

4Crawler thanks for the link that is some good stuff. I must say it all looks kinda confusing but it will probably be an okay thing for me to undertake. I would definately use the speedo cable and 90 cluster if I find an adapter to go from mechanical to elect.

I love all your input. thanks

Pete
Old 07-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, the hubs just come off and bolt on to the other truck. Its all the same

the ADD stuff on the diff can be blocked off if you don't want it. But you can just leave it and have both ADD and manual hubs..
Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Just tried to go to marlin crawlers web site and it seems to be down. Any insight?????

Wow I am confused on that. How do they both work together. I am definately not questioning you but the logic part put my finite mind a whirling. All I know is that I want the front to work when I am done dont really care to much what engauges it just that it does.

Pete
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Jay here is another ? If I do swap over the hubs and dont do any of the vacuum stuff up top will the manual hubs do the job. And just a side note I am swapping the entire wiring harness and computer from the 94 and putting it into the 90 any forseen problems there???????

Pete
Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup i have manual hubs and vacum lines still hooked up on 2 trucks works great..dont need to stop to put in 4wd
Old 07-17-2008, 01:30 PM

When you put the transfercase in 4wd, it cause a shift fork to slide and lock basically connect the front end. So with manual hubs, you still contain the same functions as add, but you can disconnect the hubs for longer cv life
Old 07-17-2008, 01:32 PM

I guess after I read my own post it wasnt real clear. My truck since it has manual hubs doesnt have the extra vacuum connections in the engine bay. I however do have them from the other truck. Question is. If I swap the hubs to make them manual do I even need to worry about the vacuum lines in the engine bay?????? Hope that is a little clearer.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ultramag
4Crawler thanks for the link that is some good stuff. I must say it all looks kinda confusing but it will probably be an okay thing for me to undertake. I would definately use the speedo cable and 90 cluster if I find an adapter to go from mechanical to elect.

I love all your input. thanks

Pete
The electronic sender will be on the '94 truck's t-case.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Crawler I know where they all are I just need to figure out how to make the mechanical one work in place of the electric.

Pete
Old 07-17-2008, 01:41 PM

If you throw on manual hubs on the add truck. No you can leave the vaccuum lines alone, unless you want to completely remove them in order to completely get rid of the add system.

See link

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

Last edited by 904_runner; 07-17-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 PM

runner hope this helps. I have read that link I need to know if I have to install the vacuum lines from the 94 into my 90. I would like to not have to and would choose not to if they are not needed. I guess to simplify the question I should ask does the manual hub set up completely replace the add just by putting the hubs on. Or does the ADD still need to activate. I am not completely knowledgeable of the whole ADD and want the manual hubs only if possible.

Pete
Old 07-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ultramag
Crawler I know where they all are I just need to figure out how to make the mechanical one work in place of the electric.

Pete
Just remove the VSS and screw in the cable for the mechanical speedo.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:52 PM

Are you kidding me its that easy. That is why I love this place.... I am going to go do that right now. Crawler you rock.

Pete
Old 07-17-2008, 01:58 PM

Just putting on the hubs will not completely replace the add system. So yes the vaccuum lines will be needed.

If you want to remove the vacuum system
One option is to either do what they do in that link.

Or you could take the solid tube coming from the diff on your 90 and swap it to the 94 and that will get rid of all the vaccuum lines up front.

Hope that helps, i've been bad at explaining things today, didn't sleep to well last night, so im super tired
Old 07-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

You can set the ADD permatly on so you dont need to run any hoses. Then just use your manual hubs.

You need to make it hold a vacuum, not sure how. But it gives you an idea...
Old 07-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Okay guys. First of all CRAWLER ROCKS. The whole speedo thing..... FIXED 4 minutes. Second of all I guess I will start with putting the vacuum lines into my truck and then swap the hubs over. First off I need to get the body back on. At least the cab. I guess I could go ahead with the hubs just not the vac lines. Any way I hope everyone know the tru value of this site. I mean really there is no way I should be taking this project on but with all of you guys out there having my back I kinda feel like Mr Goodwrench.

Pete

Quick Reply: MANY MANY QUESTIONS????? Please Help