86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking at getting a Toyota pickup

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x2 on sundog's list. Here are things to look out for:
the V6 has a common head gasket failure. You can see if the recall repair (head gasket replacement) was done by the factory by running the VIN at a dealership. If a head gasket is failing one of several things will be apparent: there will be a milky color in the oil (think chocolate milk), there is white smoke pouring out of the exhaust (not just the stuff we all see on cold days), or there is high pressure in the coolant system.

Avoid the automatic transmissions when at all possible. The manual models can drive for hundreds of thousands of miles, and regularly do, without needing more than new fluids and clutch parts. Automatic transmissions are also power robbing. Whether you go with the v6 or 4 cylinder, the manual transmission will be much much much better. If you don't know how to drive one yet, there isnt much better of a vehicle to learn on.

Turn on the AC. If it whines obviously loudly the compressor may need to be replaced. Thats anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand dollars of work depending on your area and the level of honor-ability of your local mechanic. If your compressor bearing freezes on you, it will stop your whole accessory belt which includes power steering and the alternator for power. Not exactly what you want to have happen while driving.

Now for the #1 enemy of any and all toyota truck owner: RUST! Press the floors for soft spots, check the weatherstripping visually. Look for evidence of water on the carpet or smells of wet funk. Look inside the wheelwells, and make sure you inspect the entire frame. Take specific care to the areas where the suspension attaches to the frame, as that's a common place of rust and subsequent failure.

Take it for a test drive. If its clean and looks well kept (especially if its got service history) and has a clean carfax, either the v6 or the I4 engines are a good choice. Some people hate the 3.0l because its so slow, but its margninally faster than the 4-banger, so I don't really get it. Many people also retrofit these trucks to use the 95+ 3.4 liter v6 out of the tacomas and love them. Good luck with your search!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 PM

"Now for the #1 enemy of any and all toyota truck owner: RUST! Press the floors for soft spots, check the weatherstripping visually. Look for evidence of water on the carpet or smells of wet funk. Look inside the wheelwells, and make sure you inspect the entire frame. Take specific care to the areas where the suspension attaches to the frame, as that's a common place of rust and subsequent failure."

I literally, right in front of the owners, punch rust areas that look suspicious. Once you've bought a Volvo with a foot long hole in the floor, you learn to not care about manners or the owners feelings!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't say a 4wd truck/ 4Runner is necessarily the way to go in snow if your goal is to stay safe through winter and you plan on sticking to roads. Hear me through. In (real) 4wd, your brake system won't work as effectively on slick surfaces (before the rest of you cry foul, read below) and you're quite top heavy (the truck I mean) when compared to a sedan. A sedan with good (narrow) winter tires is going to be pretty good on road snow and much better on ice.

Now, as to why the 4wd limits braking ability on slick surfaces: the LSVP measures the load on the back wheels and determines how much braking force to send back there. This works pretty well and allows the rear wheels to lock later than the front wheels. No biggy if the front wheels lock, aside from loosing steering ability, its not a huge deal, you just take a little longer to stop. When the rear wheels lock, your rear can start to come around on you and you loose total control of the vehicle. In 2wd, your rear wheels lock after your front wheels because the pressure in the lines determines brake force and the two axles are not connected. Connect those axles (by shifting to 4wd) and your rear wheels will lock at the same instant that the fronts lock.

4Runners tend to be cheaper where i live in Vancouver.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 PM

Thumbs up

I am currently in the market for a "new" Toyota as well and the only advice i have for you is to be patient with searching. i don't know how 2000 bucks spends in Washington but i have about the same bank roll for my purchase. I have been looking for my first 4x4 since this past February and have found only a handful of pickups that were even worth the time to go check out in person. Furthermore I have found only 2 that i am seriously considering. The first i found was an 85 5 speed that needed a new motor for 600 bucks everything else was perfect and the 2nd i am probably going to buy is an 86 turbo 5speed that needs a new head for a little over $1000. Of course if you can do the work yourself then its a little easier to find something cheaper toytos in the 1000 dollar range and investing another 1000 dollars into it (plus you know its done right and you get to know your new friend). But i suppose that i am forgetting that i have also been figuring smog equipment and repairs into my calculation considering i live in California and i can't be driving around without a (meow) converter. So hopefully your search will not be as stressful. Every now and then i have spotted a gem for around 2000 bucks but they do go fast so be vigilant.

-Burt

Last edited by whipt_04; 08-20-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
"I wouldn't say a 4wd truck/ 4Runner is necessarily the way to go in snow if your goal is to stay safe through winter and you plan on sticking to roads."

I hate to bash your well thought out statement, but last year right before school ended for winter, roughly 36 inches of snow fell over the course of one night. Over the next week we accumulated ANOTHER 40-50 inches. 2WD Cars, and trucks, were literally useless. It's pretty necessary to have atleast one 4wd at your household if you live in WA... Especially if you're near the cascades or Eastern Washington.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Interesting I also have never heard the22r/ Rec were prone to head gasket failures.

Now if you are talking timing chains and guides that is another problem but really hard to check without pulling the valve cover . About all you can do is ask the seller if it has been replaced and hope they are truthful.

If you grew up in snow country I am sure you have seen your fair share of driving in snow so with a little getting used to a new vehicle you will be fine.

Good luck and happy truck shopping.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Interesting I also have never heard the22r/ Rec were prone to head gasket failures.
I know they are prone for head gasket failures, but since they are so easy to fix compared to the 3vze its almost a non-issue. I just wouldnt say they are "KNOWN" for having head gasket issues. The 3vze is "KNOWN" for having head gasket issues.