86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just Swapped and won't start.. seems electrical plase help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Swapped and won't start.. seems electrical plase help

I just took a 3.0 out of a 95 runner with Auto and put into my 94 manual trans. everything is hooked up except for some of the plugs for the tranny, transfer case and O2 sensor. I didn't get the ECM from the 95 Auto so i am using the one out of the original truck. My problem is that the starter is not engaging. Just makes a ping (click) when i turn the key. There is a plug at the bottom of my starter with nothing in it and i can't seem to find anything off the new or old wiring harness that goes into it.

Does this sound like a grounding or relay problem?

Does anyone know what that plug on the bottom of the starter is for? I know the power supply is hooked up right cause i'm using the starter from the original truck and it was never disconnected. The original wiring harness has a plug that fits it so i cut off the plug that didn't fit and spliced the fitting plug on. Still won't start.

Could it be becase i have nothing plugged into my trans and the truck needs to know it is in neutral or clutch engaged to start? is there a way to over ride?

Should i have gotten the ECU from the Auto Truck even though mine is a manual?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
you need to jump two wires to fool the motor into thinking the auto trans that it should be bolted to, is in neutral. I cant remember the connector you need to jump, sorry..
Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 AM

you have to connect the two larger wires from the neutral safety switch together in order for it to start.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:08 AM

Thanks, I'll give that i try.

Is this the case even though i'm using the original ECM from the manual truck?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 AM

Also I am not 100% on all the lines i plugged back into the intake. I have not been able to find a good diagram. I didn't do such a good job labeling... Does anyone have any good pictures of everything on the passenger side connected or a diagram that explains what does what?
Old 07-21-2009, 04:31 AM

you should use the auto ecm.

cant help you on the line, i took almost all of that out.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:15 AM

And if i don't have the auto ECM..? I can;t get the one that was with that motor. I just have the ECM from the manual. Can i still use the wiring harness attached to the motor that used to be hooked to an auto tranny?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:49 AM

Wait a sec. Let me makes sure I am reading this correctly. You just did a motor swap correct? Took a motor from an auto and put it on a manual? Or did you swap the trans aswell.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 AM

Just the motor swap. The donor vehicle had a blown transmission. So the motor came out off of the auto and got mounted on a manual tranny. I didn't take the ECM out of the donor truck cause i thought it would be useless if i was running a manual tranny. I figured i could splice some wires if i needed to and deal with some engine lights.

So the wiring harness that used to be attached to an auto tranny is now plugged into my ECM for a manual. Everything is still hoked to the motor and i spliced a plug from the old wiring harness to fit into the starters other plug (i didn't take the starter from the donor vehicle.

I currently have nothing plugged into my transmission, transfer case or O2 sensor. The plugs were different and many broke or had to be cut.

Any ideas come to mind??

I just finished body repair and have 32" tires lined up and i'm excited to get the truck back out.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
why are you using the harness from the auto just use the harness you originaly had in the truck ,the auto harness is wired different mainly the nuetral safety switch .
Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 AM

i was hoping to not have to take the throttle body and pleunum off so i could save myself having to replace gaskets.

It makes sense to use the original harness.

Is this my only option for getting things to work properly?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:40 AM

the easiest would be to swap the harness. still figuring out why you just didnt do that in the first place. are you really that cheap and lazy???????

otherwise jumper it for neutral and double check the wiring harness to make sure the rest of the harness is the same for your manual ecm. you could have maf, tps, knock sensor issues, etc.

Last edited by Dan.3; 07-21-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The easiest way is to use the original harness , but using the auto harness can be done but it will be alot of work.You need the wiring diagrams for both trucks.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:45 AM

I'm more impatient than lazy..

I understand. I am very new to this. I have never taken on a job this big before so it has been a big learning process. I am very thankful for YotaTech, i have learned so much from here. this is a fantastic site.

I'm not great at wiring and diagrams. i was trying to figure things out from the haines manual diagams.

Looks like i'm gonna switch the wiring harnesses.

Does anyone have good pictures of all the lines plugged into the passenger side of the pleunum?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 AM

vacuum lines this is. mine weren't labeled (impatient..)
Old 07-21-2009, 02:11 PM

oh oh oh. i did not read that right at all. why did you bother with any of that in the first place? you shouldve just swapped the motor and left everything else alone, put everything back to the way your truck came. a tube of rtv couldve gotten you past your gasket problems.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:10 PM

From reading this it seems like you have gone in over your head. Next time I think you should take the time to research what you are doing before you actually do it. It will probably save you the headache

Wish I could help but have a 22re

Sorry guy!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:38 AM

Yeah this has been quite the process. I started out with the intentions of rebuilding the original motor so i stripped everything down to the bare heads and block, yanked it and then came across a a running engine for $300 (Guy blew his transmission but the motor ran well). So i pulled it out of his truck and it sat in a shed until the snow melted enough to do some work. I "didn't do enough research" and i disconnected my original wiring harness from everything behind the engine (which i now regret) thinking that it could just use the harness that was attached to the engine i pulled. I got everything in except plugging in the tranny transfer case and O2 sensor and the truck wouldn't start. just clicked.

SO now i realize i need to unhook the wiring harness from the injectors and everything else and use the wiring harness from my original truck.

As I mentioned this has been a learning process. I bought this truck with the intentions of getting familiar with everything so that i could do my own work. It just so happened that i blew the HG 2 weeks into owning it so this gave me a chance to learn faster.

Thanks for all the input. I will probably have more questions and i hope you guys will give me a hand. I ordered a new plenum gasket and throttle body gasket and am getting them on thursday. I let you know how things go.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:24 AM

Alright so my plenum gasket will be picked up tonight after work and i am going to take a crack at it. Pull the plugs off the injectors TPS Knock Sensor etc.. and then plug my old harness off of the manual back into everything.

Anyone have other insight to share?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
x2 on changing the harness. You are trying to make dogs and cats live together and without a good electrical knowledge, they are going to kill eachother(make your truck not operate properly)

Quick Reply: Just Swapped and won't start.. seems electrical plase help