86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

interesting 22re miss.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting 22re miss.

driving down the highway today at around 70ish, 2800-3000 rpms and the check engine light turns off, randomly and when it does the truck misses, it comes back on and the truck misses. puzzled me abit.

on the way home the truck missed about every 30 seconds, it was a quick miss, i'm thinking it wasn't getting spark because it would make a backfire noise after it would miss.

can anyone point me in the right direction.

truck is missing the knock sensor, could this have anything to do with it.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kind of sounds like an injector had different plans than you did today.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If there's no knock sensor, that's likely to be the cause for the CEL. Plus, you have big hole = vacuum leak that needs to be plugged up right in the manifold. If it's just the wire missing, you'll need to fix it. In either case, the ignition timing is going to be affected and either could be (and probably is) causing the backfiring.

There are two types of backfiring. One is from the exhaust manifold and the other is back up through the intake. Neither are good, but the second is very serious.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by thook
There are two types of backfiring. One is from the exhaust manifold and the other is back up through the intake. Neither are good, but the second is very serious.
agreed, I lost my last 4x4 (1976 full size cherokee) because it would backfire through the intake and one time it set the engine compartment on fire.
bye bye cherokee!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by thook
If there's no knock sensor, that's likely to be the cause for the CEL. Plus, you have big hole = vacuum leak that needs to be plugged up right in the manifold. If it's just the wire missing, you'll need to fix it. In either case, the ignition timing is going to be affected and either could be (and probably is) causing the backfiring.

knock sensor threads into the side of the block.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:11 AM

driving down the highway today at around 70ish, 2800-3000 rpms and the check engine light turns off, randomly and when it does the truck misses, it comes back on and the truck misses. puzzled me abit.

Clarification; the CEL light is on at all times; and went out when it misfired?

on the way home the truck missed about every 30 seconds, it was a quick miss, i'm thinking it wasn't getting spark because it would make a backfire noise after it would miss.

truck is missing the knock sensor, could this have anything to do with it?

I may be mistaken; but will a missing Knock Sensor keep the ignition timing retarded and in open loop?

Anyway; my guess: A cool high humidity day and you were under load. Moustier in the cap; causing a cross spark.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by elvis

Clarification; the CEL light is on at all times; and went out when it misfired?

truck is missing the knock sensor, could this have anything to do with it?

I may be mistaken; but will a missing Knock Sensor keep the ignition timing retarded and in open loop?

Anyway; my guess: A cool high humidity day and you were under load. Moustier in the cap; causing a cross spark.
it was night time and about 35ish, so the snow was melting and stuff... hmm