Sponsored by: DashLynx

ifs steering box

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
THAT WAS MY OLD GIRL

just got rid of it a little over a month ago

so she's still driving around there huh? the guy that bought it lives in Melbourne
You SOLD HER!!!??? When did this happen??
That was my favorite 2nd gen!!
I've read all of your threads!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by streetlancer
You SOLD HER!!!??? When did this happen??
That was my favorite 2nd gen!!
I've read all of your threads!!!
lol, yes I parted with her

it was all in a big plan I had when I had what I thought was a steady job...

was pulling in enough money a month to make a real truck payment, and I got tired of screwing with the Toy every week to make sure it was going to keep getting me to work; it was one thing after another; just little things that kept happening... but it was getting quite annoying...

so, I sold it locally, and went and picked this up:

THEN, a week later, the Toyota gods showed their disapproval and laid me off work lol
Old 05-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Well I've already check all the junkyards around town the earliest steering box they have is 89...kinda in rough shape all the way to 94 T100. I know they aren't an exact fit. can anyone shed light on upgrading to the newer style?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

hey off topic for a sec, but where in Titusville are you? and what color truck do you have?

there's a black 2nd gen PU parked across the street from me here, and I'm wandering if MAYBE it's someone on the forums
Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you dont need a gasket.. just pull it off and put it on.. its a toyota part.. its good for long time...

i just pulled a ifs power steering from my old 94 runner.. its going on my suzuki to push my hysteer yota axles...

took me 3 hours too pull but lots of rust and breaks too pull some tubes.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 PM

I know the weekends over but I got a black extended cab. Let me see if i can scrounge up a pic. Thats it minus the boggers. I got black steelies and mud terrains now.
Attached Thumbnails ifs steering box-picresized_th_1273467512_dscn0161.jpg  

Last edited by EricH87P/U; 05-09-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

looks just like that, 'cept there's a sticker on the front window that says "BINGO", and there's some other stickers on the back window (a Browning one, and some others), and there's no front bumper like that on it

but man that's close; I had to look at the pic twice! lol
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 AM

Ok so your steeering is loose, is it all in the steering box? How about your TRE's, ball joints, idler and pitman arms? Your box uses you hydro power to move the pitman arm to mak eit stear, basicly takes the work out of steering your truck and does it for you.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:32 PM

just replaced the tie rods. the ball joints are good. but the pitman arm might be worn out still have a front end wobble i thought the tie rods would fix.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

how about the idler arm?

those are VERY prone to waring on these IFS systems, ESPECIALLY if you wheel it
Old 05-13-2010, 04:30 PM

Those items would fix your wobbly steering, new box wont fix that, but will improve the responsiveness, and not to mention leak all over the place.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 PM

I got my pitman arm so I'm all ready for my gear box. If found a later model steering box from a 89 pickup for a really good deal. I wasn't wanting to have to modify anything but moneys tight so I got to go with the deal. I understand the later model steering boxes are an inch longer where the steering shaft meets the box. What modifying needs to be done? Can I just bolt it on or just take the steering shaft off the 89 too?
I know this thread might be drawn out because iv'e been working to much to find time to put into truck. I have done the searches and found no clear answer. I got all the tools to take everything off but i don't have any welding skills so let me know if this can or can't be done. thanks.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 AM

Well dont know what what you need to do to make it work, never done that swap.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 PM

Finished!!

For all those wondering the 89-95 steering box is a direct bolt on replacement part for the 86-87 pickups. All you have to do is shorten the steering shaft by loosening the bolt closest the firewall and feed it in an inch. If that doesn't work for you...you can even drill out the pins to shorten the shaft like so http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...#SteeringShaft but it shouldn't be needed. I'm really happy how it worked out. I found a used one for 40 bucks and have had no leaks so far (now use ATF), lost 6 inches of play in the steering wheel, and have found that it is a quicker ratio with the newer boxes. Only downfall is I haven't yet gotten the old pitman arm off. The advance auto pitman arm pullers break every time you use them.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by EricH87P/U
For all those wondering the 89-95 steering box is a direct bolt on replacement part for the 86-87 pickups. All you have to do is shorten the steering shaft by loosening the bolt closest the firewall and feed it in an inch. If that doesn't work for you...you can even drill out the pins to shorten the shaft like so http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...#SteeringShaft but it shouldn't be needed. I'm really happy how it worked out. I found a used one for 40 bucks and have had no leaks so far (now use ATF), lost 6 inches of play in the steering wheel, and have found that it is a quicker ratio with the newer boxes. Only downfall is I haven't yet gotten the old pitman arm off. The advance auto pitman arm pullers break every time you use them.
Oh cool!

That pitman arm puller, how are you using it? I used one from Advance Auto (bought from the the store there on HW50 ) and I rebuilt my entire front end with it.

PM me if you need help; I'm in town for a few days, and I garantee you we could get if off there
Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 AM

Well I'm sure I'm using it right. sliding it in between the box and the pitman arm and tightening the bolt. Iv'e popped a few off before but it just helps if the puller doesn't break. Its been taking so long to get stuff done between work but top priority right now is finding a new motor before i throw a rod.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Well I'm sure I'm using it right. sliding it in between the box and the pitman arm and tightening the bolt. Iv'e popped a few off before but it just helps if the puller doesn't break. Its been taking so long to get stuff done between work but top priority right now is finding a new motor before i throw a rod.
try using this method

1) put the puller on, and tention it up with the bolt; get a pretty good amount of torque on it

2) take a hammer and hit the pitman arm firmly (strike the pitman arm right where it attaches to the shaft coming out of the gearbox)

3) repeat steps one and two several times until the pitman arm breaks free; the tentioning and hitting with the hammer will break the hold on the piman arm 9 out of 10 times

you want to strike the pitman arm here:

and this is the exact puller I used:

to create this

Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 AM

Exact same one I have had for 12 or 14 years, removed many a parts with it, and abused it as well. Never failed.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
When I just got my power steering system from a 95 pickup from the junk yard, (manual to power steering converson). Everything was bolt on, however, I did have to shorten up the steering shaft in my 87.

I replaced the pitman arm on the junk yard unit, however using the "standard" pitman puller, I dang near broke the ends off because they started to bend and would not break loose hte pitman. The puller I had to use I also rented from Autozone but it was the heavy duty version of the OEM brand. The one pictured here:

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...27170/image/4/

I had to tighten down the wing nuts pretty good with an an adjustable wrench and used a 12" 1/2" drive breaker bar and also rented a 32mm ??? axle nut socket.

With a little cursing along the way and bracing my foot up against the passenger side tow hook, I managed to get mine off.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 06-02-2010 at 11:29 AM.