YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Idle surges, only when a/c is on.

I just got my truck back from the shop with a new motor and everything is pretty good except when I turn on the a/c, the idle will start to surge. When the a/c is off, it idles fine. I had this problem before, and I think I fixed it by turning the idle screw in some. I also noticed a little white knob on top of the intake that looks like it may be related to the idle. Any ideas?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

that's the a/c idle up valve, it's purpose is to raise the idle speed when the a/c is turned on.
now, by 'surge' what do you mean? it just revs up to a higher rpm, or fluctuates up and down?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

The adjuster on the intake with the big spring under it is the AC idle up. Turn it in a bit so the idle is not so high with the ac on.
95 22re extra cab, custom box, 4:56, 31inch tires, electric fan, Flat black paint, 4 runner buckets and mirrors

WANTED: 1st Gen Pickup 4x4 project.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedarian View Post
that's the a/c idle up valve, it's purpose is to raise the idle speed when the a/c is turned on.
now, by 'surge' what do you mean? it just revs up to a higher rpm, or fluctuates up and down?
it revs up then it's like someone turned the key off then back on again just before it dies. it does about one cycle a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash319 View Post
The adjuster on the intake with the big spring under it is the AC idle up. Turn it in a bit so the idle is not so high with the ac on.
with the surge up and down which way should i go with it?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Try this....PCV Valve and Idle Screw

Well don't know if you have the 3.0 (I do on my 93 pickup) and had a similar problem with my idle and AC once I got it back from the shop (had a new compressor installed.....to damn hot here in Texas). Anyways I was searching and reading up as much as possible on the forum for the least expensive troubleshoots. I solved my problem by replacing the PCV valve (about $4 at your local Toyota dealership) and adjusting the idle screw to get the idle back down to 800 RPM (was at 1100 RPM....don't know how it got there). Prior to doing this my truck would surge from 1100 RPM to 1500 RPM and then would stay at 1500 RPM and surge again from 1500 to 1750 RPMs with or without the AC on and every time I was coming to a stop or at a red light. After adjusting the idle and replacing the PCV valve no more problems.....I just drove it 500 miles back to South Texas and it works great.

But there's my .02 worth and relatively cheap and easy. Give it a try if you haven't done so yet.

John
Old 07-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MIKEMOKAS
are you sure that your ac system is fully charged? if its low it would cause your compressor to kick on and off frequently.. which might do something like you described?
'03 Chevy S10 ZR2 13" SAS, D44 F/R 4:30's 35" BFG A/T's on Pro Comp X-Alloys...
'88 Toyota Pickup 22RE, 4x4, 5-Speed, 3in Body, 2.5 BJ spaced 31" LTX M/S's on Chrome Steelies...

Pasts!...
'95 Chevy S10 LS 1st truck.., 2wd, 3in springs and 3.5in Fabtech Spindles, Sold 03.24.12 12:30pm
'91 Pickup SR5 3.0L, 5-Speed, 4in ProComp, SOLD. <-- You Will Be Missed! 06.14.09 6:45pm.
'91 4Runner SR5 3.0L, Auto, SOLD. <-- You Will Be Missed! 05.07.08 6:00pm.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Licensed Lunatic

travishbleederdude
is the AC blowing cold still?

sounds like maybe just the idle-up valve is out of adjustment like mentioned...

with the truck running and the AC on (assuming the compressor's kicking on and blowing cold air), face the motor from the from of the truck. Looking at the intake, on the right side about right in the middle is the idle-up valve; has one large hose connected to it from the throttle body, and 2-3 little hoses (depending if you have PS) coming off it going over the valve cover.

Two of the little hoses go to the solenoid furthest to the front mounted on the valve cover, and if you have a 3rd one, it goes over to the PS pump.

On top of the valve pointing up should be what looks like a white plastic screw; six sided with a slot for a philips head screwdriver.

Turn it clockwise; in other words tighten it down a little at a time. The idle should steady and level out; I've set mine about 200 RPMs above normal idle with the AC off.

Of coarse, all this is assuming you have the 22re... I have no idea if you have the 3.0

just call me Travis

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 07-24-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Yes, just turn down the fast idle speed with the A/C idle up valve.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

If your idle is to high when the throttle plate is closed (idle) the computer will force a bouncing idle that you describe. Get your idle down and it will go away. You must have an idle under 1000rpm or you will have this condition.
95 22re extra cab, custom box, 4:56, 31inch tires, electric fan, Flat black paint, 4 runner buckets and mirrors

WANTED: 1st Gen Pickup 4x4 project.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
is the AC blowing cold still?

sounds like maybe just the idle-up valve is out of adjustment like mentioned...

with the truck running and the AC on (assuming the compressor's kicking on and blowing cold air), face the motor from the from of the truck. Looking at the intake, on the right side about right in the middle is the idle-up valve; has one large hose connected to it from the throttle body, and 2-3 little hoses (depending if you have PS) coming off it going over the valve cover.

Two of the little hoses go to the solenoid furthest to the front mounted on the valve cover, and if you have a 3rd one, it goes over to the PS pump.

On top of the valve pointing up should be what looks like a white plastic screw; six sided with a slot for a philips head screwdriver.

Turn it clockwise; in other words tighten it down a little at a time. The idle should steady and level out; I've set mine about 200 RPMs above normal idle with the AC off.

Of coarse, all this is assuming you have the 22re... I have no idea if you have the 3.0
Yes, I have the 22RE. As soon as it's light in the morning I'm going to go out and try this.

My e-Portfolio

Earth Has a Cold
Old 07-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash319 View Post
If your idle is to high when the throttle plate is closed (idle) the computer will force a bouncing idle that you describe. Get your idle down and it will go away. You must have an idle under 1000rpm or you will have this condition.
So maybe the a/c idle valve is forcing it above 1000rpm which then causes this only when the a/c is on. I'm gonna try iamsuperbleeder's suggestion in the morning.

My e-Portfolio

Earth Has a Cold
Old 07-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Well, now it won't do it. Guess next time I go somewhere, I'll have to pull over somewhere and try it.

My e-Portfolio

Earth Has a Cold
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Contributing Member

the search is a wonderful thing

I found this thread and this http://www.yotatech.com/f16/surging-idle-c-67437/

Last edited by coops2k; 04-22-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4runner, 91, ac, chevy, compressor, gm, idle, idles, kicks, low, s10, surge, surges, surging, throttle, truck