Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I think i want to buy this 86 4runner, tell me what you think!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check all the fluids and look for signs of water in the oil. This can happen when the timing chain guides break and the chain wears through the timing cover.

Listen for a knocking sound from the timing chain area as well. Also from the plastic broken guide thing.

Usually, a good mechanic will change the timing set and guides while they are already there fixing the head since a lot of the labor to do it is the same.

The heads are aluminum and can warp or crack when they are overheated. It isn't the end of the world if it happens though. You can get a complete head reasonably priced.

Look for frame rot, especially in the rear. I had an 84 pick up that looked mint on the outside but the frame was toast. It's a common issue anywhere they use salt on the roads.

Take a good look at the radiator. They are prone to corrosion as well.

Lastly, look for oil leaks from the oil pan gasket, the pan itself, the timing cover and the front and rear main seals. I would expect some leaks. Most of them are relativley easily repaired but you want to be aware of them.

Other than that, just take it for a ride and see how it feels. Engage the 4x4 and all that kind of stuff. All in all they are pretty stout little trucks and are pretty easy to work on.

Keep in mind that the motor probably has 250K on it too even though it got a new head. Which reminds me, if you cannot do a compression check, take it to a hill and park it in gear and see if it stays put or chugs its way down the hill.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Figit090
he mentioned that the problem with 22r's is if you let them get to hot, you can kinda easily warp or crack the head....if anyone can comment on how true that is to 22r's that would be great
That was actually the problem with mine and why I was leaking coolant down the side of the block. I had the head milled and replaced the head gasket and it's fine now. Not sure how the head became warped. I'm thinking it was like that when I bought it (it's "lost" coolant ever since I had it), but I didn't know to look for that.

Rob
Old 04-13-2007, 08:41 AM

I have an '86 and I so wish I had done a little better job checking it out, but that said everything I have done has gone well and I have found it to be very reliable as my DD.

I agree with those that talked about rot. It appears to me that the only thing that can truly kill these truck is rust. Replacing engines and steering and all that other junk is relatively easy and justifiable, but rust is the enemy. I would think if it is clean of rust it has to be worth every penny of $2k. Lift the carpet in the cargo area, check the spots behind the doors. Also check for caked mud in the suspension and frame (mine had tons)

Even given the surprises I love this truck and they are getting so rare that I don't think you can completely go wrong.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:30 AM

hi guys, i'm back after looking at it, and i greatly appriciate your help everybody. I looked at it and was dissapointed a bit, there were dents on the tailgate that were creatively avoided (maybe on accident) in the photos, and the clarity could never capture the pealing clearcoat. it just looked old and kinda jaded, nothing like the picture. its not horrible but its a definite downgrade from my supra, and I would like to upgrade to something with nicer paint. i thought my car's paint was not that nice but after seeing this truck it makes me thankful mine is as nice as it is.

its not bad..and almost could be expected for a truck that old for that price, but the picture was a bit misleading, and the deal didnt seem nearly as good when you consider the cosmetic help it needed.

not to mention, the paint was bad on the right side...so you cant even see that part of the truck in the pic.

if i were willing to paint a truck (i almost am..but not quite) i would talk him down knowing that it would need paint, and buy it, but right now... if i get a different car its gotta at least look decent....and this one didnt quite make it.

sorry guys. thanks for your help. i'm probably going to keep looking for a 4runner though, so dont think your advice was useless or anything, i'm definitely going to use it, just not today.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Where is it? Paint and cosmetics would be the least of my worries. If it's near me, dibs..
Old 04-13-2007, 11:56 AM

There are definitely better deals to be found if you have patience. I stumbled on my 87 2 weeks ago just by talking to a chick at work who happened to mention she had an old 4Runner. I then got a little excited and asked her about it and she said she just wanted rid of the thing, so I looked up the Blue Book (About $1400) and offered her $750 and she took it. 176k miles, same AZ owner from new - Full service history from new.

Mine just needs Alternator Brushes as the Charge / Brake light are on and new CV boots up front. Paint is faded by the sun - but I'm good with a rattle can!

Offer them Blue Book, which is way less than they are selling it for - around $1500'ish tops for a Private Sale. Maybe even point that out to them, never know - they might snap it up.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh man! I've had an '86 for almost 8 yrs now. I paid $2500 cash for it with 125k +/m. It needed a new radiator, thermo, coolant flush, crankcase flush, a few sensors, tires, shocks, springs, seat covers, hoses, plugs, wires, timing chain, fresh lubes all around, new bumper, and still needs lots of rust work. I've had to do some work to it, but everything done has lasted and made it run even better. I don't care...even if another person might think I paid too much. This truck has well been worth it. If I had $2k, I'd certainly buy that one. With no rust, to me, everything else is a snap. I could paint it with rustoleum for about $50 and have a good solid base to work with. I know, you've other things in mind. But, I wouldn't turn it down. I just like the 1st gens very much, I suppose.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:19 PM

yeah...if it doesnt sell for a while i might call him up and offer him a lower price, and paint it this summer. but im not sure...

its in california...sorry UncleBob...lol.

it wasnt a perfect body either...there were some defects i'd have to work out... its just not worth 2k to me, not right now.

it kbb'd at about 1500 for the sr5... 1000 for non-sr5. i think it was an sr5..not sure.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:40 PM

If there is anyway possible to offer cash, that's a big buying power point. He/she would not have to pay taxes on it. Listen to me, the outlaw here. But, it's true and that means more for the seller and less for you.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

offer 1k and no more than 1.5k. you will learn so much doing the work yourself and appreciate the truck that much more. i had an 86 sr5, 22re 5 spd, the head was replaced by my mech. it needed some gaskets/seals but the rust in the body was beyond saving.

it had 430,000 kms when i got rid of it, i made ALL my money back on it parting out the left over good stuff. in retrospect, i should have kept it and spent the time on the body. ive been lucky with my 93 v6, ive learned quite a bit doing my own work as well. the 86 would have been even easier.

off load the supra, the cash you gain from it will go a long way with the 86. not to mention being able to go topless!! make the offer, if they balk and its still around in a couple weeks, go back and final offer 1k. walk away unless they take your offer.

good luck, keep us posted.

lee
Old 04-15-2007, 04:32 PM

allright...well my mom hates the idea, and my dad says move on, but if in fact its still available later on (doubt it) it's possible i'll offer 1k. but it had some dents and i would like to just wait for a good deal on one with a perfect, or better, body. we'll see. and its a hard decision...i really like the supra. lol... thanks guys. this summer, if not earlier, i'll be making some serious decisions. i'm staying local and going to college so i'll need a car, and reliable and easy on gas would be nice. but i'm going to get a job, and there are so many routes i can take...its going to take time to make up my mind unless i come across something i have to get. i might swap in a turbo engine into my supra, or buy a whole new supra....or get a truck/4runner. or an mr2. so far, those are my options. i like them all so much, only time will tell.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:42 PM

Being clear on what you want helps a lot. Good luck, and may the force be with you....hehe!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:17 PM

haha, yeah...its been nerve racking trying to figure it out. i think to really know i'm going to have to write it all down, and test drive every possibility...until then... i dont really have any way of being sure. i could drive a 4 runner and hate it.... lol.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:24 PM

I don't know, man...they're pretty infectious. They just have such charm! Especially when you put that sucker in low 4 and start plowing through terrain. And then topless...ah, well..I haven't even gotten that far, yet. But, it's in the plans.

But, don't let anyone else decide for you. After all, it is just a vehicle. There are plenty on Earth to choose from.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:16 PM

yeah...thanks. great way to put it

you haven't taken the top off???? bah! lol....
Old 04-16-2007, 09:47 PM

Awesome supra, reminds me of my first one. Four supras later and i still love em. As for the 4runner, you should buy one too, having both a supra and a 4runner rocks!!! If only i could combine them...

Last edited by jd20phill; 04-16-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i just picked one up for $3500, 88 dlx. i did a lot of price comparison and feel i got a good deal. no rust in the body, everything functions today. that's enough for me. these trucks will always be classics. go buy that truck for $1600 and fix it up. you'll be very happy.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:47 PM

I got my '86 SR5 for $1100. Had 234K at the time, 22RE, everything worked, cleanish interior, okay paint, no rust. You can probably do better than the one you looked at.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:52 PM

I paid $1000 for my 86 truck without ever driving it, And ended up getting screwed, I was told the radiator had a small leak. No Biggy, And the motor was a reman with 46,000 it....Problem was the previous owner overheated it at some point, cause 5,000 miles later the HG went and come to find the head was warped too...Yay!!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jd20phill
Awesome supra, reminds me of my first one. Four supras later and i still love em. As for the 4runner, you should buy one too, having both a supra and a 4runner rocks!!! If only i could combine them...
why, thank you! you looked at my cardomain right? i should update it...its in disrepair and missing pics... lol.

thanks for the price/experiance comparisons guys, that will really help. i'd probably pay 5-800 for this guy's truck compared to what i'm hearing. it wasnt that bad but i've seen some nicer ones.

it was mainly so tempting because its difficult to find one, a good one especially, for a decent price...around where i live anyway.

i found a 1984 fj-60 for 1900 dollars...but it needs work too. i wish i could find a cheap and nice one. lol.... probably gets kinda cruddy gas mileage...because of its size.. 4runner is still at the top of my list smallish, lighter than big suv's...reliable...user-friendly. lol