86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I got my CB installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my CB installed

First off sorry for the crappy pics I can't find my camera so I had to use my phone.

I got lots of great advise from everyone here. I finally decided that I really liked the look of the ashtray mount so I went that route.

I ended up getting the CB Cobra ultra 19 II and a 3 ft firestik from a guy I work with for free.

I found a local CB shop that was right down the street from my house. D & R Comunications. The guys there were great and very informative. I originally wanted to do the door jam mount on the back. When I mentioned that to them the first thing he asked me is do you want it to look cool or work...lol.

I was told that mounting it on the back is the worst thing you can do it really limits the range. So then I said ok well how about a fender mount on the passenger side. I guess thats another no no.

He said you always want to put it on the driver side as close as you can to the bulhead. I didn't ask why I just figured he has been doing this since 1979 so he would know better then me. About the only thing I was right about when he asked me was that you ALWAYS run a 18ft cable.

So I got my cable and mount and came home and installed it. After installing it I went back to D & R to have it tuned. Apperantly even antennas that come pre tuned still need some fine tuning.

Their tech there was way cool he hooked it up to the SWR meter and tested it he had to cut about 1/8 of a inch from the antenna to tune it. we tested it after tuning it and I was picking up some of the truck drivers on the freeway about 5 miles away.

So with all said and done it cost me $31 for a mount and cable and they tuned it for free.

I HIGHLY recommend D & R comunications if any of you guys or gals on here are thinking about putting a CB in your truck and your in the portland/clackamas area look them up. Their on hwy 212.

Ok enouph babbling heres the pics

Last edited by Lummpus; 06-09-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:57 PM

Looks good way to score stuff on the cheap. A spring might be a good investment if you are going to wheel the thing. My antenna is in the same place and I have lost the antenna on the trail a few times, with no spring. My bracket is REALLY flimsy though, so atleast it kills the bracket not the antenna. Looks like you found a good CB shop to.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 94runnerfan
Looks good way to score stuff on the cheap. A spring might be a good investment if you are going to wheel the thing. My antenna is in the same place and I have lost the antenna on the trail a few times, with no spring. My bracket is REALLY flimsy though, so atleast it kills the bracket not the antenna. Looks like you found a good CB shop to.
Yeah I get paid friday and I'm buying a spring for sure.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:38 PM

looks good!

you definitely can't beat the price for the antenna too!

might want to put on a quick disconnect, while you have the ant. off to put on the spring. will make it easier and quicker to get into parking garages (you don't have to unscrew the antenna, just a push and turn and it'll pop right off).
Old 06-09-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, No antenna comes pre tunned no matter what they say. Good job, I bet it will talk pretty good.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
that's purdy sweet; good deal!

I really didn't know all that went into make a CB work good
Old 06-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great!

Im not too fond of the tailgate set up on the runners, good pick on the hood haha.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
looks good!

you definitely can't beat the price for the antenna too!

might want to put on a quick disconnect, while you have the ant. off to put on the spring. will make it easier and quicker to get into parking garages (you don't have to unscrew the antenna, just a push and turn and it'll pop right off).
I'm planning on putting a spring on Friday when I get paid. Since I have had the runner I have never gone into a parking garage. Its only a 3 footer so no worrys now but if I upgrade dirve thrus will be a pain.

Originally Posted by turborich
Yeah, No antenna comes pre tunned no matter what they say. Good job, I bet it will talk pretty good.
Yeah I found that out. so far just playing with it in my driveway I can get the freeway traffic thats a few miles away.

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
that's purdy sweet; good deal!

I really didn't know all that went into make a CB work good
Neither did I...lol I always thought you plug it in and go. Guess I was wrong.

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
Looks great!

Im not too fond of the tailgate set up on the runners, good pick on the hood haha.
Thanks.

Last edited by Lummpus; 06-09-2009 at 11:11 PM.