Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How Much Can the Factory Roof Rack on my ’93 Runner Handle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Much Can the Factory Roof Rack on my ’93 Runner Handle?

Thinking about getting a couple of kayaks. I don’t think weight will be an issue, but am concerned about wind resistance pulling the factory rack apart while going down the highway.
I’ve tugged on the crossbars, and they seem pretty stout.
I plan on mitigating the issue by tying the front and rear of the kayaks to the bumpers.
I’m looking at used kayaks, and don’t want to spend a ton getting an aftermarket rack.

I plan on getting some universal kayak mounts. Something like this;
Amazon.com: TMS KAYAK-RK-J(1BOX) Universal Roof J Rack Kayak Boat Canoe Surf Ski Car Top Carrier: Automotive Amazon.com: TMS KAYAK-RK-J(1BOX) Universal Roof J Rack Kayak Boat Canoe Surf Ski Car Top Carrier: Automotive

I’ve seen others hauling kayaks on factory roof racks (other car makers) without tying the ends down to the bumper, and all seemed good.

Thoughts?
Old 05-20-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
...don’t want to spend a ton getting an aftermarket rack......I’ve seen others hauling kayaks on factory roof racks (other car makers) without tying the ends down to the bumper, and all seemed good...
The problem with stock crossbars is plastic hardware carrying the weight. See your manual how much weight your stock cross-bars can handle. If not enough for your kayaks, get Thule or Yakima towers and crossbars. They put the weight on metal parts.

Thule's work with one tandem and a single kayak on my Corolla. No need for specialized kayak rack.

Yakima's on my Civic, too .

Originally Posted by jdrum1
... am concerned about wind resistance pulling the factory rack apart while going down the highway...
My Civic had carried 2 singles and 1 tandem at one time, too. Yes, three kayaks. No need for specialized kayak rack.

Fact of life - you have to do something to prevent wind lift and kayaks sliding forward when you brake.
Options:
  1. Risk it, or
  2. Be safe.

I choose be safe. My methods:
  1. A third strap that secures whole load to roof itself, not just the bars. Webbing runs below roof, between door frame and door, OR
  2. I have tie-downs to from and rear bumper. Yes,
    I plan on mitigating the issue by tying the front and rear of the kayaks to the bumpers

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-20-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:44 PM

The factory cross bars shouldn't have any problems with a couple of kayaks. The problem you will run into is that they are pretty narrow. I used Yakima bars on the factory rails. I carried WAY too much weight on there! We had 5 kayaks in travel bags with all their gear one time. It bent the roof a bit at the rear point.

Bow and stern lines are strongly recommended! You are responsible for anything the boats hit or kill. The lines are not ment to be tight, they are just a precaution. I see way too man people cinch the secondary lines tight enough to bend the boats

Happy paddling!
Old 05-20-2014, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the input!

Rad,
I need to check again, but I think everything that's load bearing (including the pieces that secure the crossbars to the roof rails) is metal.

My factory manual makes no mention of the roof rack's weight limit (in fact, there's nothing in there about it at all).

Wave,
I was thinking that the J-racks would ensure that two will fit.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by wavekayaker
The factory cross bars shouldn't have any problems with a couple of kayaks. The problem you will run into is that they are pretty narrow. I used Yakima bars on the factory rails.
Agree. Stock cross bars width are limited to distance between the rails. After market crossbars will go beyond that; you can pick one with lengths as wide as the car (i.e. 58 inches).

Bow and stern lines are strongly recommended! You are responsible for anything the boats hit or kill. The lines are not meant to be tight, they are just a precaution. I see way too man people cinch the secondary lines tight enough to bend the boats
Yeah, just use cords and knots. Do not use the racheting straps for either around the boat, stern, or bow. Too easy to over-tighten those and mess up your boat. If worried about scratching your paint. Insert cord through length of soft tubing so tubing protects your paint.

Rad,
I need to check again, but I think everything that's load bearing (including the pieces that secure the crossbars to the roof rails) is metal.
My factory manual makes no mention of the roof rack's weight limit (in fact, there's nothing in there about it at all).
Cool. If you look closely some racks would have capacity marked on faint sticker.
Yep, happy paddling and fishing
Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 PM

The J-racks would do the job. You could also just get a stacker. That might be cheaper than the j-cradles.

I seem to remember 150 limit on the factory rack. I way over did that regularly.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 PM

Thanks again guys.

I'll do a little more research and looking around.

I'm in no hurry. Plus, I'm leaning towards used kayaks, so it will probably be a while until I actually get something on the roof.