Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How does push starting actually work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lifelongtoy
That answers my question. Dare I ask another?

So can you take the battery out once the engine is running, and have it still run?
Yes, but some vehicles will not like that. Depending upon the configuration, it's possible to damage the alternator or even the brain by doing that. The system expects to see a battery there.

That is not to say all will have problems. Older rigs, those with less computer, particularly those with generators and external regulators will do just fine. Some track cars are started with an external impact wrench type tool and don't even have a battery to reduce weight.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Talk about quick responses. People are on the ball tonight!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CJM
Yea, with an auto it may be impossible..I dont know for sure.

One time I wanted to see if I could still steer the car if I shut the engine off and had shifted into N. In my 93 camry the answer is NO...it locks the dang wheel with no engine! Maybe it was me, I only did it once and it was downrightscary..

Now my friends dodge avenger it didnt matter, he lost all power and was fine to steer.
In the yotas you have to turn it off and then back to the on position to unlock the steering wheel.

When ever I get in a car that is new to me I test this out just in case the unfortunate event I would have to do that, and I turned the Runner off and then turn the key back to on, engine still off but the steering was freed up again.

The olds was nice though, you just turned it to the acc position and it would still be good.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:40 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, thanks Av! Bedtime now..man I am tired..
Old 02-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CJM
Ah, thanks Av! Bedtime now..man I am tired..
x2 i think i put my fare share of .02 in for tonight...
Old 02-19-2007, 08:58 PM

I used to roll start all the time when I was deer hunting with my 87 4Runner. It's much quieter than using the starter. Just stop on a hill, listen, glass, and when you move on, put it in second, push in the clutch and go. Silent...

Erich
Old 02-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
[HIJACK]
when people say "dump the clutch" does that mean just literally take your foot off so the pedal shoots back up or does it mean control it somewhat but still let it go fast? not that im in any hurry to do burnouts nor do i want to abuse my clutch/drivetrain/tires, but in general to do that, do you rev it high and let the clutch pop up unrestricted or do you use your foot and let it out quickly, but not let it "pop" up? just an example...
[/HIJACK]
Old 02-19-2007, 09:27 PM

as far as going without a battery, that is a bad idea, the battery doesnt just power the starter, it regulates voltage at 14 volts or whatever it it, when removed you get voltage spikes which can damage things like your ecu and it can damage your alternator
Old 02-19-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Who what huh?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Erich_870
I used to roll start all the time when I was deer hunting with my 87 4Runner. It's much quieter than using the starter. Just stop on a hill, listen, glass, and when you move on, put it in second, push in the clutch and go. Silent...

Erich
You AK guys live a different life...In CO, that is big time illegal, and has some very serious fines associated with it. They pretty much beat that into our heads at the hunter safety courses, and then you get the "quick" review when you go in to get your big game tags every year. Can't tell you how many times i've heard it.

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
[HIJACK]
when people say "dump the clutch" does that mean just literally take your foot off so the pedal shoots back up or does it mean control it somewhat but still let it go fast? not that im in any hurry to do burnouts nor do i want to abuse my clutch/drivetrain/tires, but in general to do that, do you rev it high and let the clutch pop up unrestricted or do you use your foot and let it out quickly, but not let it "pop" up? just an example...
[/HIJACK]

I'm not actually certain, but i've heard it several ways. One way is in reference to, say, doing a burn out, where you rev it up and let the clutch out very quickly, causing the tires to spin. The other is in reference to someone who just screwed up a shift, as in "ha ha, he just dumped the clutch and stalled it out". Yeah, not totally sure on that one.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:12 PM

Important to remember regarding a clutch, is that it is used to bring the flywheel up to speed with the engine, not to lower the rpms to that of the flywheel. This requires a gradual release, with slight slippage till the flywheel catches up. Too much slippage can damage the flywheel. Too little is hard on the engine, causing it to "bog down". As to what dropping the clutch means, whatever you want/need it to mean, I geuss.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
You AK guys live a different life...In CO, that is big time illegal, and has some very serious fines associated with it. They pretty much beat that into our heads at the hunter safety courses, and then you get the "quick" review when you go in to get your big game tags every year. Can't tell you how many times i've heard it.
LOL, which aspect of my post are you inferring is illegal? I never meant to imply I intended to shoot from a rig (very illegal and unethical everywhere), I meant scouting, locating and then possibly hiking into a specific area.

Sorry for the confusion

Erich
Old 02-19-2007, 10:19 PM

NO, you a road hunter, you BAD. I jest. That would be a rough law if you couldn't drive in and out of a hunting area, stealthily. Be some long walks, I'd quit huntin'. No, probably not, but I wouldn't like it much.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-19-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like some trickyness to me lol. silent starting...that's great. remember doing this to my celica for fun and function. can work great when ur battery's dead. and yes dropping the clutch means drop it. don't control it at all just pull ur foot off afap.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just another note. I have saw a auto cranked that way... We was pulling it with a chain about 30 and the guy droped into low..{1st} and it turned the motor....so its not imposable
Old 02-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Erich_870
LOL, which aspect of my post are you inferring is illegal? I never meant to imply I intended to shoot from a rig (very illegal and unethical everywhere), I meant scouting, locating and then possibly hiking into a specific area.

Sorry for the confusion

Erich
No, i wasn't trying to bash you for anything, my apologies if it came out that way. I was just suprised, thats all. But yeah, no worries there man, and hopefully you didn't think i was bashing you.

Looks like i missunderstood anyway, cuz yeah, i thought you were shooting from the truck, since you were talking about being all quiet. My bad.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Robrt32
Just another note. I have saw a auto cranked that way... We was pulling it with a chain about 30 and the guy droped into low..{1st} and it turned the motor....so its not imposable
ooo that sound like that would hurt the tranny...

Someone try this and tell me how it works?
I still don't see how, maybe it was an older auto without the safety features the new ones have?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Ya at 30 mph your asking for trouble. Last week I broke down in my fedex truck. Its a 1991 model so it weighs a bit more than the new ones. I pushed it literally 1.5 feet and popped the clutch and the diesel turned over and that was by myself! Ended up breaking back down on the next house over though. Had a broken primary wire going to the injector pump (diesel).