Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hissing sound seeming to come from inside 32/36 weber carb (22r)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hissing sound seeming to come from inside 32/36 weber carb (22r)

Recently I went on a road trip (or attempted to at least) and in order to get where I was going I had to get up a couple of mountains. As I'm driving up this steep mountain, the engine starts sputtering out, and eventually dies. I didn't think too much about it, and I'd just start it back up and continue for about a bit farther until it just died again. Did a u-turn, and rode downhill for most of the way home, barely applying my foot to the gas, and only using it to get up to speed. I get into town, and now it seemed that pushing my foot almost halfway down kills the engine. I pull into my driveway, and shut it off. Later, when I attempted to go to the store, the car wouldn't start at all, unless I had applied gas to it while starting it up. As soon as I let go of the gas, however, it shuts off immediately. The next morning, I was able to turn it on and keep it running, but as soon as the choke was disengaged, the engine sputtered and died instantly. I did notice however, that when leaving my foot on the gas, there was a new hissing sound. Spraying carb cleaner around the base of my weber carb, there was no sign of a vacuum leak. When I took the air filter off and sprayed inside the choke, it would make a rattling sound and continue on hissing, but still sputter (this is with bricks being rested on the gas pedal).

Tuning idle speed, fuel mixture does not seem to do anything at all. If I make the fuel mixture richer, it'll allow the engine to start, sputter at a very low idle, and just die, only to never start up again by itself.
Here's a video of the hissing noise coming from the carburetor.

IMG_2933.MOV

I've looked on previous forums, the only conclusions I've seen are vacuum leaks, bad fuel filter, and bad fuel pump. However, I would really like to see if this is a problem I can fix myself, rather than have to get it towed to a mechanic and drop a lot of money on a solution. I'm also not the best at navigating through engines in general, so if you guys could just explain it to me like I'm an idiot (I probably am) I would really appreciate it. Thanks all
The following users liked this post:
Andy1996hilux22r (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar thing happened to me. Turned out to be a bad fuel shutoff solenoid connection