Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help setup up 1st Gen 4runner Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help setup up 1st Gen 4runner Suspension

Current Setup:
Rear - 3" Superlift leaf srpings w/ cheapy autozone extended shackles (in shortest setting) about 6" lift

Front - 4" superlift w/ ball joint spacers and stock torsion bars set to level the truck.

Procomp MX-6 shock set on softest setting.

The runner rides super stiff and see more than 85% road time. I want to change the suspension to provide a softer more flexible ride and save some wear and tear on parts.

For the front I want to remove the ball joint spacers. For a better ride should I run stock torsion bars on a close to factory setting or should I run SAW torsions backed off most of the way.

For the rear I want a new bolt in lift spring that uses stock hangers. From searching it seems that skyjacker and OME have a decent rep for the ride I want. However I can't find any info on OME leaf springs. I need about a 4" lift and figure I could get it with some combo of spring and shackle. Any other springs that I should consider?

If you saw my post last week I will be ditching the 35's. I've decided to go with the 33 x 10.5 BFG AT as its available in a 15" rim that I already have and locally at a good price.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2006, 07:20 AM

Leaving the BJ spacers in will allow for a softer ride for any given height.

Depending on your budget the very best option for the rear would be a 56" setup. Longer springs are more plentiful and a softer. I would look at the trail-gear setup at its the cheapest, considering shipping is free.

Once you get a 4" spring out back and shorter shackle you can set the front to match. With the BJ spacers in the torsion bars are at a softer setting that they would be without.

Overall the most flex and softest ride will happen by keeping the BJ spacers and going to a 56" leaf in the rear.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
OME spring info:
- http://www.arbusa.com/suspension.php

You don't need 4" of lift to run 33x10.50s:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10
Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 PM

I just bought a set of OME springs for the rear of my 88 4r and installed them this past Saturday. They are really stiff. I know they are new and hopefully will soften up some, but I was really surprised how stiff they are. My 01 tacoma's OME leafs werent that bad.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Which version did you get, the regular or the heavy duty ones?
Some options to break them in faster are to add some weight to the back of the 4Runner for a while, take it off-road and flex them up well or pull a leaf out of the pack for a while (the 2nd to shortest is a good one to pull).
Old 11-08-2006, 05:58 AM

To be honest, I dont know. This was the part number SUOMCS009R. I had some weight in there for a couple day and i just added more. Hopefully they will soften up some. If they dont, then I will try pulling the leaf. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:38 AM

Those are the med duty one, the lightest available. Put some weight in the back of your runner then go drive somewhere that allowing the suspension to flex a ton.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:06 AM

I've ordered the medium duty springs and will keep in mind they may need some weight to settle. I'l drive around with the 35's in the back for a while.

The reason I want to remove the ball joint spacers is twofold. First I don't like the angle the tie rods and cv's are at. Although not horrible I just don't like the look of it. Also in a post I did what seems like forever ago I complained about not being able to hit the bumpstops when I jack up the front wheel (not full travel). I eventually learned that the back of (engine side)upper control arm was hitting the frame. I never figured out how to fix it but also never did anything to bottom out (luckily). Otherwise I'd leave the spacers and back off the torsions all the way.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

SkyJacker Springs are stiff too

I have SJ 6" springs in the rear of my 88 Runner with 'stock' (slightly longer) greasable shackles. After install with the soft top on they rode like bricks. They are now starting to flex and break in with the hard top and me hitting some ruts etc.
I had 4" block on stock spring with AAL on my old 4runner (wrecked) and that rode much nicer then these new springs do. Aside from the better look of the springs, I think I prefer the block whcih surprises me.

Ultimately I also took out the Overload on the SJ springs to reduce ride height and tweak drive line vibration issues. and I ended up getting a CV driveaxle, I could not find a drivline angle with the SJ 6" spring that didn't make the chainsaw sound when I came off the gas or shake the truck like a martini at 20mph.
For a while I yanked off the driveshaft and ran FWD/4WD just to get around with out tearing apart the drivetrain until the CV driveshaft arrived. That fixed everything.

I too have the Superlift in the front with out ball joint spacers, this retains the stock drveline and has been fine in both of the applications I've used it in.