Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hard Brake Line Busted

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 AM
MWS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Brake Line Busted

Lost my brakes this last week and over the weekend I took to finding out where the break is. Hard line going to the rear LSPV. I'm hoping one of you yota guru's can tell me the size of the Brake Line for a stock 94 4Runner. I'm just going to go to Advanced Auto Parts and buy some bulk line and re-Route them from behind the Gas Tank. So if anybody could throw me a bone here and let me know what the diameter of the brake line is and what size fittings I need, that way I can stop on the way home from work to pick up the supplies I need versus going home pulling the brake line and taking it in....thanks in advance for the help....
Old 05-05-2008, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MWS
Lost my brakes this last week and over the weekend I took to finding out where the break is. Hard line going to the rear LSPV. I'm hoping one of you yota guru's can tell me the size of the Brake Line for a stock 94 4Runner. I'm just going to go to Advanced Auto Parts and buy some bulk line and re-Route them from behind the Gas Tank. So if anybody could throw me a bone here and let me know what the diameter of the brake line is and what size fittings I need, that way I can stop on the way home from work to pick up the supplies I need versus going home pulling the brake line and taking it in....thanks in advance for the help....

3/16th x 10 mm double inverted flare
Old 05-05-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The OEM hard lines are pretty durn cheap...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

if only they sold them cheap here in Belize. i have to replace my brake lines to the rear beause the rust made them rotten. so i replace them with copper because that is all they have that wont rust
Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Squiddy
The OEM hard lines are pretty durn cheap...
X2, plus they come with all the bends around the little nooks and the fittings are already on.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
MWS

Originally Posted by mt_goat
X2, plus they come with all the bends around the little nooks and the fittings are already on.

I hear ya on the price, but the actual install is the PITA that i'm trying to avoid. I was under there on Saturday, and moved the gas tank to see where the break is. I was just thinking it would be easier to re-route the brake lines to an easier place.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by MWS
I hear ya on the price, but the actual install is the PITA that i'm trying to avoid. I was under there on Saturday, and moved the gas tank to see where the break is. I was just thinking it would be easier to re-route the brake lines to an easier place.

Oh man! You broke the main hard line coming back? that sucks! Is it the return or pressure line? If it is the return line it would probably be easier to remove it and swap in a brake proportion valve, eliminating the LPSV and return brake line completely.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 AM
MWS

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
Oh man! You broke the main hard line coming back? that sucks! Is it the return or pressure line? If it is the return line it would probably be easier to remove it and swap in a brake proportion valve, eliminating the LPSV and return brake line completely.

I'm not sure which line is the pressure and which is the return. Of the two lines going back it is the one mounted lowest. any idea?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MWS
Yeah gotcha, I had the engine, tranny and the driveshafts out of the way when I did mine.

BTW a tranny jack works good for moving a gas tank over:

Old 05-05-2008, 08:38 AM

You might want to replace both rear lines at the same time. If one is rotten the other may not be far behind.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 AM
MWS

Originally Posted by PCE91V64x4
You might want to replace both rear lines at the same time. If one is rotten the other may not be far behind.

Already gonna happen.....I don't want to worry about this again....
Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by MWS

Like I said...you might wanna look into doing that brake prop valve install....

Could be around the same price as that return line (which you wouldnt need anymore...I have not priced them out from toyota in a while)
Old 05-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MWS
Yeah braking is more important going... LOL. Especially on some trails:

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-05-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 AM
MWS

Hey guys I got a question, I have the opportunity to get a SS braided hose made at a vendor of mine for a signifigantly reduced price. I was wondering if you think 10 feet would be enough to make it from the front distribution block (passenger side frame) to the LSPV in the rear. I think 10 feet would be plenty but just want to make sure you yotaguru's agree.....thanks for all the help guys.....
Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by MWS
Hey guys I got a question, I have the opportunity to get a SS braided hose made at a vendor of mine for a signifigantly reduced price. I was wondering if you think 10 feet would be enough to make it from the front distribution block (passenger side frame) to the LSPV in the rear. I think 10 feet would be plenty but just want to make sure you yotaguru's agree.....thanks for all the help guys.....

Sure but remember that a braided hose will not offer the same braking pressure as a hard line. I wouldnt do it. SS lines have Teflon hose on the inside that expands under braking pressure. This is fine for short distances. The SS braid helps with expansion but will not offer the same pressure as a hard line. I would expect a spongy feel to the brakes and decreased response time in braking (possible safety issue)
Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MWS
Yeah I started to go that route too. Even went so far as to buy the hose and fittings. As I was reading all the warnings about not being DOT approved and fitting install instructions looked far from fool proof...and the fact that I like to wheel on the edge of 1000ft cliffs, I got 2nd thoughts and decided to go with the OEM hard lines.

Here's some info I found on going that way at the time:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23361.0
Old 05-06-2008, 07:10 AM
MWS

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah I started to go that route too. Even went so far as to buy the hose and fittings. As I was reading all the warnings about not being DOT approved and fitting install instructions looked far from fool proof...
Well I hear what you are saying, but the lines i'm gonna get are going to be pre-made at a local hose shop, they are DOT approved AND will have swivel ends on them.....i think i'm gonna give it a run.....
Old 05-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MWS
Well I hear what you are saying, but the lines i'm gonna get are going to be pre-made at a local hose shop, they are DOT approved AND will have swivel ends on them.....i think i'm gonna give it a run.....
Yeah, that sounds better than the way I was looking at doing it.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 AM

Did you read this?
Sure but remember that a braided hose will not offer the same braking pressure as a hard line. I wouldnt do it. SS lines have Teflon hose on the inside that expands under braking pressure. This is fine for short distances. The SS braid helps with expansion but will not offer the same pressure as a hard line. I would expect a spongy feel to the brakes and decreased response time in braking (possible safety issue)
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
MWS

Did you read this?
Sure did, and when I talked to my hose guy I asked him and he said that since the diameter is so small (3/16) the amount of flex is negligable and that is how they run the lines on a lot of the trucks they see in the shop...last longer and is way easier to run....and they use 1/4 hose.

And to be perfectly honest, i'm not a big off roader. This is my daily driver rig. I"m a big guy so the lift was more of a convenience thing.

I really appreciate your input cuz these are the things I like to hear about before I run into a problem later on down the line.

Any knowledge is good knowledge.....

Quick Reply: Hard Brake Line Busted