86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

h2o

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
h2o

whats the deepest amount of water my runner can handle without issues? stock. no mods. i understand it shouldnt be anywhere near the air intake but i dont know if its really good for the parts to be in water that high. even below the grille. im not sure. anyone taken a stock runner thru water recently? any issues?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to guess here; both axles have diff breathers on them, they are generally self sealed from water. However, they release pressure from differing temps according to inside/outside the diff body. If you have been driving a bit, to get it to normal operating temps, and then you temporarily drive through water over the axles, that would proly be no prob. however, I would think, that if you stayed above that level, more than say 10 seconds, the diff in temps would cause the breathers to open, and then you would be letting in water.
Not such a good idea. That is why a lot of dudes here put on diff ext. breather hoses.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, should post in the n00b section really

=P

Well first, unless you have hoses on your axles (differentials) then your going to get water in them, if you ever submerge them. And anyone knows oil/grease + water don't agree with metal.

So unless you plan to go deeper than the bottoms of your axles then either A) breathe them B) plan on damage or just change the oil everytime you submerge them

if your IFS, or solid axle, guess it dont matter. It's good practice to repack your hub bearings after you submerge them for a good period of time (ie 10 minutes imo) .. otherwise plan on replacing hub bearings frequently which btw isnt cheap. ... IMO... no... IME .. I've learned this through experience and advice. Sometimes people dont "get it" till their wallet and time gets hit hard

Ok so no we're in water up above the axles. Well as long as water dont hit the intake, you're fine on a catastrophic level (engine relating)... but expect your distributor to get wet.. that radiator fan LOVES to soak that f*ker!

So ya, your fine, as long as water dont get in the intake, but even if you arent in water up to it, or near it, you can still get water in it and just plan on getting the distributor wet, and be prepared for when it happens (take it off dry it out) AVOID WATER

WATER is your enemy. And when you have to deal with it, go slow. Splashing is fun in all until your engine is f*ked. Then its not fun anymore... hell .. no hopefully before that you've had to repack your hubs a few times, then you really start to avoid it! ....

Anyone who says experience doesn't make you wiser is full of Sh11t!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by drew303
Wow, should post in the n00b section really

=P

Well first, unless you have hoses on your axles (differentials) then your going to get water in them, if you ever submerge them. And anyone knows oil/grease + water don't agree with metal.

So unless you plan to go deeper than the bottoms of your axles then either A) breathe them B) plan on damage or just change the oil everytime you submerge them

if your IFS, or solid axle, guess it dont matter. It's good practice to repack your hub bearings after you submerge them for a good period of time (ie 10 minutes imo) .. otherwise plan on replacing hub bearings frequently which btw isnt cheap. ... IMO... no... IME .. I've learned this through experience and advice. Sometimes people dont "get it" till their wallet and time gets hit hard

Ok so no we're in water up above the axles. Well as long as water dont hit the intake, you're fine on a catastrophic level (engine relating)... but expect your distributor to get wet.. that radiator fan LOVES to soak that f*ker!

So ya, your fine, as long as water dont get in the intake, but even if you arent in water up to it, or near it, you can still get water in it and just plan on getting the distributor wet, and be prepared for when it happens (take it off dry it out) AVOID WATER

WATER is your enemy. And when you have to deal with it, go slow. Splashing is fun in all until your engine is f*ked. Then its not fun anymore... hell .. no hopefully before that you've had to repack your hubs a few times, then you really start to avoid it! ....

Anyone who says experience doesn't make you wiser is full of Sh11t!

I think that's a fair enough question. Good answer though, I think it was only after I almost rusted out the inside of my hub that I thought about water entering the wheel bearings.

Even after heavy rain and lots of <6" deep puddles, I grease my driveshaft joints and steering stops. Water really washes that grease away fast. Takes me 5 minutes.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...mmm , I love good advice. Warms the soul. I never thought about regreasing, also good advice. I wonder , if you need to use grease, or could you just use a spray lube? Such as clp? not wd -40.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerruck
...mmm , I love good advice. Warms the soul. I never thought about regreasing, also good advice. I wonder , if you need to use grease, or could you just use a spray lube? Such as clp? not wd -40.
why use spray lube? when you grease through the fitting it pushes the crap from the inside out then you just have your pure fresh grease in there.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerruck

No, that won't work. That's very light oil, joints need heavy grease. Grease guns cost $10-20 and they inject grease through a special fitting called a "zerk fitting" onto the bearing surfaces of the joint.