86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

got a 4runner, did i get a good deal???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got a 4runner, did i get a good deal???

hey guys...

picked up a 4runner yesterday...

a good friend of mine was driving it and putting money into it every once and a while when something would break. recently the calipers and rotors went bad, and she dident want to put anymore money into the runner. she got a silverado and this just sat in her driveway. she knows i like trucks and stuff and she wanted me to have it. it looked at it after school one day andoffered her 450, and to my supprise she said yes.

the good...
only speck of rust on the whole truck is on the back bumper
new factory steering pump
the first truck ive bought that the ac works
no valve cover leaks 99.999% sure
evenly worn bfg ats on american racing wheels
at tranny serviced recently
another cool thing is that it has the origional grease point alerts and instructions on how to shift the transfer case in the sun visor

the not so good...

something wrong in charging circuit, so far i think the altinator is on its way out...
everyonce in a while the idle lopes just like my pickup (<that really burnes me up, i CAN NOT figure out why i does it...)
it has an auto tranny
front cv's knock/clank at full lock in 4 wheel drive
bad idler arm

anyways heres the pics...

let me know what you guys think???

i was origionally gonna just use it as a parts truck, but my thinking has changed a little... i know i want the motor and windshield, grille and turn signals, and some other odds and ends. then i was gonna part the truck out to you guys and then whatever was left i was going to send to a junkyard, but now i might try and keep it (somewhat) complete, and sell it as a fixer-upper... i just dont know... let me know you guys thoughts.

thanks for any advice!!!!!

Last edited by MIKEMOKAS; 11-19-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 PM

Ha if it only needs brakes and an alternator, or even a decent amount of electrical work, it's well worth $450 in my opinion. I'd also rip those running boards off asap, even if I was sending it to the junkyard lol.

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 11-19-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont ppart...its to nice, keep it as a back up truck
Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Albert.G
dont ppart...its to nice, keep it as a back up truck
x2, and start building it up at the same time...slowly but surely it'll become something awesome, although it might take a little bit of this
Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

$450?!?!!? WTF? Hell ya, that's a good deal. If you don't think so, I'll give you $475 for it and you can make a $25 profit in less than a day. lol.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you got a deal...
big question is... are you happy with it?
I would'nt part it out... sounds like for a little cash you could come out way ahead selling it at full price...
Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 AM

Don't put a wrench anywhere near it I'll give you $500 for it and come get it this weekend.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:06 PM

Smart Alec!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
450? what the hell

that's $4500 here. or more
Old 11-20-2007, 02:55 PM

you stole it
Old 11-20-2007, 03:46 PM

you could turn around and sell it as is for a VERY large profit. so i would say your posting up to gloat over your awesome deal.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:52 PM

Why don't I ever find deals like that? Looks to me like a great project truck....slow build is better than no build.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats a bloody good deal. That price here in Canada would net you nothing even close, try $3500. If you meant $4500, well that maybe a little steep, but not a bad deal.

Check your steering stops, they also make a clanking noise. Yes, they will clank in 2wd as well but I only noticed the clanking in 4wd because I don't usually go full lock over bumpy terrain in 2wd. Hopefully that saves you some money.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 PM

good deal? i should say so...she practically GAVE it to you!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i'd fix the couple issues, and turn around and sell it for a lot more than you bought it for
Old 11-20-2007, 10:55 PM

i wasent trying to show off or anything when i posted this... i thought hands down that it was a deal when i wanted it, and now that i have it a couple hands have flown up, but i mean its a running 4wd, $450 is a great price.

updates...

nobody ever greased the wheel studs so one lug is frozen on the drivers front... <pissing me off!

the front suspension knock is the idle arm FLOPING around, and i think that wore out the pass side tie rod ends with it.

needs front pads, and rear shoes.
needs rear wheel cylinders.
needs rotors turned, or just new rotors.
needs new alternator, or rebuild factory unit.
auto tranny shifter is all loose.

i THINK thats all it needs to be road worthy...

ohhh, and the wireing under the dash is all ed up, funny story> i was cleaning it up last night and out of no where the losck start going up and down and the door buzzer was going of and it almist sounded like a beat. a couple of my buddies were over and they started making fun of it... we laughed pretty hard. finally i grew tired of it and looked under the dash and fiound an old aftermarket "security system" i unplugged all of the wires going to it and it stopped singing. so now ill need to go get rid of the dumb stuff thats just sitting under there...

i think once i get the parts off it that i want im going to fix up whats needed to make it a dd and sell it as a complete running unit.

are vehicles really worth that much in canada?

keep the advice coming!
thanks guys!

Last edited by MIKEMOKAS; 11-20-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most Canadians still rely on dog sleds in winter and the most of roads aren't paved, thus car and trucks are a novelty item up North- so they cost more.

With your updated list of problems and the implied condition (lug nuts frozen = tires not rotated in a long time etc), a vehicle like that would go for maybe $2200 or a little more. The rust free bit would be a huge selling feature as in the winter, just about everywhere in Canada the roads are salted in winter and on the warmer West Coast, there's a lot of rain. You simply will not find many 2nd gen 4Runner in Vancouver that does not have rust. I can't say I saw a single rust free one when I was buying. I checked out 19 4Runners and Trucks.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:39 AM

you got a killer deal i was willing to fork over 2500 for my 90 4runner with 300,000 ( i love the 2 door )
Old 11-21-2007, 02:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As for the stuck lug, try a little PB blaster and heat on it and it that still won't work, break it off. When you replace the rotors you can get a new stud. Never put grease on lugs. You can use a little WD40 to make installation easier but if you use grease you'll have lugs flying off going down the road.

I bet if you sink $500 and some elbow grease into that you can pocket $3k off of it. Great find.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by MIKEMOKAS
i wasent trying to show off or anything when i posted this... i thought hands down that it was a deal when i wanted it, and now that i have it a couple hands have flown up, but i mean its a running 4wd, $450 is a great price.

updates...

nobody ever greased the wheel studs so one lug is frozen on the drivers front... <pissing me off!

the front suspension knock is the idle arm FLOPING around, and i think that wore out the pass side tie rod ends with it.

needs front pads, and rear shoes.
needs rear wheel cylinders.
needs rotors turned, or just new rotors.
needs new alternator, or rebuild factory unit.
auto tranny shifter is all loose.

i THINK thats all it needs to be road worthy...

ohhh, and the wireing under the dash is all ed up, funny story> i was cleaning it up last night and out of no where the losck start going up and down and the door buzzer was going of and it almist sounded like a beat. a couple of my buddies were over and they started making fun of it... we laughed pretty hard. finally i grew tired of it and looked under the dash and fiound an old aftermarket "security system" i unplugged all of the wires going to it and it stopped singing. so now ill need to go get rid of the dumb stuff thats just sitting under there...

i think once i get the parts off it that i want im going to fix up whats needed to make it a dd and sell it as a complete running unit.

are vehicles really worth that much in canada?

keep the advice coming!
thanks guys!
if you're planning to sell, see if you can make friends with someone who works at a parts store. I bought new rotors, pads, shoes, drums, and springs from a buddy who works at a heavy truck dealer for $180. Awesome source of parts

Quick Reply: got a 4runner, did i get a good deal???