Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Injector Clips

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I got my 87 turbo p/u it was randomly dropping a cylinder. Found out the back Injector plug was partially broke and missing that little metal clip. Found a place called connectorsfast.com and the guy sold me on a new updated version of that connector. No more metal clip to lose. It has heavy gauge metal wire that you squeeze on each side and the plastic part is thicker/heavier duty. I bought 4 with I think 4 inch pigtails to cut off my old ones and solder/heatshrink the new ones on. I think they were about $4 a piece. I think they're great! It was nice when I had to do the headgasket. Just squeeze the sides and pull slightly and they came right off. When installing back on they pushed right on with a nice audible click. Nice and tight.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
When I got my 87 turbo p/u it was randomly dropping a cylinder. Found out the back Injector plug was partially broke and missing that little metal clip. Found a place called connectorsfast.com and the guy sold me on a new updated version of that connector. No more metal clip to lose. It has heavy gauge metal wire that you squeeze on each side and the plastic part is thicker/heavier duty. I bought 4 with I think 4 inch pigtails to cut off my old ones and solder/heatshrink the new ones on. I think they were about $4 a piece. I think they're great! It was nice when I had to do the headgasket. Just squeeze the sides and pull slightly and they came right off. When installing back on they pushed right on with a nice audible click. Nice and tight.
I will check into those! Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Please post how you makeout !!!

I would love a bunch of them myself.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Alex at connectorsfast is a great guy to deal with. I keep his business card next to the computer. I have used his connectors on several harnesses. Today I used some clips from the injectors off of a junk harness for the Cold Start Injector Time switch and the Water Temp Sensor. They fit great. Works when in a bind.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-19-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Alex at connectorsfast is a great guy to deal with. I keep his business card next to the computer. I have used his connectors on several harnesses. Today I used some clips from the injectors off of a junk harness for the Cold Start Injector Time switch and the Water Temp Sensor. They fit great. Works when in a bind.
I'll probably order two more of the updated plugs for the water temp and cold start time switch some day just because they are the same and less hassle to remove/Install for later work in the future.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:22 AM

I ordered an assortment set of crush washers and they arrived today. Tried matching up a crush washer that was pretty close in size and installing. Unfortunately, I stripped the female fitting that the banjo bolt screws into. Im going to start looking on line but any suggestions are welcome.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

If you stripped the threads in the Cold Start Injector, you will need another CSI. That is under alot of pressure and will leak if not careful. Just replace it. I know of a couple of fires from a leaking CSI.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:00 PM

If you stripped the threads in the Cold Start Injector, you will need another CSI. That is under alot of pressure and will leak if not careful. Just replace it. I know of a couple of fires from a leaking CSI.
I see some listed on ebay that look identical to mine, but they are for a much newer year model. And i want to say they were listed for a 6 cylinder

Last edited by bicklebok; 05-23-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am sure 85-95 are all interchangeable, not sure about newer then that and if the 3.0 uses the same injector.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:20 PM

I am sure 85-95 are all interchangeable, not sure about newer then that and if the 3.0 uses the same injector.
Ok. Thanks Terry. I may take a chance on the 6 cylinder used one because a new one for the 22re is about $200!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:03 PM

If anyone knows of a cold start valve thats interchangeable with the 22re, please let me know. I havent been able to find a used one on line and a new one is quite expensive. Guess this may end up being a costly mistake!! But on a positive note, and since nothing else was going right, I took the time to look for the crush washers that fell and found 2 of them!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:13 AM

Red face Cold Start injector ??

Hi;

I am pretty sure I should have some laying around .

Just what all do you need ??

off a 22Rec engine
Old 05-25-2015, 10:58 AM

Youre a life saver Wyoming! Its an 86 22RE.

I guess I would take the whole cold start injector with banjo bolt and all if I can afford it and you will sell it
Old 05-29-2015, 11:51 PM

Red face

Now that parts are on the way.

Just how did you manage to strip the threads???

Get the banjo bolt cross threaded or use a 3/4" breaker bar to snug things up ??

Fess up we all do these things some just way more often then others.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:35 PM

Funny Wyoming!

Im really not sure how I did it. Im usually pretty careful with critical things like this. I think I may have had some help stripping it from the previous owner, as there were 4 crush washers on the outside part of the banjo bolt. Thats a good hint something wasnt right.

But hey, ultimately I finished it off somehow!
Old 06-05-2015, 03:39 PM

Well, I got her all back together this afternoon. Thank you Wyoming for the cold start injector!

No fuel leaks and she started right up. Unfortunately, it's still skipping on the 1st cylinder.

A refresher on memory: has compression, spark plug is good and plug wires are good. I guess the next thing to do would be check the injector harness on that injector. I probably should have done that to start with, but wanted to have the injectors cleaned anyway.

Any other suggestions, tips? Thanks guys!
Old 06-05-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
witch hunter strikes again!!
Old 06-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Pull one plug wire off at a time and see which cylinder it is missing on. Once you find the cylinder that is not operating, I would check to see if it is getting fire to the plug.

Then I would see if the ECU is sending the signal to the injector, which I do suspect your ECU is good as the others would not operate. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ If the LED lights up, most likely a crimp is not letting enough voltage thru to operate the injector.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:16 PM

Funny Wally! Guess I need to check that injector just to make sure its good.

Terryy, thank you for the advice. I have already done the pulling one wire at a time test and narrowed it down to the 1st cylinder. Swapped plugs, plug wires, and checked compression. So it has to be something fuel related on that one cylinder.

I will try your second suggestion. Thank you for the tips! Will report back sometime tomorrow

Pull one plug wire off at a time and see which cylinder it is missing on. Once you find the cylinder that is not operating, I would check to see if it is getting fire to the plug.

Then I would see if the ECU is sending the signal to the injector, which I do suspect your ECU is good as the others would not operate. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ If the LED lights up, most likely a crimp is not letting enough voltage thru to operate the injector.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:32 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
i wish it were just funny, but that was my experience. sent out my injectors to witch hunter, got them back quickly, and installed them that day. less than one week later, one had failed. eventually replaced that one. a month later, another failed. i ended up buying 4 "new" injectors from another vendor and installed those - 3 months ago, and running fine.

you can test whether the injector is bad or the wiring is bad by swapping the connectors (ie, plug #1 switch with plug #2, since all the injectors are fired at the same time). if the problem migrates to injector 2, the problem is in the wiring that goes to that injector. if the problem stays at injector 1, you know it has failed again.

wally

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Clips