86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front sway bar removal.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front sway bar removal.

'91 4Runner SR5 V6 (swapped 3.4) Auto 4x4.

I see quite a few people have removed the front sway bar saying this gives a better ride. The brackets on mine are broken and the bolts have sheared off so its just hanging there. Should I fix the brackets or just remove the whole thing and forget about it? Can it be removed without taking the front wheels off?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just remove it, you won`t miss it. You should be able to remove it with the wheels on, but it would be easier if you removed them.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornering will suffer (body roll) - but unless you like to take fast corners like I do you won't miss it IMO. Since yours is already "dangling in the breeze" you are essentially getting a swaybar-less ride now

There's always the quick disconnect mod as well...

Old 10-20-2010, 04:45 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
i removed mine (broke bolts when working on my driveshaft etc..) and have noticed zero change in the ride or handling.

have to be certain that it's not required for vehicle inspection though.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:55 PM

You must not drive like I do I guess the urethane bushings also made mine more effective in high-speed cornering - but there was an absolute difference w/o it (I'm talking on-road). UK Runner won't notice any difference because his is essentially 100% useless in it's current state
Old 10-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Yeah there is a lot of body roll but I really dont drive it hard. If I wanted to reconnect it, what are my options? The bolts are sheared right at the surface. I dont see any easy way of ever getting them out.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've heard very conflicting reports about this. Some people say it makes your ride garbage, some say it doesn't do anything. I wanna take mine off but the bolts will probably break if i do and i don't want to be stuck with a crappy ride if i do remove it.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:09 PM

I'm far from a broken blt expert! But "1990yota-pickup" recommended this stuff in another thread (gas tank) to loosen any rust:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0&sst=subset

Then maybe an eazy-out or similar?

I'm in a similar boat with my front A-Arm mounts - a buddy of mine crossthreaded one of them and I really don't think I'll be able to get it out w/o snapping it (I'm surprised he ws able to tighten it all the way down!). I have no clue how to get at it with the boxed frame and all

Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM

RE Swimmerboy - You will have better "independence" of your front L/R if you remove it which is a no-bainer for crawling and rough un-even terrain IMO. For highway driving and on-road cornering - the sway bar makes a marked improvement in body roll (aka: Faster Corners )

You can make cheap quick-disconnects if you want - or simply try it with and without in all of your usual driving conditions and see which you prefer. I'm mainly a daily driver - so I prefer on-road cornering hands down...

Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Randyman...
RE Swimmerboy - You will have better "independence" of your front L/R if you remove it which is a no-bainer for crawling and rough un-even terrain IMO. For highway driving and on-road cornering - the sway bar makes a marked improvement in body roll (aka: Faster Corners )

You can make cheap quick-disconnects if you want - or simply try it with and without in all of your usual driving conditions and see which you prefer. I'm mainly a daily driver - so I prefer on-road cornering hands down...

Thanks for the input Randyman, i guess tomorrow if its not bitter cold out, i can go out and do some wrenchin. My 4Runner is my DD until i get another DD and can use this primarily for wheelin.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I've heard very conflicting reports about this. Some people say it makes your ride garbage, some say it doesn't do anything. I wanna take mine off but the bolts will probably break if i do and i don't want to be stuck with a crappy ride if i do remove it.
For a quick test, just disconnect one or both of the end links at the control arms and see how it works for you. If it handles OK, then remove the brackets from the frame, if not, put the end links back on.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 PM

PS - If your bushings are worn consider replacing them as the swaybar's effect is greatly lessened with worn bushings...

PPS - If you disconnect BOTH end links you'll need to tie the swaybar up with wire so it doesn't flap around

Last edited by vital22re; 10-21-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
For a quick test, just disconnect one or both of the end links at the control arms and see how it works for you. If it handles OK, then remove the brackets from the frame, if not, put the end links back on.
That's a good idea.

Originally Posted by Randyman...
PS - If your bushings are worn consider replacing them as the swaybar's effect is greatly lessened with worn bushings...

Well my bushings are 24.5 years old so i'm sure they're not the greatest...
Old 10-20-2010, 06:51 PM

Well for now I'm going to pull it out until I can get the bolts out. I do very little off roading with it and what I do is mild enough that a sway bar fitted wont effect the trip. I'd like a little tighter handling. Who makes poly bushings for front and rear suspension?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 PM

I haven't checked in close to 10 years, but I got my Urethane suspension bushings from NWOR. Coming from the worn stock rubber ones was night and day. The ride will be a bit bumpier since the rubber isn't there to cushion the ride as much, but the tightness and handling/steering respose is VERY nice IMNSHO. Just make sure you or your buddy doesn't crossthrerad the A-Arm bolts when you re-install everything like my buddy did to my truck :mad: (10 years later and I'm still pissed!)

I'd get an alignment afterwards, too

Old 10-20-2010, 07:02 PM

Alignment, there's something i desperately need but i've been pushing it off until after my lift.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Tires ain't cheap (at least BFG's aren't )
Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM

I need one of those too. Both front tires are wearing more on the inside. Runs down the road perfectly straight and smooth though.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by UKrunner
I need one of those too. Both front tires are wearing more on the inside. Runs down the road perfectly straight and smooth though.
Mine is just the opposite, the outsides wear more than the insides.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:18 PM

if you take the sway bar off will it make your tires wear unevenly

Quick Reply: Front sway bar removal.